By installing Visual Studio 2010 SP1 Beta now (or tomorrow for general availability), you have a great opportunity to provide early feedback before we ship VS2010 SP1 RTM. Not only do we welcome feedback on the updates to the product such as the new Help Viewer, performance regressions, and more; but we also want to hear your feedback on the installation experience – especially if you’re running into installation problems.
But before we can really help identify an installation issues and help you work around it – not to mention possible solutions for RTM – we need installation logs for the failed install, repair, or even uninstall of SP1 Beta. It’s best to collect these logs as soon after the problem occurs as possible.
- Download the Visual Studio and .NET log collection utility.
- Run collect.exe that you just downloaded (for more options, see the current usage).
- Be prepared to share %TEMP%vslogs.cab if needed. This file can be large and not always suitable to email as an attachment, so if you need hosting you might consider a free Windows Live SkyDrive account.
There are a number of ways to report feedback, including but not limited to the following.
- The Visual Studio Setup and Installation forum on MSDN.
- The Visual Studio feedback site on Microsoft Connect.
- As comments on this or other Microsoft blogs.
As we identify common installation issues I will post solutions and workarounds so you can start testing out the product changes for Visual Studio 2010 and provide feedback to product teams.