We received feedback that the current 1.2 version SignalR sample Nuget package doesn’t work in an MVC 5 project by default. Here are the repro steps and the necessary change to make it work.
1. Create a C# MVC 5 project in VS2013 Preview
2. Install Microsoft.AspNet.SignalR.Sample NuGet package
3. This installs SignalR package version 1.1.3. In the SignalR.Sample/StockTicker.html file, the script link still links to 1.1.2, so change it to 1.1.3 first.
5. What happened here is due to a bug in the 1.1.0-beta2 release of the Microsoft.Owin.Host.SystemWeb package, which will be fixed in future release. To work around this, the best way is to upgrade SignalR 1.1.3 to the latest 2.0 beta2 release.
6. Read http://www.asp.net/vnext/overview/latest/release-notes#TOC13 to understand the migration process from SignalR 1.x to 2.0. Migrating the sample package is a little bit simpler. First, upgrade the SignalR NuGet package to 2.0 Beta2 (select Include Prerelease in the drop-down at the top of the dialog):
7. A readme.txt file pops up talking about the hub registration. Compile to see the expected error message:
8. Delete App_Start/RegisterHubs.cs as it’s no longer used
9. In the root startup.cs file, add app.MapHubs(); in the Configuration method.
10. Change SignalR.Sample/StockTicker.html script link to 2.0
11. Run the html page, now you see that the SignalR sample works correctly.
The StockTicker sample package is open sourced at https://github.com/SignalR/SignalR-StockTicker. Currently it supports 1.x only, as SignalR 2.0 has not reached RTM yet. The sample will probably get updated by SignalR 2.0 RTM time.