To read last week’s post, see The week in .NET: On .NET on Orchard 2 – Mocking on Core – StoryTeller – Armello.
Last week, JB Evain was on the show:
This week, we’ll speak with Immo Landwerth from the .NET team about NetStandard 2.0. The show begins at 10AM Pacific Time on Channel 9. We’ll take questions on Gitter, on the dotnet/home channel. Please use the
#onnet tag. It’s OK to start sending us questions in advance if you can’t do it live during the show.
Package of the week: NAudio
NAudio is a library for reading, writing, decoding, encoding, converting, and playing audio files.
The following code concatenates audio files.
Xamarin App of the week: Speech Central
Speech Central is an iPhone app that lets you enjoy the Internet with the screen off, using vocal commands and speech. You can keep up with the news while you perform another activity, saving significantly on your battery and data plan.
Speech Central was built in C# using Xamarin.
User group meeting of the week: Real World Examples of Azure Functions in Seattle
Game of the week: Hand of Fate
Hand of Fate is a cross between action, RPG and deck building game play. Challenge the Dealer, a mysterious game master, while you battle your way beyond the thirteen gates at the end of the world. In Hand of Fate, you must make strategic decisions when building your deck and see the consequences of those decisions play out in the traditional RPG/action combat style. Hand of Fate features unique deck building mechanics, hundreds of encounters, items, armor, weapons and mysteries.
- Scientist.NET 1.0 released! by Phil Haack.
- TLS 1.2 Comes to Mono: Update by Miguel de Icaza.
- Storing and using secrets in Azure by Bertrand Le Roy.
- An Experience Report of Moving a Complicated Codebase to the CoreCLR by Jeremy D. Miller.
- Implementing Seeding, Custom Conventions and Interceptors in EF Core 1.0 by Alina Popa.
- Cake for Visual Studio released and Announcing Cake for Yeoman by Alistair Chapman.
- How to debug a Cake file using Visual Studio Code by Martin Björkström.
- Optimising LINQ and Adding a verb to the dotnet CLI tooling by Matt Warren.
- Should I learn .NET Core? by Jon Hilton.
- Sharing Authorization Cookies between ASP.NET 4.x and ASP.NET Core 1.0 by Scott Hanselman.
- External Network Access to Kestrel and IIS Express in ASP.NET Core by Rick Strahl.
- Localising the DisplayAttribute and avoiding magic strings in ASP.NET Core and Injecting services into ValidationAttributes in ASP.NET Core by Andrew Lock.
- IdentityServer4, Web API and Angular2 in a single ASP.NET Core project by Damien Bod.
- Introducing the ASP.Net Async SessionState Module by Matt FJH.
- Strongly typed configuration in ASP.NET Core without IOptions<T> by Filip W.
- ASP.NET Core MVC Attribute Routing by Derek Comartin.
- Using OpenID Connect by Shaun Luttin.
- Ionide F# 2.5.0 for VS Code is released, now you can write in F# Interactive!
- Function Application and Composition by David Raab.
- Can programming be liberated from function abstraction?, by Tomas Petricek
- Using the ALGLIB random forest with F#, by Mathias Brandewinder
- Creating Slack Slash Commands With Azure Functions, by Greg Shackles
- BuildStats.info |> F#, by Dustin Moris Gorski
Check out F# Weekly for more great content from the F# community.
- Stable Release: Cycle 8 Service Release 0, Preview: Xamarin Profiler 0.34.2, Preview: iOS Simulator (for Windows) Update 5, and Alpha Preview: Xamarin.Mac Support on MacOS 10.12 Sierra by Adrian Murphy.
- HockeySDK 4.1.0 for Xamarin by HockeyApp Team.
- Iowa Caucuses Launch Inaugural Polling Apps with Xamarin by Lacey Butler.
- Speech Recognition in iOS 10 by Pierce Boggan.
- Enhanced Notifications in Android N with Direct Reply, Android Archiving and Publishing Made Easy, The Xamarin Show #3: Xamarin.Forms Performance Tips and Tricks, and Updating Azure Mobile SQLiteStore to 3.0 by James Montemagno.
- Background Audio and Cross Platform Development with Xamarin (App Dev on Xbox series) by Nikola Metulev.
- Xamarin vs. Native, Default Designer, and Type Names as Storyboard IDs by Colby Williams.
- Toast Notifications for Xamarin Forms, Proxy Pattern To Separate Dependencies, and Layered Dependency Injection by Adam Pedley.
- Realities of Cross-Platform Development: How Platform-Specific Can You Go? by Wallace McClure.
- Debugging provisioning profiles on the command line by Larry O’Brien.
- How To Design Error States For Mobile Apps by Nick Babich.
- Back It On Up! Android and Xamarin and Backups! by Matthew Soucoup.
- Improving layout performance on Android by Tomasz Cielecki.
- Genymotion and VirtualBox install issue by Corrado Cavalli.
- Azure Functions in practice by Troy Hunt.
- [Unity] Creating a 2D Platformer (E13. max slopes) by Sebastian Lague
- Unity – 2D Movement (Part 3B) – Jump : Standard Jump by Pixel Make
- Unity – 2D Movement (Part 4A) – Shoot : Spawn Bullet by Pixel Make
- Curated #UnityTips No. 15 by DevDog October 2016 by DevDog
- [Unity 5] Tutorial: How to make a climbing system like in Assassins Creed in Unity – part 9 by Gamad
And this is it for this week!
Contribute to the week in .NET
As always, this weekly post couldn’t exist without community contributions, and I’d like to thank all those who sent links and tips. The F# section is provided by Phillip Carter, the gaming section by Stacey Haffner, and the Xamarin section by Dan Rigby.
You can participate too. Did you write a great blog post, or just read one? Do you want everyone to know about an amazing new contribution or a useful library? Did you make or play a great game built on .NET?
We’d love to hear from you, and feature your contributions on future posts:
- Send an email to beleroy at Microsoft,
- comment on this gist
- Leave us a pointer in the comments section below.
- Send Stacey (@yecats131) tips on Twitter about .NET games.