I’ve seen a number of questions coming through these days asking for steps to link CRM Online organizations with SharePoint Online for document management purposes. The following steps should walk you through this process:
- Create a CRM Online organization. If you need to create a 30 day trial organization, click here.
- If you haven’t already, set up an Office 365 organization. You’ll want to verify that you can reach the SharePoint site (ex. https://organization.sharepoint.com). To sign up for a free 30 day Office 365 trial, click here.
- Download and extract the Microsoft Dynamics CRM 2011 List Component for Microsoft SharePoint Server 2010.
- Add the crmlistcomponet.wsp file to your SharePoint Online site:
- Click Site Actions, and then click Site Settings.
- Under Galleries, click Solutions.
- On the Solutions tab, in the New group, click Upload Solution.
- Click Browse, locate the crmlistcomponent.wsp file, and then click OK.
- On the Solutions tab, in the Commands group, click Activate.
- Add the SharePoint URL to the Document Management Settings area in your Microsoft CRM Online organization:
- Settings – Document Management Settings
- Select the entities you want to enable document management on
- Specify the SharePoint Online URL
- Select Next
- Select whichever option you’d like for the “Select folder structure” page. If you want to keep things basic where you have the following format, Contacts – [Contact Name] – [Documents], you’ll want to leave this section blank.
- Continue to select Next
At this point, you should be ready to add document storage locations to your enabled entities. You’ll need to open a document management enabled record (ex. Contact) and select the Documents are on the left-hand pane. If things are working correctly, you’ll be presented with a message that says the following “A folder will be created in the location: [SharePoint site] Click OK to continue.”