- Microsoft Build 2017, .NET Core 2.0 status, Happy birthday .NET with Eilon Lipton, On .NET with Alfonso García-Caro on Fable, Stanford CoreNLP
- .NET Architecture, .NET Core 2.0 status, Happy Birthday .NET with Matt Gertz, On .NET with Don Schenck on Red Hat, Fable
- Happy Birthday .NET with Chris Sells, free ASP.NET Core book, We are the Dwarves
Microsoft Build 2017
The Microsoft Build 2017 conference is over. Here are some of the announcements and highlights:
- Keynote Day 1, day 2, and Keynote Recap with Scott Guthrie with Scott Guthrie.
- New innovations at Microsoft Build 2017: Helping developers achieve more by Scott Guthrie.
- A fresh update to Visual Studio 2017 and the next preview by John Montgomery.
- Visual Studio for Mac: now generally available by Miguel de Icaza.
- Languages with Mads, Dustin, Phillip and Anthony with Mads Torgersen, Dustin Campbell, Anthony D. Green, and Phillip Carter.
- The future of C# by Mads Torgersen and Dustin Campbell.
- Why you should use F# by Mads Torgersen and Phillip Carter.
- Three Runtimes, one standard… .NET Standard: All in Visual Studio 2017 by Scott Hunter, Scott Hanselman, Kasey Uhlenhuth.
- .NET Standard 2.0 and .NET Core 2.0 with Damian Edwards, Scott Hunter, Immo Landwerth, and Richard Lander.
- Introducing ASP.NET Core 2.0 by Daniel Roth, Scott Hanselman, Maria Naggaga Nakanwagi.
- Visual Studio for Mac by Miguel de Icaza and Joseph Hill.
- Xamarin: The future of mobile app development by Miguel de Icaza and James Montemagno.
- Entity Framework Core 2.0: data, mobile, server, IoT, and more by Rowan Miller.
- Microservice architecture with ASP.NET Core by Glenn Condron, Cesar De Ia Torre Llorente.
- Advanced cross-platform mobile apps with Azure Mobile Apps and Xamarin by James Montemagno.
- .NET Core and Visual Studio for Mac by Kendra Havens.
- Visual Studio for Mac and Xamarin Live Player with Miguel de Icaza, Joseph Hill, and Mikayla Hutchinson.
- Containerizing your Microsoft ASP.NET 4.x apps and Get my ASP.NET 4 app running in containers in Azure by Mikkel Mork Hegnhoj.
- Unity game development with Visual Studio by Jb Evain.
- Snapshot debugging and profiling in Microsoft Azure: Next generation diagnostics for your in-production cloud apps by Dan Taylor,and Nikhil Joglekar.
- How to really share code with Xamarin by Peter Bryntesson.
- Virtual and mixed reality apps with C# by Mikayla Hutchinson.
- Getting started with Aurelia and ASP.NET Core by Rob Eisenberg.
- ASP.NET Web Forms updates by Jeffrey T. Fritz.
- What’s new in Xamarin.Forms by Jason Smith.
- SignalR .NET Core: Realtime cross-platform open by Damian Edwards and David Fowler.
And of course, all the sessions are available on Channel 9.
.NET Core 2.0 preview 1 shipped!
Here are the announcements:
- Announcing .NET Core 2.0 Preview 1
- Announcing ASP.NET Core 2.0.0-Preview1 and Updates for .NET Web Developers
- Announcing EF Core 2.0 Preview 1
And Mono 5 also shipped!
Game of the Week: For the King
For the King is a fun and unique take on an the classic RPG adventure game genre as it blends strategy, JRPG combat and roguelike elements beautifully. In For the King, you control three adventurers who set out on a journey to help squash the chaos that is rising due to the king being murdered. Each turn, you must make critical strategic decisions that can very easily result in your entire party being wiped out. For the King is intentionally unforgiving as you are expected to learn from your mistakes after each death and come back stronger.
Meetup of the week: Introduction to Docker on Azure in Perth, Australia
- The .NET Core 2.0 Preview 1, version numbers and global.json by Andrew Lock.
- What is .NET Standard anyway? by Jonathan Mezach.
- .NET Core May 2017 Update by Lee Coward.
- .NET Framework May 2017 Monthly Rollup by Rich Lander.
- Garbage collection and variable lifetime tracking by Sergey Teplyakov.
- Visual Studio Test Platform, MSTest V2 – Transparent Development by Pratap Lakshman.
- BUILD 2017 Conference Rollup for .NET Developers by Scott Hanselman.
- Managing dotnet Core 2.0 and dotnet Core 1.x versioned SDKs on the same machine by Scott Hanselman.
- Mixed producer-consumer scenario in .NET by Gérald Barré.
- Self Descriptive HTTP API in ASP.NET Core: Hypermedia by Derek Comartin.
- Anti-Forgery Validation with ASP.NET Core MVC and Angular by Damien Bowden.
- Speed Up Your ASP.NET MVC Application with Doughnut Hole Caching by Peter Vogel.
- Getting started with ASP.NET Core 2.0 Preview 1A quick tour of the main structural changes by Steve Gordon.
- Preparing for Chrome’s Certificate Transparency policy – Expect-CT with reporting in ASP.NET Core by Tomasz Pęczek.
- Docker Compose ASP.NET Core to Nano Image with Windows Container by Wu Shuai.
- Customization And Localization Of ASP.NET Core MVC Default Validation Error Messages by Francesco Abbruzzese.
- Secure your ASP.NET Core MVC and Web API app using Google by jonhilton.net.
- Using ImageSharp to resize images in ASP.NET Core – Part 3: caching by Andrew Lock.
- ASP.NET Core in Visual Studio for Mac by Amr El Sehemy.
- F# support in Rider – what’s there and what’s coming by JetBrains.
- Early Fable Adventures %96 Building A Memory Tiles Game by Tom Prior.
- Why you should use F# by Mads Torgerson and Phillip Carter.
- RGB LED with FSharp and NusbioMCU (F#) by Nusbio MadeInTheUSB.
- Intuitive distributed algorithms with F# by Natalia Dzenisenka and Alena Hall.
- Implementing a C# interface with an F# type by Andras Nemes.
- All Things Mobile at Microsoft Build by Nat Friedman.
- Xamarin Stable Release: 15.2 by Bri Brothers.
- Xamarin Alpha Release: 15.3 Preview 1 by Bri Brothers.
- Pre-release: Xamarin.Forms 188.8.131.52-pre3 by David Ortinau.
- Building a Remote Control Companion App for Android with Project Rome by Shawn Henry.
- Xamarin Podcast: Exploring the Android Support Libraries & Google Play Services by James Montemagno.
- So Many More Xamarin Dev Days! by Jayme Singleton.
- Previewing the Xamarin Live Players for Visual Studio by Miguel de Icaza.
- Visual Studio for Mac: now generally available by Miguel de Icaza.
- More Platforms, More Choices, More Power: Visual Studio Mobile Center at Build by Keith Ballinger.
- Visual Studio Mobile Center: A Better Way To Build Mobile Apps by Greg Shackles.
- Accessibility Support in Xamarin Forms by Adam Pedley.
- How a default behavior change broke Mac App Store Submissions by Chris Hamons.
- Fantastic Fonts in Forms Without the Fuss by Matthew Soucoup.
- Things I Think Are Cool: Event to Command Behavior by Matthew Soucoup.
- iOS UITableViewCellStyle in Xamarin.Forms by Gerald Versluis.
- Basic Patterns of Mobile Navigation by Nick Babich.
- Azure Functions Runtime overview by Andrew Westgarth.
- Use Azure Media Services to Find Filler Words by Carlos Mendible.
- Visual Studio 2017 Tools for Azure Functions by Andrew B Hall.
- Use results from a load/performance test and Application Insights to solve performance problems by Patrick van Kleef.
- Data access via SqlDataReader in ASP.NET Core 1.1 and 2.0 by jhealy.
- Exploring DataTable and SqlDBAdapter in ASP.NET Core 2.0 by jhealy.
- Announcing Windows Template Studio by Clint Rutkas and Michael Crump.
- Windows Template Studio Resource Roundup by Michael Crump.
- Introducing Microsoft’s new Ad Monetization Platform By Vijay Rajagopalan.
- Windows is home for developers with Windows 10 Fall Creators Update By Kevin Gallo.
- Windows 10 SDK Preview Build 16190 Released By Clint Rutkas.
- Windows Mixed Reality Dev Kits available for pre-order By Windows Apps Team.
- Cortana Skills Kit empowers developers to build intelligent experiences for millions of users By Gurpreet Singh Pall.
- Announcing Microsoft’s Ad Mediation Service By Parth Pandya.
- Delivering world-class game experiences using Microsoft Azure: Lessons learned from titles like Halo, Hitman, and Walking Dead by Gowtham Prasad.
- Unity game development with Visual Studio for Mac by Jb Evain.
- Introducing Standard Events by Marc Tanenbaum.
- Unity Editor Scripting (A kick-starter guide) – Part 2
- Game Design Deep Dive: Creating a one-touch platformer in ZIP ZAP by Philipp Stollenmayer.
- ColorGradingFilter for Monogame and XNA.
- Unity 5: Loading Screen/Bar by Dual Core Studio.
And this is it for this week!
Contribute to the week in .NET
As always, this weekly post couldn’t exist without community contributions, and I’d like to thank all those who sent links and tips. The F# section is provided by Phillip Carter, the gaming section by Stacey Haffner, the Xamarin section by Dan Rigby, and the UWP section by Michael Crump.
You can participate too. Did you write a great blog post, or just read one? Do you want everyone to know about an amazing new contribution or a useful library? Did you make or play a great game built on .NET? We’d love to hear from you, and feature your contributions on future posts. Please add your posts, it takes only a second.