This page addresses all the frequently asked questions.
1. What is the difference between Upgrade Advisor (UA) and Data Migration Assistant (DMA)?
All versions of UA are officially deprecated and have been replaced by DMA for your migration needs. The core differences between the tools are as follows:
- UA performs only assessments, DMA enable you to perform assessments and as well as migrations. DMA provides E2E migration experience.
- UA only provides assessments migrating to on-premises SQL targets, but DMA extends to Azure Database platforms as well.
- You need to have a specific UA tool, per each target SQL Server version, but DMA is a unique tool and supports all target SQL versions, starting SQL Server 2012.
- UA enables assess the workload traces, but DMA only assess the schema and static objects.
- All versions of UA is officially deprecated and replaced by DMA.