- On .NET with David Pine, PwdLess, Terraria.
- On .NET with Reed Copsey, Jr., Orchard Harvest, Ammy, Concurrency Visualizer, Eco
- On .NET with Glenn Versweyveld, Protobuf.NET, Arizona Sunshine
We had no show last week, but we’ll have two this week.
On Wednesday at 9:00AM Pacific Time, Scott Hanselman will host a panel discussion on public speaking, with Kasey Uhlenhuth, Maria Naggaga Nakanwagi, Donovan Brown, and Mitch Muenster.
On Thursday at 9:00AM Pacific Time, Patrick Smacchia will be on the show to talk about the brand new version of ndepend.
Both shows will stream live on Channel 9. We’ll take questions on Gitter, on the dotnet/home channel and on Twitter. Please use the
#onnet tag. It’s OK to start sending us questions in advance if you can’t do it live during the shows.
Package of the week: Adafruit Class Library for Windows IoT Core
Adafruit is a familiar brand for anyone involved in the maker movement. Entrepreneur extraordinaire and open source advocate Limor Fried built the success of the company on high quality tutorials and a line of open source and US-manufactured products.
Adafruit recently released the Adafruit Class Library for Windows IoT Core, a set of classes and associated tutorials for using some of their most popular products with Windows IoT Core, for example on a Raspberry Pi.
Here’s an example of an event handler that displays the altitude, longitude and latitude when a GPS HAT receives new coordinates:
Game of the week: Floor Plan
Floor Plan is a puzzle adventure game designed for virtual reality. In Floor Plan, players travel in an elevator in order to find items that can be used to solve various puzzles. You’ll meet a whole cast of cooky characters as you move between floors, each of which is designed with their own whimsical theme.
User group meeting of the week: Mocking – Making fun of unit tests using DI in Raleigh, NC
TRINUG holds a meeting on Wednesday, January 25 at 6:00PM in Raleigh, NC on mocking, and using dependency injection in tests.
- Open sourcing the VS Test platform by Brian Harry.
- .NET Core image processing by Bertrand Le Roy.
- Custom project templates using dotnet new by Muhammad Rehan Saeed.
- Creating .NET bindings for C libraries with ObjectiveSharpie by Miguel de Icaza.
- Project.json to MSBuild conversion guide by Nate McMaster.
- Working with Multiple .NET Core SDKs – both project.json and msbuild/csproj by Scott Hanselman.
- Exploring Intermediate Language (IL) with ReSharper and dotPeek by Maarten Balliauw.
- Essential MSBuild: A Build Engine Overview for .NET Tooling by Mark Michaelis.
- New code coverage highlighting in dotCover 2016.3 by Alexey Totin.
- Introduction to Akka.Cluster.Sharding in Akka.NET by Bartosz Sypytkowski.
- The .NET Core 2 Wave by Ed Charbeneau.
- Error handling in ASP.NET Core by Dustin Moris Gorski.
- How to pass parameters to a view component by Andrew Lock.
- Defensive logging on ASP.NET Core by Gunnar Peipman.
- Inside compiled views in the Razor view engine by the ASP.NET Monsters.
- F# for Azure Notebooks
- Security testing in the cloud with F# and Project Springfield
- ASP.NET Monsters #85: Suave Web Services
- F# Unit Test Simplified – Expecto with Visual Studio Code, by Tomr Prior
- Experimenting with data in F#, by Chris Alexander
New F# RFC: Implement IReadOnlyCollection<‘T> in list<‘T>
Check out F# Weekly for more great content from the F# community.
- Xamarin Beta Release: Cycle 9 RC builds by Adrian Murphy.
- Try the next major Xamarin release candidate by Joseph Hill.
- New Xamarin.Forms Pre-release 188.8.131.52-pre1: quality improvements, bindable picker by David Ortinau.
- Xamarin podcast: designing mobile apps by Pierce Boggan.
- What Xamarin developers ought to know to start 2017 & How to build & ship an app in a week with Xamarin.Forms by James Montemagno.
- The Xamarin Show 13: MVVM Helpers by James Montemagno.
- You too can build Xamarin apps with F# by Greg Shackles.
- Codemash and Xamarin.Forms by Jason Farrell.
- ReactiveUI v7.1.0 released by Geoffrey Huntley.
- Attached properties – what are they good for? by Matthew Soucoup.
- Announcing “UWPDesktop” NuGet package version 14393 by Vladimir Postel.
- Windows 10 development for beginners (free course) by Richard Hay.
- Dragging holograms with gaze and tapping them in place on a surface by Joost van Schaik.
- windows.updatetask – The hidden gem in UWP by Martin Suchan.
- Open tab items dynamically with UWP by Christian Nagel.
- Unity Navigation – Part 2 by Stacey Haffner.
- Building a 3D game engine with .NET Core by Eric Mellino.
- (Unity) Live Session: localization Tools.
- Simple LODs in Unity – Unity 5.xx by James Arndt.
- Circle loading animation in Unity3D by Salus Games.
And this is it for this week!
Contribute to the week in .NET
As always, this weekly post couldn’t exist without community contributions, and I’d like to thank all those who sent links and tips. The F# section is provided by Phillip Carter, the gaming section by Stacey Haffner, and the Xamarin section by Dan Rigby, and the UWP section by Michael Crump.
You can participate too. Did you write a great blog post, or just read one? Do you want everyone to know about an amazing new contribution or a useful library? Did you make or play a great game built on .NET? We’d love to hear from you, and feature your contributions on future posts:
- Send an email to beleroy at Microsoft,
- comment on this gist
- Leave us a pointer in the comments section below.
- Send Stacey (@yecats131) tips on Twitter about .NET games.