This post is coming a little late (these have already been announced here and here), but incase you haven’t seen these before, I wanted to bring attention to four new performance related created by the SQLCAT and SSIS teams. They mostly focus on larger scale/Enterprise level package deployments, but there are good tips for all levels of SSIS usage.
From the SQLCAT post:
Author: Denny Lee, Microsoft Corporation
This video demonstrates how to measure and understand the performance of packages, based on lessons learned from enterprise customers. In this video, you will learn the following guidelines for improving performance:
- How the limits of the source system affect performance.
- Why disk I/O is important.
- Why you should establish a package performance baseline
Author: David Noor, Microsoft Corporation
This video demonstrates how to improve the performance of the data flow in an Integration Services package. In this video, you will learn how to tune the following phases of the data flow:
You can apply these performance tuning tips when you design, develop, and run the data flow.
Author: Bob Bojanic, Microsoft Corporation
This video looks at the memory buffers that transfer data to the data flow of an Integration Services package. The video includes the following items:
- Demonstration of a simple package that shows you how Integration Services divides the data along the data flow paths and how buffers carry data along those paths.
This simple package performs the following operations:
- Data extraction
- Character mapping
- Creation of new columns by using a synchronous transformation
- Sorting by using a blocking (asynchronous) transformation.
- Design guidelines for building and maintaining the data flow of a package.
Author: Matt Carroll, Microsoft Corporation
This video demonstrates how to increase the performance of your Integration Services packages by designing for parallelism.
These four videos join the growing list of SSIS tutorial videos in the SQL Server Video series. Others that might interest you:
- Creating a Basic Package
- Exporting SQL Server Data to Excel
- How to: Automate SSIS Package Execution by Using the SQL Server Agent
- How to: Call a Web Service by Using the Web Service Task
- How to: Implement a Lookup Transformation in Full Cache Mode
- How to: Use the Data Profiling Task
- Troubleshooting: SSIS Package Execution Using SQL Server Agent