The Data Migration Assistant (DMA) enables you to upgrade to a modern data platform by detecting compatibility issues that can impact database functionality on your new version of SQL Server and Azure SQL Database. It recommends performance and reliability improvements for your target environment. It allows you to not only move your schema and data, but also uncontained objects from your source server to your target server.
DMA replaces all previous versions of the SQL Server Upgrade Advisor and should be used for upgrades for most SQL Server versions (see below for supported versions).
- Assess on-premises SQL Server instance(s) migrating to Azure SQL database(s). The assessment workflow helps you to detect the following issues that can affect Azure SQL database migration and provides detailed guidance on how to resolve them.
- Migration blocking issues: DMA discovers the compatibility issues that block migrating on-prem SQL Server database(s)s to Azure SQL Database(s). It then provides recommendations to help customers remediate those issues.
- Partially or unsupported features: DMA detects partially or unsupported features that are currently in use at the source SQL Server. It then provides comprehensive set of recommendations, alternative approaches available in Azure and mitigating steps so that customers can plan ahead this effort into their migration projects.
- Discover issues that can affect an upgrade to an on-premises SQL Server. These are described as compatibility issues categorized under these areas:
- Breaking changes
- Behavior changes
- Deprecated features
- Discover new features in the target SQL Server platform that the database can benefit from after an upgrade. These are described as feature recommendations and are categorized under these areas:
- Get SKU recommendations for Azure SQL database targets and the ability to provision all your databases to Azure in bulk. The Azure SQL DB SKU recommendations feature provides recommendations related to:
- Pricing tier
- Compute level
- Max data size
- Estimated cost per month
- Migrate on-premises SQL Server instance to a modern SQL Server instance hosted on-premises or on an Azure virtual machine accessible from your on-premises network (via VPN or other technologies). The migration workflow helps you to migrate the following components:
- Schema of databases
- Data and users
- Server roles
- SQL and windows logins
You can install the tool from Microsoft Download Center. Execute DataMigrationAssistant.msi to install Data Migration Assistant.
- For additional information, see the Data Migration Assistant documentation.