To read last week’s post, see The week in .NET – Bond – The Gallery.
Preview 1 of .NET Core 1.1, ASP.NET Core 1.1, and EF Core 1.1 announced
- Announcing .NET Core 1.1 Preview 1 by Rich Lander.
- Announcing ASP.NET Core 1.1 Preview 1 by Jeffrey T. Fritz.
- Announcing Entity Framework Core 1.1 Preview 1 by Rowan Miller.
Last week, Rowan Miller was on the show to talk about Entity Framework Core 1.1:
This week, we’ll speak with Martin Woodward about the .NET Foundation. The show is on Thursdays and begins at 10AM Pacific Time on Channel 9. We’ll take questions on Gitter, on the dotnet/home channel and on Twitter. Please use the
#onnet tag. It’s OK to start sending us questions in advance if you can’t do it live during the show.
The Changelog podcast
I hope you will forgive me for the self-promotion… I had the chance to be interviewed on the Changelog podcast and you might want to check it out.
Package of the week: FluentValidation
FluentValidation is a lightweight validation library that uses a fluent interface and Lambda expressions for building validation rules. It’s written by Jeremy Skinner and is compatible with .NET Standard 1.0.
Game of the week: Reverse: Time Collapse
Reverse: Time Collapse is an action-adventure game that features a unique time travel story, in that time travels backwards. Take on the role of a scientist, a journalist and a secret agent who are forced to time travel as a result of a laboratory accident. Use each of the characters to solve puzzles across time while avoiding the deadly attacks of the Guardians of Time and Secret Service agents. Reverse: Time Collapse explores historical events such as WikiLeaks (2010), the Kennedy Assassination (1963) and Roswell (1947).
User group meeting of the week: VS 2015 with .NET Core Tooling in Raleigh, NC
Blogger of the week: Rick Strahl
Rick’s been blogging for as long as I can remember, and his posts are always very detailed and carefully researched. He’s a problem solver, and likes to share his findings. It’s fair to say that anyone who has been working with .NET for a few years has saved some time thanks to one of Rick’s posts at least once. This week’s issue features his latest post.
- .NET Core Tooling in Visual Studio “15” by David Carmona and Joe Morris.
- Announcing the October 2016 Update for .NET Core 1.0 by Lee Coward.
- Introducing C# script runner for .NET Core and .NET CLI by Filip W.
- Making .NET code less allocatey – Allocations and the Garbage Collector by Maarten Balliauw.
- Tuples with C# 7.0 by Christian Nagel.
- Generate C# ETW EventSource classes from JSON event specifications using T4 by Ohad Schneider.
- EntityFramework Configuration Provider for .NET Framework & .NET Core by Patrick J. Nolan.
- Windows 10 1607, UWP and Lifecycle on HoloLens (2), Composition APIs–Walked Through Demo Code, and Project Rome–Transferring Browser Tabs Across Devices by Mike Taulty.
- Why the Command Line? Why now? by Sam Basu.
- Multiple optimizations passes with case insensitive routing by Ayende Rahien.
- Introducing NATSConsumer and .NET Core support by Daniel Wertheim.
- Interception in .NET – Part 3: Static Interception by Ricardo Peres.
- .NET Core Microservices using GeekseatBus by Welly Tambunan.
- Exploring ServiceStack’s simple and fast web services on .NET Core and Exploring Application Insights for disconnected or connected deep telemetry in ASP.NET Apps by Scott Hanselman.
- Modifying the UI based on user authorisation in ASP.NET Core by Andrew Lock.
- Angular 2 and ASP.NET Core MVC by Ryan Southgate.
- Creating route links and passing-in values by Marek Fišera.
- Contoso University updated to ASP.NET Core by Jimmy Bogard.
- Using Apache Web Server as a reverse-proxy for ASP.NET Core by Shayne Boyer.
- Creating a new .NET Core web application, what are your options? by Jon Hilton.
- Accessing SQL from Entity Framework Core Queries in ASP.NET Core by Rion Williams.
- Request Filtering for ASP.NET Core applications: Part 4 – Extending the Request Filtering Rules and Localization Resource Generator & Translator via “dotnet” CLI by Hisham Bin Ateya.
- ASP.NET Core: Globalization and Localization by Daniel Jimenez Garcia.
- Building Apps with Polymer and ASP.NET CORE and Don’t Share Your Secrets! (.NET CORE Secret Manager Tool) by Fizz.
- Error Handling and ExceptionFilter Dependency Injection for ASP.NET Core APIs by Rick Strahl.
- Working with Environments and Launch Settings in ASP.NET Core by Matthew P Jones.
- Deploying F# Suave web application to Azure using Flynn, by Zohaib Rauf.
- F# – Basic Merkle Tree, by Ramón Soto Mathiesen.
- Writing a PNG Decoder in F#, Part I, by Steve Hawley.
- Implementing Spark Apps in F#, by Kaarthik Sivashanmugam.
- F# compiler speeds up, thanks to Gusty.
Check out F# Weekly for more great content from the F# community.
- Xamarin Beta Release: Cycle 8 Service Release 1 by Adrian Murphy.
- Xamarin.Forms Book Now Available in Easy to Digest Chapter Summaries by Charles Petzold.
- Create a Game with iOS 10 and Message App Extensions by John Miller.
- Understanding the Uniqueness of Mobile DevOps with Roy Cornelissen, Xpirit by Anusha Sethuraman.
- Snack Pack 2: iOS Simulators and The Xamarin Show 7: Continuous C# & F# IDE for iPad with Frank Krueger by James Montemagno.
- Push Notifications Lifecycle by Adam Pedley.
- Reactive Goodies – IReactiveDerivedList Basics, ReactiveUI Goodies – IReactiveDerivedList Filtering 1, ReactiveUI Goodies – IReactiveDerivedList Filtering 2, and ReactiveUI Goodies – IReactiveDerivedList Grouping by Jan Hannemann.
- ADAL and the .NET Standard Transition by Nicolò Carandini.
- Getting the most out of your assets – The MonoGame Content Pipeline by Simon Jackson.
- VSTS – Mac build agent fail restoring NuGet packages by Jim Blizzard.
- How To Build Honest UIs And Help Users Make Better Decisions by Graeme Fulton.
- Icons As Part Of A Great User Experience by Nick Babich.
- Use .NET Core to Create Azure Blob Storage SAS Keys by Carlos Mendible.
- Kat Commentary – VR Techniques (Part 1 – Movement) by Kat Harris.
- The Damage Is Too Damn High or Achieving the Perfect Balance by Arthur Mostovoy.
- Beginning C# Part 15: Do/While Loops by Brian Moakley.
- Tobi’s Unity Utilities by Tobias Wehrum.
- MVC Pattern by Alex Ouellet.
And this is it for this week!
Contribute to the week in .NET
As always, this weekly post couldn’t exist without community contributions, and I’d like to thank all those who sent links and tips. The F# section is provided by Phillip Carter, the gaming section by Stacey Haffner, and the Xamarin section by Dan Rigby.
You can participate too. Did you write a great blog post, or just read one? Do you want everyone to know about an amazing new contribution or a useful library? Did you make or play a great game built on .NET?
We’d love to hear from you, and feature your contributions on future posts:
- Send an email to beleroy at Microsoft,
- comment on this gist
- Leave us a pointer in the comments section below.
- Send Stacey (@yecats131) tips on Twitter about .NET games.