Permission error with creating a team project from VS 2010 on TFS 2012

You must use the Visual Studio Team Explorer 2012 (included in all Visual Studio editions or may be separately downloaded) to create a team project on a TFS 2012 server.  If you use VS 2010, you will get an error about not having permission.  The error message is very misleading, because it’s not a problem with your permissions.

—————————
Microsoft Visual Studio
—————————
TF30172: You do not have permission to create a new team project.
—————————
OK   Help
—————————

1. Automation Planet says:

Thanks, but is there a fix for this sooner?

2. buckh says:

Radwan, the "fix" will be a better error message, hopefully.  VS 2010 will not be able to create a team project.  You'll need to use VS 11 for that.

Buck

3. Automation Planet says:

Thanks Buck, :-)

4. StephenI says:

does this apply to the TFSexpress RC too?  I am having the same issue (vs2010pro)

5. buckh says:

Stephen, yes it does.  I'll update the post.

6. Vikas Jain says:

I have installed that fix. After that issue still remaiin same…

so guys pls help me.

7. buckh says:

You must use VS 2012 to create a new team project on a TFS 2012 server. The fix that Jonas references addresses different issues (most importantly, allowing VS 2010 to work with tfspreview.com).

8. Peter says:

So can I use the TFS2012 to create the project and then expect things to work in 2010. Or is it simply a bad idea to use TFS2012 for development in Visual Studio 2010? I am buliding a DW and is forced to use SQL2010 as the tools for SQL are not available for SQL2012 (as far as I know).

Thanks!

Peter

9. buckh says:

Peter, you can use VS 2012 to create the team project, and then after that you can use VS 2010. It is just the team project creation where VS 2012 is required.

10. Doug says:

Buck – can I download Team Explorer for 2012, even if I'm using VS 2010 – to create the team project? Or do I need to use an installation of VS 2012 to create team projects in TFS 2012?

11. buckh says:

Doug, yes you can use TE 2012 for that (don't need to have full VS).

12. Mohamedfaizal says:

can service pack 1 of visual studio 2010 solved the problem ?

13. buckh says:

No, you must use VS 2012.

14. I had the same error but mine was caused by a different situation. I have written a blog about it here : gagasolutions.co.uk/tf30172-error

15. ren says:

Why does TFS 2012 not allow VS 2010 to create a team project?

What could be a good workaround if I can't install a team explorer 2012?

I'm currently using VS 2010 on a windows XP

16. buckh says:

ren, quite frankly I'm not happy about the restriction. However, you will need install Team Explorer 2012 standalone or VS 2012 somewhere to create the team project. Sorry for the bad news.

17. Eric says:

Going through this nightmare right now. TFS2012 is not something you should install until you are ready to upgrade all dev to VS2012.  This is one of those that needs to wait a year or two and see what happens in 2014.

18. buckh says:

Eric, I'll disagree because there's a very high level of compat. This is one of the few places where that is not the case, and we are working to change it for a future version for this reason (didn't change for TFS 2013, unfortunately). Outside of this, you should find it to be very compatible. Let me know if that's not the case.

19. ren says:

–> support.microsoft.com/…/2662296

What did this Fix?

I still can't create team projects using VS2010. Any update regarding this issue?

20. buckh says:

Unfortunately, there is no fix or change that will ever make it such that VS 2010 will be able to create a team project on a TFS 2012 server. The compat patch that you are referencing addresses a lot of things to make working with TFS 2012 from VS 2010 work well, but creating a team project is not one. You will have to use VS 2012 (or the standalone Team Explorer 2012) to create a team project.

21. buck hodges says:

22. Ramesh says:

tfs 2013 rc has the same issue. client needs to be same version as tfs server 2013 rc. Add to the pain, TE 2013 client now requires IE 10, an in corporate world, its not possible to change the IE versions at will. Microsoft needs to rethink this strategy.

23. buckh says:

[UPDATE 11/9/2013] TE 2013 no longer requires IE10: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/buckh/archive/2013/11/09/team-explorer-2013-no-longer-requires-internet-explorer-10.aspx

Ramesh, I've asked the team to see what we can do about the requirement to install IE10 for standalone Team Explorer. We will at some point move this to the server in the web UI, like we have done for the service. I apologize for the inconvenience.

24. Pertunia says:

Hi guys I'm using VS 2010 and TFS 2012 I get the same error that says i don't have permission to create a project.I know that TFS 2012 can create a project on VS 2010.pls help

25. buckh says:

Pertunia, you will need to use VS 2012 to create a team project on TFS 2012. It cannot be done with VS 2010.

26. Pertunia says:

ok thank you.Now because I'm using VS 2010 ultimate where can I get TFS2010.I have looked everywhere for the download

27. buckh says:

Pertunia, the easiest thing would be to download the free Team Explorer 2012 and use it to create team projects.

28. Yves says:

Buck, I get that error even though I am using the Team Explorer 2012. I have the Basic Configuration in TFS 2013. I am using SQLExpress and have no need of SharePoint or Reporting (so they are not configured. Could that be why?

1. Buck Hodges says:

Unfortunately, you must use the VS version that exactly matches your TFS version. So to create a team project on TFS 2013, you need to use VS 2013 (Express will work) or Team Explorer 2013. For the next major version of TFS, we are finally going to a allow you to create a team project via the web UI.