|Dynamics 365 for Operations has great support for implementing pure add-on solutions. A pure add-on solution is extending the existing functionality using non-intrusive extension points.
In the Dynamics AX era implementing non-intrusive solutions was near impossible. My decade old Channel 9 video on Smart customizations is recommending being as little intrusive as possible.
That is still good advice, and it turns out that we now can be significantly less intrusive. A lot of new extensibility features have been added. This series of blog posts will explore these.
Why does it matter?
When a solution is implemented using extension points only, then the solution’s cost of maintenance drops significantly:
- The code conflicts that are typically experienced during code upgrade seize to exists.
- The compilation time is reduced by magnitudes,
- The package size is reduced.
A good citizen is referring to a well-behaved extension, that can live side-by-side with other extensions using the same extension point. The opposite is a bully, they claim the extension point for themselves, and are at risk of colliding with other solutions.
- Announcing application extensibility plans
- Subscribing to events
- Responding through delegates
- Extending class state
- Adding new methods to existing classes, tables, forms, etc.
- Adding a new flow
- Adding a new control type
- Changing behavior of existing control types
- Adding a new custom work type
- Adding a new location directive strategy
More to come soon – stay tuned.
THIS POST IS PROVIDED AS-IS; AND CONFERS NO RIGHTS.