To read last week’s post, see The week in .NET – 9/7/2016.
.NET Core 1.0.1 shipped!
We shipped .NET Core 1.0.1 yesterday. Check out the announcement!
Last week, we spoke with Benjamin Fistein and Jakub Míšek about Peachpie, a PHP compiler for .NET. We’ve had Ben and Jakub on the show before, and they came back to show us some of the new features they’ve built: .NET Core compatibility, debugging in VS Code, Docker deployment, and NuGet package building and consumption.
This week, we’ll speak about Steeltoe, a .NET toolkit for common microservice patterns. The show begins at 10AM Pacific Time on Channel 9. We’ll take questions on Gitter, on the dotnet/home channel. Please use the
#onnet tag. It’s OK to start sending us questions in advance if you can’t do it live during the show.
Project of the week: Avalonia
Avalonia is a multi-platform UI toolkit, somewhat like WPF. It supports XAML and a flexible styling system, and runs on Windows, Linux, macOS, iOS, and Android.
Game of the Week: Folk Tale
Folk Tale blends the mechanics of a real-time strategy with role playing elements. Players balance building a thriving village from nothing whilst exploring the vast world, making new relationships and discovering new loot. Folk Tale features random events and a dynamic story, letting you run your village the way you want while never knowing exactly how the story will unfold. Both campaign and sandbox modes can be enjoyed in addition to an in-game editor which the community can use to make their own worlds.
User group meeting of the week: ASP.NET Core – What you need to know to be productive on day 1, in Durham, NC
TRINUG hold a user group meeting on Wednesday, September 14 at 5:30PM about ASP.NET Core and what you need to know to be productive on day 1. Steve Michelotti will be the speaker.
- The .NET Fringe 2016 conference recordings are available.
- Quick summary of what’s new in Entity Framework Core 1.0 by Talking Dotnet.
- ImageProcessor Core by James Jackson-South. We featured James’ ImageProcessor as package of the week back in December last year.
- Unobserved Exceptions by jbe2277.
- .NET Core and Microsoft Bot Framework by Carlos Mendible.
- DateTime under the hood and Stopwatch under the hood by Andrey Akinshin.
- Stop wasting time during .NET Core builds by Donovan Brown.
- The Dotnet Watch Tool by Muhammad Rehan Saeed.
- OneTrueError – Automated exception handling by Jonas Gauffin.
- Another awesome curated list of links about .NET performance by Adam Sitnik.
- Customizing ASP.NET Core MVC: filters, constraints and conventions by Luís Gonçalves.
- An introduction to OpenID Connect in ASP.NET Core, and Configuring environment specific services for dependency injection in ASP.NET Core by Andrew Lock.
- Real-World CQRS/ES with ASP.NET and Redis Part 1, and Part 2 by Matthew Jones.
- What I Learned Building with ASP.NET Core: Part 1 – Routing by Shawn Wildermuth.
- A Recipe Book for DropDownLists in ASP.NET MVC by Jonathan Danylko.
- Using ASP.NET Core against .NET 4.6 by Jon Hilton.
- [Controller] and [NonController] attributes in ASP.NET Core MVC by Filip W.
- ASP.NET Core continuous deployment with Docker Hub by Stefan Prodan.
- ASP.NET Core Action Arguments Validation using an ActionFilter by Damien Bod.
- Managing Complexity – Or “Why do you code in F#?”, by Anthony Lloyd.
- Event Sourcing is Awesome!, by Gad Berger.
- Getting Started with Azure Functions and F# by Greg Shackles.
- Size of Blobs in Azure Storage Account, by Denys Kholod.
- Recursion and Pattern Matching, by Jason Down.
Check out F# Weekly for more great content from the F# community.
- Create And Publish ASP.NET WEB API In Azure by Gowtham K.
- Let the iOS 10-ing begin! and Xamarin.Android 7.0 Now With More Nougat by Miguel de Icaza.
- Introducing The Xamarin Show on Channel 9 by James Montemagno.
- Xamarin Developer Events in September by Jayme Singleton.
- Xamarin Beta Preview 4: Cycle 8 by Adrian Murphy.
- Free eBook: Microsoft Platform and Tools for Mobile App Development by Microsoft Press.
- Building cross-platform Xamarin.Forms apps in VSTS and Android Keystore file and password in VSTS builds by Jim Blizzard.
- UWP OAuth in Xamarin Forms using Xamarin.Auth by Damian Mehers.
- Accessing Android Application Context outside Activity in Xamarin by Venkata Koppaka.
- Navigation tab bar with colorful interactions for Xamarin Android by Martijn van Dijk.
- XAML Power Toys for Visual Studio 2015 by Karl Shifflett.
- (Unity 5) Let’s Make Rust! [Episode 28 – Inventory 6] (video) by Gabemeister1201.
- Monogame – Building multi-platform solutions (video) by Simon Jackson.
- Shaders Case Study – Pixel Art Palette Swapping (video) by Makin’ Stuff Look Good.
- Animated Metro UI Tutorial – Unity3D (video) by Supermassive.
- How to Develop VR for 770 million Users by Hayim Pinson.
And this is it for this week!
Contribute to the week in .NET
As always, this weekly post couldn’t exist without community contributions, and I’d like to thank all those who sent links and tips. The F# section is provided by Phillip Carter, the gaming section by Stacey Haffner, and the Xamarin section by Dan Rigby.
You can participate too. Did you write a great blog post, or just read one? Do you want everyone to know about an amazing new contribution or a useful library? Did you make or play a great game built on .NET?
We’d love to hear from you, and feature your contributions on future posts:
- Send an email to beleroy at Microsoft,
- comment on this gist
- Leave us a pointer in the comments section below.
- Send Stacey (@yecats131) tips on Twitter about .NET games.