Thanks to Donald for his forum posting and Marius for his swift response highlighting the resolution to this one. If you have loaded the August CU for Project Server 2010 – KB 2276341, but have not loaded either the SharePoint Foundation 2010 August CU (KB 2266423), or any of the rollup packages (KB 2352346, KB 2352342 or KB 2352345) then you will get an error loading the schedule web part and drilling down into a project - or other pages that us the JSGrid. The error will be this one: “The view failed to load. Press OK to reload this view with the default settings. Press Cancel to select another view.” Neither will resolve the problem.
As there can be many other potential reasons for this error you should also check the ULS logs – and confirmation of this problem is seeing this error:
- w3wp.exe (0x14D8) 0x11C0 Project Server General 0000 Exception Exception occurred in method Microsoft.Office.Project.Server.BusinessLayer.Project.ProjectGetProjectDetailsForGridJson System.MissingMethodException: Method not found: 'Void Microsoft.SharePoint.JSGrid.GridSerializer.ApplyPostViewIncrementalInsertsAndDeletes(System.Collections.Generic.IEnumerable`1<Microsoft.SharePoint.JSGrid.Change>, System.Func`2<System.Object,System.Collections.Generic.Dictionary`2<System.String,System.Object>>)'. at Microsoft.Office.Project.Server.BusinessLayer.Project.GetProjectDetailsForGridJson(JsGridSerializerArguments gridSerializerArgs, Guid projUid, Guid subProjUids, Int32 storeId, String changesJson, String postViewInsertsAndDeletesJson, Boolean firstTaskViewLoad, Boolean showProjectSummaryTask, Guid viewUid, Nullable`1 expandSubprojects, Boolean clearPer...
The resolution is to load one of the August CUs that contains sts-x-none.msp, which would be any of the following.
- Description of the SharePoint Foundation 2010 hotfix package (Sts-x-none.msp): August 31, 2010 http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2266423
- Description of the SharePoint Foundation 2010 Cumulative Update Server Hotfix Package (SharePoint Foundation server-package): August 31, 2010 - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2352346
- Description of the SharePoint Server 2010 Cumulative Update Server Hotfix Package (MOSS server-package): August 31, 2010 - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2352342 (Does not include Project Server patch)
- Description of the SharePoint Server 2010 and Project Server 2010 Cumulative Update Server Hotfix Package (MOSS server-package, Project server-package): August 31, 2010 - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2352345
Although JSGrid is a component initially developed for Project Server 2010 it was shared with other teams for the “14” release and is also used by Access Services. It is shipped as part of SharePoint Foundation, and this is where we slipped up in not also having the fix in the Project Server CU too. Apologies for any inconvenience this may have caused, and we will ensure with future CUs that this dependency will be avoided.