To read last week’s post, see The week in .NET – On .NET on Cecil – NAudio – SpeechCentral – Hand of Fate.
Last week, Immo Landwerth was on the show to talk about Net Standard 2.0:
This week, we’ll speak with Joe Morris and Srivatsn Narayanan about the new .NET Core build system. The show is on Thursdays and begins at 10AM Pacific Time on Channel 9. We’ll take questions on Gitter, on the dotnet/home channel or on Twitter. Please use the
#onnet tag. It’s OK to start sending us questions in advance if you can’t do it live during the show.
Update (10/13/2016): we have to postpone this week’s show. We apologize for the short notice, and for any inconvenience caused. Joe and Sri will be with us in two weeks, on October 27, to talk about the new .NET Core project system.
Next week, we’ll have Rowan Miller, to talk about Entity Framework.
Package of the week: Nancy
Nancy is a lightweight, low-ceremony, framework for building HTTP based services on .NET Framework, .NET Core, and Mono. The goal of the framework is to stay out of the way as much as possible and provide a super-duper-happy-path to all interactions.
Game of the week: Satellite Reign
Satellite Reign is a real-time strategy game set in a cyberpunk city. Command a group of four agents, using them to sneak, steal, kill and sabotage to complete your missions. Satellite Reign features an open world, multiple strategies for completing missions and agent customization that allows you to play with your style. You can enjoy single player or multiplayer co-op play, where each person controls an individual agent.
User group meeting of the week: The new .NET universe in Berkeley, CA, with Beth Massi
- Announcing Visual Studio “15” Preview 5 by John Montgomery.
- Running a .NET Core app in a Docker container by Callum Gavin.
- CSProj to XProj: Supporting .NET Core using the Preview tools by Steve Wilkes.
- How Buffered IO Can Ruin Performance by Alois Kraus.
- What’s new in Visual Studio “15” Preview 5 for Universal Windows Developers by Karan Nandwani.
- Debugging high memory usage. Part 2 – .NET Memory Profiler by Szymon Warda.
- Dealing with Anti-Virus False Positives by Rick Strahl.
- Story of Equality in .Net – Part 6 by Ehsan Sajjad.
- How to reference an existing .NET Framework Project in an ASP.NET Core 1.0 Web App by Scott Hanselman.
- Making ASP.NET apps first-class citizens on Google Cloud Platform by Chris Sells.
- Introduction to Authorisation in ASP.NET Core by Andrew Lock.
- ASP.NET MVC Core: HTML Encoding a JSON Request Body by Steve J. Gordon.
- Adding Web API to your .NET Core application by Jon Hilton.
- Why use Nancy? by Derek Comartin.
- Dockerizing Nerd Dinner: Part 1, Running a Legacy ASP.NET App in a Windows Container by Elton Stoneman.
- Use Dapper ORM With ASP.NET Core by Talking Dotnet.
- Ionide F# 2.6.0 for VS Code is released, with CodeLens showing type information!.
- Curious case of disjoint-set, by Milosz Krajewski.
- Data structures done right, by Ramón Soto Mathiesen.
- Prefer records of functions to interfaces, by Matthew Doig.
- GOTO 2016 – Exploring StackOverflow Data with F# (video), by Evalina Gabasova.
- Dynamically extending F# applications by Krzysztof Cieslak.
Check out F# Weekly for more great content from the F# community.
- Xamarin Beta Release: Cycle 8 Service Release 0 – Apple TLS by Luis Aguilera.
- Xamarin Developer Events in October by Jayme Singleton.
- Xamarin and Visual Studio at Future Decoded by Julia Black.
- A Step-by-Step Guide to Building a Profitable Mobile Services Business Through Mobile DevOps by Francine Anthony.
- Easier App Debugging with Xamarin Studio Run Configurations and Adding Bindable Native Views Directly to XAML by Pierce Boggan.
- The Xamarin Show 4: Continuous Delivery with Josh Weber and The Xamarin Show 5: MVVM & Data Binding with Xamarin.Forms by James Montemagno.
- Building Beautiful Apps With Xamarin Forms by Rarely Impossible.
- In-App Gestures And Mobile App User Experience by Nick Babich.
- Static Initialization by Adam Pedley.
- ReactiveUI Goodies – Observing Properties by Jan Hannemann.
- Unity 5 Tutorial: How to make a climbing system like in Assassins Creed in Unity – part 10 (video) by Gamad.
- Unity – 2D Movement (Part 5) – Building Tank Prefab (video) by Pixel Make
- Beginning C# with Unity: Part 14: Foreach Loops (video) by Brian Moakley.
- 7.1 Unity Tower defense tutorial – Spawn position (video) by inScope Studios.
And this is it for this week!
Contribute to the week in .NET
As always, this weekly post couldn’t exist without community contributions, and I’d like to thank all those who sent links and tips. The F# section is provided by Phillip Carter, the gaming section by Stacey Haffner, and the Xamarin section by Dan Rigby.
You can participate too. Did you write a great blog post, or just read one? Do you want everyone to know about an amazing new contribution or a useful library? Did you make or play a great game built on .NET?
We’d love to hear from you, and feature your contributions on future posts:
- Send an email to beleroy at Microsoft,
- comment on this gist
- Leave us a pointer in the comments section below.
- Send Stacey (@yecats131) tips on Twitter about .NET games.