This one came to my attention via the TechNet Project Server forums http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/category/projectserver2010 (thanks Milen!) and was specifically raised concerning the Bulgarian currency code BGN. If this was used in a project (File, Options, Display, Currency) then published to the server then an error would occur when navigating to Project Center:
Pressing OK would just repeat the error – pressing Cancel would enable you to choose another view – and then see the error again.
Investigating the problem I found it to be due to changes in the currency codes over recent years that have been implemented in the client (Project Professional) but in the server we are picking up the codes from the RegionInfo class in .NET 3.5 System.Globalization and these are still the old ones (they are now right in .NET 4.0 – but that doesn’t help for the 3.5 targeted codes in Project Server 2010). The countries and currencies affected are:
- Azerbaijan From AZM to AZN
- Bulgaria From BGL to BGN
- Belarus From BYB to BYR
- Venezuela From VEB to VEF
- Zimbabwe From ZWD to ZWL
The 'From' codes are those available on the server. The 'To' ones are those available on the client. One final breakage is for XDR, which is included on the client but does not list on the server via RegionInfo as it is the ISO code for the International Monetary Fund (IMF).
There is a Catch-22 here, in that customers in these countries or using these currencies in their projects will only have the old codes available for their server – but only the new ones on the client.
The only workaround would be to use some other nominal currency that is represented in both places. I won’t risk offending anyone by suggesting a single currency… There may be other reasons you might get this error – but if you suspect these currencies could be causing the issue then look for any of the following in the File, Options, Display, Currency entry in Project Professional ('AZN','BGN','BYR','VEF','ZWL','XDR') or for the adventurous I will save you a few minutes and tell you the table you want is in the published DB, and is MSP_PROJECTS and the column is PROJ_OPT_CURRENCY_CODE.
Also Romania and Russia have changed codes, but ROL/RON and RUR/RUB do not create the issue, as it has been resolved for these specific languages (and hopefully a similar fix will be forthcoming for these languages.
*** 5/21/2013 Update - This also affects the Nigerian currency - symbol NGN. This does appear in the list of currencies for Project Server 2013, but was not in the .NET Framework for Project Server 2010. For NGN as well as the other currencies mentioned here one option, which we have helped a Venezuelan customer with, was to use LocaleBuilder to get the new currency in - http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/cc163506.aspx . Contact us in support if you want some pointers. This would apply to the currencies above, although I believe in SP1 of Project Server 2010 we did address some of these issues (VEB/VEF) ***