Team Foundation Beta 3 Virtual PC is available

The last time I wrote about the VPC for beta 3, it didn’t make up to MSDN like it was supposed to.  Well, a beta 3 VPC is available now, and a beta 3 refresh VPC will be available as soon as it makes its way through the infrastructure (yeah, I know, trust me at your own risk).

The beta 3 VPC is under Visual Studio 2005 -> Visual Studio 2005 Team System Release Candidate -> Visual Studio 2005 Team System Release Candidate VPC (English).  The description is copied below.

Description

Thank you for evaluating Visual Studio 2005 Team Suite RC and Visual Studio 2005 Team Foundation Server Beta 3. This self-extracting VPC is provided as-is, as governed by the terms of the included EULA.

VPC Contents

• Microsoft Windows Server 2003 Standard Edition
  • Microsoft Visual Studio 2005 Team Suite RC
  • Microsoft Visual Studio 2005 Team Foundation Server Beta 3
  • Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 Redistributable Package RC
  • Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Community Technology Preview
  • Microsoft Office 2003 Standard Edition

AdventureWorks Demo
This VPC has been prepared with a sample demo. To access the demo files, open the solution (.sln) file located in the C:AdventureWorksDemo folder. The sample code is intended to demonstrate features of Visual Studio Team System, and therefore may exhibit poor coding conventions, security vulnerabilites, etc. The AdventureWorks application should not, and may not, be used in any form for production applications.

Recommended System Requirements

• PC with 2.0 gigahertz or faster processor
  • 1.5 GB RAM minimum
  • 10 GB available hard disk space
  • Super VGA (800 x 600) or higher video
  • DVD-ROM drive
  • Microsoft Virtual PC 2004 software

NOTE: For best performance, the VPC should be extracted to a second high-speed hard drive.

1. Marc Brooks says:

<blockquote>The sample code is intended to demonstrate features of Visual Studio Team System, and therefore may exhibit poor coding conventions, security vulnerabilites, etc.</blockquote>

Can ANYONE at Microsoft say anything better? How about the patterns and practices gang releasing project that really IS meant to be a GOOD example of all the new ASP.Net 2.0 stuff under Team Foundation, with automatic builds, embedded unit-tests, proper localization, decent security, etc.?

2. buckh says:

Their point is that the Adventure Works code is purely for the purposes of demoing Team System features. In fact, I believe one of the demo scripts involves using some of the features to track down vulnerabilities and other bugs in the code. There are examples elsewhere that are intended to show good ASP.NET practices, but AW is expressly not one of them.

3. Jeroen Ritmeijer says:

I think I already got this one (it’s been on MSDN for 2 weeks right, or is this new?).

How can I check in the VPC box which version it is running?

4. buckh says:

If you’ve already got it, it would be beta 3, not beta 3 refresh.

5. Franklin says:

I got the file "Visual Studio 2005 Team System Release Candidate VPC (English)" From MSDN subscription site.

but when I extract… error prompted "Some installation file corrupt. Please download a fresh copy and retry the installation"

The extraction error shown in the WinRAR self-extraction box is

CRC failed in VSTSRC1.vhd…………(this line are in red colour)

How come??

6. buckh says:

I asked about the CRC error, but that’s not been reported before. Unfortunately, you may need to download it again. Perhaps there was a problem with the download, or you may want to check your disk for errors.

7. Jean-Pierre Fouche says:

Any VPC available for Beta 3 Refresh?

8. Buck Hodges says:

Jean-Pierre, it was my understanding that there would be a beta 3 refresh VPC. Based on your question, I suppose it didn’t show up. Many of the changes between beta 3 and beta 3 refresh were to improve setup, so I don’t think you’ll find any significant difference between the two.