Data Migration Assistant (DMA) enables you to upgrade to a modern data platform by detecting compatibility issues that can impact database functionality on your new version of SQL Server and Azure SQL Database. It recommends performance and reliability improvements for your target environment. It allows you to not only move your schema and data, but also uncontained objects from your source server to your target server.
DMA replaces all previous versions of SQL Server Upgrade Advisor and should be used for upgrades for most SQL Server versions (see below for supported versions).
What is new?
DMA enables assessment of your on-premises SQL Server instance migrating to Azure SQL databases. The assessment workflow helps you to detect the following issues that can affect your Azure SQL database migration.
- Migration blocking issues
- Partially or unsupported features and functions
The new Azure SQL database assessment also provides comprehensive recommendations that helps fix the issues reported.
Existing DMA features
- Discovery of issues that can affect an upgrade to an on-premises SQL Server. These are described as compatibility issues categorized under these areas:
- Breaking changes
- Behavior changes
- Deprecated features
- Discovery of new features in the target SQL Server platform that the database can benefit from after an upgrade. These are described as feature recommendations and are categorized under these areas:
- DMA enables migration of your on-premises SQL Server instance to a modern SQL Server instance hosted on-premises or on an Azure virtual machine accessible from your on-premises network (via VPN or other technologies).
The migration workflow helps you to migrate the following components.
After the successful migration, applications will be able to connect to the target SQL server databases seamlessly.
- Schema of databases
- Data and users
- Server roles
- SQL and windows logins
Improved Stretch database feature recommendations to provide proper prioritized tables that would maximize the storage savings
- Modern user experience to perform assessments.
You can install the tool from Microsoft Download Center. Execute DataMigrationAssistant.msi to install Data Migration Assistant.
- Released: Data Migration Assistant (DMA) v3.0
- Released: Data Migration Assistant (DMA) v2.1
- Data Migration Assistant: How to run from command line
- Released: Data Migration Assistant (DMA) v2.0
- Data Migration Assistant: How to migrate your on-premises SQL Server instance to modern SQL Server platforms
- Server Logins migration using Data Migration Assistant (DMA)
- Data Migration Assistant: Configuration settings
- Released: Data Migration Assistant (DMA) v1.0
- Data Migration Assistant: How to assess your on-premises SQL Server
- Data Migration Assistant: Known Issues
- Data Migration Assistant: Best Practices
- Data Migration Assistant: FAQs
- Database Experimentation Assistant (Technical Preview)