Insider Fast release notes: 15.34 (170411)

Here's a look at the top fixes in this week's Insider Fast update: 15.34 (170411):

First off, a new feature and a UI update based on Insider feedback (thanks for all the feedback!):

• We now support saving your email draft as a template for later use in Outlook. More details here
  • We now show more bold and blue text for unread email in the message list. More details here

Feature fixes:

• Google accounts: We now provide new email notifications for Gmail
  • Google accounts: Browser authentication, mentioned in last week's post, is now rolled out to all Fast users
  • Google accounts: When saving a calendar event, line breaks are now correctly preserved in the event body
  • Read receipts: The two options for read/delivery are now nested under one "Request Receipts" item in Draft menu and Ribbon
  • New sidebar: updated UI for folder unread count and icon for selected folder
  • New sidebar: selecting a folder now places it in the queue for syncing, matching the behavior of the old sidebar
  • Touch Bar: send button is now a popover, helping to safeguard against accidental sends

Other fixes:

• When switching between mail and calendar, the scroll position of the selected email will no longer jump to the top of the list
  • Selecting certain calendar folders in the sidebar no longer makes the app crash

Join Insider Fast today.

As usual, please use Help > Contact Support and Help > Suggest a Feature within Outlook, or comment below. Thanks!

1. Elliott says:

Would really like to see a fix for an issue affecting many Office365 accounts, emails sent with Calibri font from Outlook for Mac always get displayed as Times New Roman on iOS.

See this thread:

1. Hi Elliott! We’ve raised the issue with the appropriate engineering team and hope to have this resolved soon.

2. Grega Tekavec says:

Read receipt is still missing even after the latest update. It does not appear on the Ribbor or in the Draft menu…

1. Thanks for the comment, Grega. Please confirm you’re activated via Office 365 Subscription (check in About dialog) and using an Office 365 or Exchange account. You can open a support ticket (Help > Contact Support) for more assistance.

3. Elliott says:

The blue seems a little TOO bold now.

4. Brian says:

I’ve made the update to version 15.34.170411 and I’m not seeing the option to save emails as templates. Is there something I may be missing?

1. Thanks for the comment, Brian. We had an issue with enabling the feature that has been addressed. Please restart Outlook.

5. Peter Watters says:

Hi there,

The new sidebar updates looks great as do the message list changes.

One thing I’ve noticed missing – there is no combined Junk folder under the ‘All Accounts’ section at the top of the tree. If the user has specific account trees collapsed they won’t see any unread indicators for junk mail in the ‘All Accounts’ section.

Regards,
    Peter.

1. Thanks for the feedback on sidebar and message list. Yes, we don’t include Junk in the “All Accounts” section. We’re monitoring feedback closely in Insider Fast so we’ll definitely consider this input as we evaluate potential changes.

6. Matt Ocko says:

When will the iOS Outlook “schedule” feature be available for Mac Outlook 2016? I end up using my phone just to defer emails to the right time in the future even when sitting in front of Mac Outlook 2016!

1. Hi Matt, thanks for the comment. Please vote for this feature in our “Outlook Feedback” site: https://outlook.uservoice.com/forums/293343-outlook-for-mac/suggestions/17823424-schedule-on-outlook-mac (Note: there’s multiple entries for Schedule and Snooze; we’ll be consolidating these soon.)

7. Josh says:

Bring back separate mail boxes … I do not want to see all my mail for work and personal in the one mail box, and do not want to scroll through 67 folders to get to the mailbox I want. Apple’s Mail does it, you can too, surely?

1. Thanks for the feedback, Josh. We’re evaluating potential changes for the sidebar in Insider Fast, so this input is great.

8. Rob T says:

Really loving the new bold and blue for unreads! Still holding out hope for some sort of shading for related messages in a thread, when one message of that thread is highlighted. Not sure if this is on the roadmap or not. Keep up the great work!

9. A11iOop says:

I think I now have Office v 15.34.170411; however, About Outlook says 15.34 (170411) and info in Finder for Outlook says v 15.34. I have checked the box for updates for Join the Office Update…, and selected Office Insider Fast, and it found the 15.34 update and applied it, but that version doesn’t let me Save As (or New>email from Template) at all in Outlook (Save As is grayed out, and naturally, I can’t create a new email from a template when I have none) so that I can make an email template. I have restarted Outlook, but still no good. Am I doing something else wrong?

I am running Outlook for Mac 2016 v15.34 (170411) on a MacBook Pro 15″ Mid 2012, El Cap v 10.11.6. Thanks.

1. Thanks for your comment. This feature is for Office 365 subscribers only, as mentioned here. You can check your License under Outlook menu > About Outlook. If you have any other questions, please message us via Contact Support (Help menu > Contact Support).

1. A11iOop says:

Ah, so sad. I have Office 2016. Maybe some day. Thanks.

10. Andrew Lim says:

I see that Focused Inbox works on individual account inboxes but not the All Account Inbox like it does on the iOS version of Outlook. Is this planned?

1. Not planned yet, but something we’re certainly considering. Appreciate the feedback!

11. Mike says:

Updated and now outlook crashes within a minute of opening.

Only happens when I connect to my O365 account

Crash info:
    rror Signature:
    Exception: EXC_BAD_ACCESS
    ExceptionEnumString: 1
    Exception Code: KERN_INVALID_ADDRESS (0x0000000000000000)
    Date/Time: 2017-04-20 12:52:11 +0000
    Blame Module Offset: 0x00000000000936a2
    StackHash: ffffc3e1
    Application LCID: 1033
    Extra app info: Reg=en Loc=0x0409
    Crashed thread: 10

12. Bruce Stewart says:

It is not working as of today. This version is crashing within seconds of connection when in online mode. Multiple people are reporting this on the community.

I am seeing this on two systems in our workplace. You can keep it stable in offline mode. I have tried creating a new profile and get the same result. I have tested with 15.32 and 15.33 and they are stable with the same account. This is perhaps something related to Exchange online as it only crashes when connecting.

1. Bruce Stewart says:

I just checked this with an on premises Exchange account and it is stable in V15.34. It only crashes when connecting to Exchange Online.

13. Any possibility of black or grey theme like Windows version.? I use both Mac and Windows versions of Office 365 and the dark themes are definitely easier on the eyes. Thanks 🙂

1. Please vote for this feature request on our UserVoice site. Thanks for posting!

14. Vincent says:

Once I configured my Google account, Outlook (15.34) crashes after a few seconds, every time I start it. I simply can’t use it. Any ideas please?

15. Donnie says:

This does not fix the crash that started today:

Microsoft Error Reporting log version: 2.0
    Error Signature:
    Exception: EXC_BAD_ACCESS
    ExceptionEnumString: 1
    Exception Code: KERN_INVALID_ADDRESS (0x0000000000000000)
    Date/Time: 2017-04-20 20:36:13 +0000
    Blame Module Offset: 0x0000000000094302
    StackHash: ffffc3e1
    Application LCID: 1033
    Extra app info: Reg=en Loc=0x0409
    Crashed thread: 4

16. Scott D says:

Just received an update for 170419 and now my Outlook is crashing softly after opening.

1. Scott D says:

Shortly after opening.

1. We had an issue yesterday impacting all 15.34 builds. We’re pushing a change address the crash.

17. Steve says:

So was 15.34 the release that has given us Google calendar integration, or are we still waiting? I’m trying to use Outlook at a company that uses Gmail and Calendars as their corporate standard and it’s killing me not to have Google integration.

Thanks!

1. Hi Steve. Google Calendar and Contacts support is available in 15.34 builds for those in Insider Fast. (Any Office for Mac user can join Insider Fast, instructions are in linked in this post.) If you leave Insider Fast (return to regular monthly production updates) then the feature will not be available, even if you remain on a 15.34 build. We’re continuing to evaluate feedback, and will make the call to release to production based on how things are going in Insider Fast. Thanks for your comment!

18. Riad says:

I have 15.34 installed and “Insider Fast”, but still don’t have the option to use Google Calander or Contacts. Anyone that knows how to enable this? I have tried to remove my Google Accont and re-addding it, but it still doesn’t work.

1. Please ensure you’re activated via Office 365 Subscription (check under About dialog). Please message us using Contact Support (Help menu) for more assistance. Thanks!

19. Clint says:

Hello Outlook team,

The Touch Bar fix isn’t adequate. Because the pop over is right next to the original button, it’s entirely too easy for a rested finger to click both send and confirm the send. Please reconsider either moving the pop over further away, or give me an option to completely remove the button. In my first day of usage, I’ve already sent a half composed email.

Skip to main content