To read last week’s post, see The week in .NET – 8/30/2016.
This week, we’ll speak with Benjamin Fistein and Jakub Míšek from Peachpie to get an update on their PHP compiler for .NET, which now works on .NET Core and Docker, and can consumer NuGet packages. The show begins at 10AM Pacific Time on Channel 9. We’ll take questions on Gitter, on the dotnet/home channel. Please use the
#onnet tag. It’s OK to start sending us questions in advance if you can’t do it live during the show.
Tool of the week: Shaderlab VS
Shaders are extremely important to game developers, but as they mostly run on graphics cards, they can be challenging to work with. Shaderlab VS provides much welcome features for Unity developers, with syntax highlighting, tooltips, and code completion for shader code.
Resource of the week: Awesome Domain-Driven Design
Awesome Domain-Driven Design is a treasure trove of links about DDD, CQRS, event sourcing, and event storming. In there, you’ll find blog posts, podcasts, user groups, courses, books, samples, and mailing-lists. It’s curated, and managed as a GitHub repository, so you can contribute.
User group meeting of the week: Creating VR/AR Apps: A Taste of Unity 3D in Lawrenceville
The Gwinnett Georgia Microsoft Users Group has a meeting on Thursday, September 8 at 6:30PM at the Gwinnett Technical College in Gwinnett, GA to talk about Unity 3D on Vive and HoloLens VR and AR platforms.
Blogger of the week: Andrew Lock
As I’m writing this post every week, it’s easy to notice those bloggers who consistently put out great contents every week, or in the case of Andrew Lock, several times a week. It takes real dedication and passion for the community to write that much great content so frequently. We’re talking about long-form, very detailed posts, too. So kudos to Andrew for the quality work he’s producing. Two of his posts are featured this week. Check them out!
- Announcing the ongoing Bug Bounty for .NET Core and ASP.NET Core by Barry Dorrans.
- Engineering the Future of .NET by Sam Basu.
- Announcing MSTest V2 Framework support for .NET Core 1.0 RTM by Pratap Lakshman.
- Analysing .NET Memory Dumps with CLR MD by Matt Warren.
- Chatbot using Microsoft Bot Framework – Part 1, Part 2, and Part 3, by Ankitbko.
- Creating “ZoneBot” using the Microsoft Bot Framework and LUIS and Adding a conversational UI to “Zonebot” with the Microsoft bot framework by Andy Butland.
- The absolute easiest way to use SVG icons in UWP apps… or your money back! by Ian Bebbington.
- Moving Storyteller to the CoreCLR and going Cross Platform by Jeremy D Miller.
- Capturing Zoom Operations in the WPF Web Browser Control by Rick Strahl.
- 9 Docker .NET App Templates: A Complete Guide by Amjad Afanah.
- POST-REDIRECT-GET using TempData in ASP.NET Core and An introduction to OAuth 2.0 using Facebook in ASP.NET Core by Andrew Lock.
- New ASP.NET Core Feature coming to 1.1 : Better Integration of Third Party Containers in Startup Class by Maher Jendoubi.
- ASP.NET Core 1.0 Configuration Deep Dive by Joonas Westlin.
- Setting Up a .NET Core Server With Entity Framework Core Using a PostgreSQL Database by Mike Zrimsek.
- ASP.NET Core APIs in the fast lane with Swagger and Autorest by Matías Quaranta.
- Integrate HangFire With ASP.NET Core WEB API by Talking Dotnet.
- ASP.NET Core logging with NLog and Elasticsearch by Damien Bod.
- Feature Slices for ASP.NET Core MVC by Steve Smith.
- Deploying an ASP.NET Core website with VSTS and Octopus Deploy by Rhys Godfrey.
- Functional Programming with F# (video), a YouTube series by David Wilson.
- Recursion and Pattern Matching, by Jason Down.
- F# Docs are now on docs.microsoft.com.
- Bring Internationalization (i18n) to Your WebSharper webapps in F#, by Kiserey Lam.
- Crazy things you can do with the F# Ternary Operator, by Aleksander Heintz.
Check out F# Weekly for more great content from the F# community.
- Azure Functions 0.5 release & August portal update by Chris Anderson.
- ASP.NET Core 1.0 Azure AD Authentication, ASP.NET Core 1.0 in Azure Web Apps, and Azure AD B2C with ASP.NET Core 1.0 by Joonas Westlin.
- More Xamarin Dev Days! by Jayme Singleton.
- Live Webinar | Building Better Apps with Microsoft Cognitive Services and Xamarin by Courtney Witmer.
- Continuous Delivery to Google Play with Team Services and Fix for Unsupported major.minor version 52.0 by James Montemagno.
- HockeyApp Custom Events Available for Everybody by HockeyApp Team.
- Xamarin Beta Preview 3: Cycle 8 by Adrian Murphy.
- Continuous Delivery of iOS Applications with Visual Studio Team Services by Madhuri Gummalla.
- Xamarin iOS Autolayout Cheat Sheet by Kevin Ford.
- The Xamarin implementation of iOS Protocols and Delegates by Nicolò Carandini.
- Prism for Xamarin Forms – Advanced navigation (Part 3) and Prism for Xamarin Forms – Handling platform specific code (Part 4) by Matteo Pagani.
- Using Prism modularization in Xamarin.Forms by Davide Zordan.
- Working with Native Bitmap pixel buffers in Xamarin.Forms by Christian Resma Helle.
- Creating a first person shooter in Unity by Rabidgremlin.
- Data Compression: Bit-Packing 101.
- Time Manipulation in Unity – Rewinding Time by Alexander Grishanin & Stas Korotaev.
And this is it for this week!
Contribute to the week in .NET
As always, this weekly post couldn’t exist without community contributions, and I’d like to thank all those who sent links and tips. The F# section is provided by Phillip Carter, the gaming section by Stacey Haffner, and the Xamarin section by Dan Rigby.
You can participate too. Did you write a great blog post, or just read one? Do you want everyone to know about an amazing new contribution or a useful library? Did you make or play a great game built on .NET?
We’d love to hear from you, and feature your contributions on future posts:
- Send an email to beleroy at Microsoft,
- comment on this gist
- Leave us a pointer in the comments section below.
- Send Stacey (@yecats131) tips on Twitter about .NET games.