To read last week’s post, see The week in .NET – 5/24/2016.
DotNetConf 7-9 June
Are you ready to rediscover .NET? Well, dotnetConf is back!
Immerse yourself in the world of .NET and join our live stream for 3 days of free online content June 7 – 9 featuring speakers from the .NET Community and Microsoft product teams. Watch and ask questions after each session for a live Q&A. The live stream will be broadcasted on Channel9.
There’s never been a better time to be a .NET developer. Learn to develop for web, mobile, desktop, games, services, libraries and more for a variety of platforms and devices all with .NET! We’ll have presentations on .NET Core and ASP.NET Core, C#, F#, Roslyn, Visual Studio, Xamarin, and much more. Take a look at our lineup of great speakers and sessions. We’ll have keynotes from Miguel de Icaza, Scott Hunter, and Scott Hanselman and a lot of great content from our community.
See you on the live stream!
Last week on the show, we had Maoni Stephens to talk about .NET garbage collection. It was a fascinating journey into this crucial subsystem, with many great insights:
Package of the week: FluentAssertions
Preferences in assertion API styles vary. FluentAssertions allows for assertions that are very readable:
The library supports MSTest, NUnit, xUnit, and more, and runs on both .NET Framework and .NET Core.
Xamarin App of the week: Haven Holidays
Haven Holidays is one of the UK’s largest family holiday parks with 36 locations across the country’s most beautiful coastline. Rarely Impossible delivered two beautifully designed apps that enhance the guest experience built entirely with Xamarin.Forms and in only 4 months!
You can read more about the development process of this fantastic app on the Rarely Impossible blog.
Game of the week: ElemenTales
ElemenTales follows four brothers who have been cursed to exist in the form of one of the four elements: Fire, Earth, Air and Water. Players must navigate a series of 3D puzzles while using the unique abilities tied to each brother to move on to the next level. ElemenTales has 24 levels that increase in complexity and feature a low-poly graphics style.
User group meeting of the week: Shawn Wildermuth & Miguel de Icaza at Microsoft DevBoston
Don’t miss Shawn Wildermuth and Miguel de Icaza tonight Tuesday, May 31, at 6:30PM at the Microsoft NERD Center in Cambridge, MA. You’ll attend the recording of the Hello World podcast, and an hour-long technical talk on ASP.NET Core.
- Making it easier to port to .NET Core by Immo Landwerth.
- Announcing MSTest Framework support for .NET Core RC2 / ASP.NET Core RC2 by Pratap Lakshman.
- Mads Torgersen and Dustin Campbell on the future of C# by Tim Anderson.
- Tuple Tuesday! by Anthony D. Green.
- TPL Dataflow Is The Best Library You’re Not Using by Bar Arnon.
- Rethinking IEnumerable by Jared Parsons.
- Using Windows Runtime in a .NET desktop application by jbe2277.
- Running .NET Core RC2 on Fedora 23 by Nemanja Milosevic.
- Installing .NET Core RC2 on Ubuntu 16.04 by Donovan Brown.
- Write your first .NET Core Library by Thomas Stringer.
- Introduction to Composition by Robert Mikhayelyan.
- Builder: C# by Ted Neward.
- Reset Entity Framework migrations by Morten Anderson.
- RavenDB 4.0 on .NET Core RC2 by Ayende Rahien.
- Setting up Ubuntu 14.04 for ASP.NET Core RC2 with PostgreSQL by Joshua Hardy.
- A deep dive into the ASP.NET Core CORS library by Andrew Lock.
- ASP.NET Core : Getting Clean with SOAP by Shayne Boyer.
- Running multiple ASP.NET Web API pipelines side by side by Filip W.
- Getting the Web Root Path and the Content Root Path in ASP.NET Core by Marius Schulz.
- Dotnet EF Migrations for ASP.NET Core by Ben Cull.
- Storing ASP.NET session outside webserver – SQL Server vs Redis vs Couchbase by Omar Al Zabir.
- How To Specify Framework When Running ASPNET Core Apps by Steve Smith.
- How to Build a Search Page with Elasticsearch and .NET by Ryszard Seniuta.
- 3 ways to keep your ASP.NET MVC sontrollers thin by Jon Hilton.
- Login with WebSharper, by FSharpTV & Adam Granicz.
- F# for Python Programmers, by Darren Platt.
- Having Fun with Computation Expressions, by Matthias Dittrich.
Check out F# Weekly for more great content from the F# community.
- Xamarin DevOps with VSTS – Setup iOS CI Builds with MacinCloud, Xamarin DevOps with VSTS – Setup Android CI Builds, Xamarin DevOps with VSTS – Versioning Apps For HockeyApp, Xamarin DevOps with VSTS – Deploying To HockeyApp, and Xamarin DevOps with VSTS – Deploying To Devices From HockeyApp by Richard Woolcott.
- Bluetooth LE plugin for Xamarin released, and Swipe to dismiss with MvvmCross by Sven-Michael Stübe.
- Xamarin.Forms XAML Previewer Design Time Data by James Montemagno.
- Cross-Platform Development with Xamarin.Forms and Realm by the Realm Team.
- Unite Europe 2016 Keynote – Video.
- Unity UI Healthbar Script C# Tutorial – Video, by Jay AnAm.
- Unity 5 Tutorial 2D Fighting Game Redux Introduction – Video, by C Sharp Accent Tutorials.
And this is it for this week!
Contribute to the week in .NET
As always, this weekly post couldn’t exist without community contributions, and I’d like to thank all those who sent links and tips.
You can participate too. Did you write a great blog post, or just read one? Do you want everyone to know about an amazing new contribution or a useful library? Did you make or play a great game built on .NET?
We’d love to hear from you, and feature your contributions on future posts:
- Send an email to beleroy at Microsoft,
- comment on this gist
- Leave us a pointer in the comments section below.
- Send Stacey (@yecats131) tips on Twitter about .NET games.