How To Hide Ribbon From Users Without Edit Page Privilege

Ribbon is a great new feature introduced by SharePoint 2010. It provides great user experience for users with elevated privileges, like contributors and site owners. However, for users with lease privilege, such as visitors and anonymous users, it seems like a big waste of page real estate. Because for those users, all ribbon provides are navigation breadcrumb and welcome control (user name with a drop down list on top-right corner).

So I have been asked to figure out a way to remove or hide the ribbon area from user with lease privilege, and here is how:

1)      Open your SharePoint master page

2)      Locate this line:
<div id=”s4-ribbonrow” class=”s4-pr s4-ribbonrowhidetitle”>

3)      Change it to:
<div id=”s4-ribbonrow” class=”s4-pr s4-ribbonrowhidetitle” style=”display:none”>

4)      Now find the end of the “s4-ribbonrow” tag and add following block right after it:
<Sharepoint:SPSecurityTrimmedControl ID=”SPSecurityTrimmedControl2″ runat=”server” PermissionsString=”AddAndCustomizePages”>
    <script type=”text/javascript”>
        document.getElementById(“s4-ribbonrow”).style.display = “block”;

5)      Save the new master page and publish it.

Now when a user without “AddAndCustomizePages” access to view the site, they would not see the ribbon area. You may want to move at least the welcome control to somewhere outside the ribbon area so your lease privilege users can see their user names.

The reason that you have to do it the other way around: make the ribbon invisible (step 3) and make it visible only when users have “AddAndCustomizePages” access (step 4) is the ribbon HTML code has to be rendered to the browser otherwise you would lose some basic abilities on the page, like, to be able to scroll up and down.

Enjoy your page real estate back!

Zewei Song, Ph.D.

MCPD, MCTS: .NET 3.5, MOSS AppDev, Configuration

Enterprise Services, Microsoft Corporation

1. Christian says:

THANK YOU SO MUCH.  I've been wracking my brain for a simple fix to this, and it just blows my mind that these kinds of options aren't just built into SharePoint in the first place.

2. Terry says:

I agree with Christian.  Low tech users are going to be lost in the menus.  I prefer the simplicity of SP 2007 in this regard.  This user interface is not fit for our grey haired users, unfortunately, they are the ones most of us have to please..  Just greying out icons makes it too busy for them.

3. Very clever tip – and works a treat !    I had some other areas I needed to hide, and used this same technique – thanks for your post !!    😉

4. Sajith says:

Hi All,

How to display welcome control to all user,

Please help

5. Alpesh says:

Hi, this works great except if you have calendar or other web part which normally interacts with the ribbon then clicking a calendar item or web part item still causes the ribbon area to overlay the site banner and top navigation area – but user then does not have the browse button to return the banner and nav and has to refresh page. How to work around this?

6. Dr. Z says:

This solution is mainly for anonymous users because the ribbon is mostly waste of space, especially for WCM sites. For users with some access, you'd better keep the ribbon on.

7. neverontime says:

Works great, But there is a Typo in the script….make sure u remove the space after  "s4-ribbonrow" in the javascript….as shown here….

<script type="text/javascript">

document.getElementById("s4-ribbonrow").style.display = "block";

Please give suggestions on how to display welcome control to all user…??

8. Dr. Z says:

Thanks neverontime for catching the typo. You can move the welcome control to somewhere outside the ribbon so everybody can see it.

9. charlie says:

This works, but the scroll bars are messed up. The main content window is too big.

What I did to resolve this…

edit the file C:Program FilesCommon FilesMicrosoft SharedWeb Server Extensions14TEMPLATELAYOUTS1033Init.js

in the function FixRibbonAndWorkspaceDimensions()

var e=d-b.offsetHeight-AbsTop(b);

it should look like….

var e=d-b.offsetHeight-AbsTop(b);if(b.offsetHeight==0&&AbsTop(b)==0){e=d-136}

I generally don't advocate editing the built in .js files, but I don't see another solution.

The welcome control can be moved to the left NAV in the amster page

This is what I did.

<ul class="s4-specialNavLinkList">

<– Welcome moved here –>

<wssuc:Welcome id="IdWelcome" runat="server" EnableViewState="false"></wssuc:Welcome>

<– end welcome moved here –>

I added this style

.s4-specialNavLinkList A{

to keep the drop down arrow on the same line as the user text.

10. Robin says:

Dr. Z,

Many thanks for the tutorial. I have met a deadline because of this post and am very grateful!

I'm a bit puzzeled how it works in my environment. I modified the page style as you suggested and proceded to login as a site visitor and saw no change. so I thought I'd made a mistake or some other anomoly. Wasn't untill I logged on to the site as a Member that I saw the behavior you wrote about aka ribbon gone.

so with a bit of experimentation, I found that I could add manage hierarchy permission, or design to site members and give them the ribbon back. That I can understand. what totally baffles me is the visitor group, which has nothing but read permissions on the site, yet I can't seem to make the ribbon gone from that group.

I have worked around the phenominon by assigning all members to the visitor group, and the former visitors to the members group. the results work if quirky. I would have thought from the name that the AddAndCustomizePages permission was given with manage hierarchy or design permission in SharePoint 2010. Explanations from the wise appreciated!

11. Derek Melber, MVP says:

Have you tried to use a product like BeyondTrust Privilege Manager to elevate the access to these pages? It should allow you access to this process as an admin, while leaving access to everything else at least privilege. BeyondTrust has a new "free version of Privilege Manager" (, which might work for you for free. Otherwise, the full product is rather amazing and could not only solve this issue, but all other applications requiring admin privileges.

12. Alex says:

why not put the ribbon div & subsequent controls inside the security trim delegate control? …

13. arodriguez says:

I have a problem that I'm hoping someone will be able to help me with. I used this code to hide the ribbon from the majority of our users, and it worked perfectly. I have full control over our SharePoint site and I was able to see the ribbon, which is perfect because I need it, and all of our other users that had "contribute" permissions were not able to see the ribbon.

The problem that I'm having now is that before (when I used your code) the majority of our users (..Authenticated users) permission's levels were set to "contribute," and this worked our perfectly because when they logged in the ribbon was hidde, and since I have admin and design rights, when I logged in I could see the ribbon. This is exactly what I want.

Now I need to change all of our users to only having "READ" permissions so that they are unable to add documents to lists and libraries, but when I change their permissions from "contribute" to "read", the ribbon comes back on for them.

I'm unclear how the permission level in your code (Add And customize Pages) relates to the user permissions (read,  contribute, etc) and I'm wondering if you know how to hide the ribbon for users with only "read" permissions.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I have spend countless hours trying to figure this out.

14. Dr. Z says:

Alex, I explained why you can’t just simply wrap the ribbon div with a security trim control: you page would lose some important features, such as vertical scroll bar.

arodriguez, your "read only" users must have "AddAndCustomePage" permission. Here is a list of all permissions that you can try with the security trim control:…/microsoft.sharepoint.spbasepermissions.aspx. Unfortunately, I couldn’t find any information regarding how the permissions are related to SharePoint user security levels.

15. gri says:

I need some help with timming the security of the ribbonrow. I dont want users with read rights only to see the ribbon. The problems I run into are:

1) if i dont specify PermissionContext, an user who has contribute rights on a folder only doesnt see the bar. I think this property goes by default to "CurrentSite". Therefore i  need to specify the context="CurrentFolder" in the spSecurityTrimmedControl

2)if i do specify the permissionContext, then everything is fine, except that when i am at teh site level (and NOT on a list or folder), i dont see the ribbon (i have farm & site collection rights). For example, i can not grant/edit groups permission on teh root site, because the ribbon is not visible, or when i go in SiteSettings, the ribbon is gone as well. This gets fixed by removing the PermissionContext in the master, but then in run into problem1.

Here os my code:

I have display:none on the div called "s4-ribbonrow" and then

<div id="s4-ribbonrow" class="s4-pr s4-ribbonrowhidetitle" style="display:none;">

<div id="s4-ribboncont">

<Sharepoint:SPSecurityTrimmedControl ID="SPSecurityTrimmedControl2" runat="server" PermissionsString="AddAndCustomizePages, ManageLists, AddListItems, EditListItems, DeleteListItems, ManagePermissions,CreateGroups" PermissionContext="CurrentFolder"  PermissionMode="Any">

<script type="text/javascript">

document.getElementById("s4-ribbonrow").style.display = "block";

16. Roland de Goeij says:

Hi, Thanks for the solution, but it doesnt seem to work for me.

Is there any way i can troubleshoot this ?

Thanks in advance!

17. Dr. Z says:

Hi Roland, what is your issue?

18. Roland de Goeij says:

Hi zwsong, thanks for your reaction.

Its working! 🙂 i forgot an " stupid me…

But maybe you can help me out with moving the login button outside the ribbon ?

19. Zeb says:

Thanks for the post Dr. Z, this is exactly what I was searching for!

However, when a user without AddAndCustomizePages access clicks on a web part, the entire top navigation disappears like it would if the ribbon were there.  I tried doing some digging but can't find why this is happening and how to fix it.

Any suggestions?

20. Dr. Z says:

Zeb, this solution is meant for getting rid of the ribbon for read-only users, like anonymous visitors. If a user has access to personalize web parts, then he/she should see the ribbon.

21. MaxMelcher says:

cool idea – thanks a lot for sharing.

I think the more elegant solution would be to unhide the ribbon with css rather than with javascript – buts only a small improvment.

<Sharepoint:SPSecurityTrimmedControl ID="SPSecurityTrimmedControl2" runat="server" PermissionsString="AddAndCustomizePages">

22. Dr. Z says:

Good idea MaxMelcher. Can you share your CSS solution?

23. Alex Tjahjana says:

Hi Dr. Z, It works. Thank you so much for your help. Really appreciate it.

24. SharePointPM.NET says:

Thanks for the info.

25. help says:

when i click on a list or webpart it chops off the area with top links and bread cumbs as a result of this modification, can i hide the ribbon but not have it do this

26. THVDog says:

The ribbon should only show what you can do and not gray out things.  Stupid UI design on the MS team.  Seems the teams at microsoft  only deal with technical and geeky types and do not have to face "real" users.  Time and time again, they put out things that end users and administrators end up using unproductive hours trying to resolve and find workarounds on things that are obvious from so many admins that they should not even show up.

27. Billy Nguyen says:

Dr Z – How do I turn off Edit Page for contributor and leave all other default rights enable?

28. Sandeep says:

Thnkx Dr. Z, This was really helpful for me.

29. Neal Thompson says:

Thanks Dr. Z.  That was exactly what we needed!

30. Siviwe says:

Thanks Dr. Z, works !!

31. Ansn says:

Good Idea!

I like it very much!

32. Hooper says:

Dr Z…

I cant believe I found the solution to my SP issue and it was you that solved it!  Long time no see sir!  Hope all is well and thanks so much for posting this!!!

33. Omar Alvarez Mexico says:

Thank very much for the info, was helpful and easy to use, after searching the web this is the best. greetings OA

34. Dr. Z says:

Justin, glad this old bolg post helped you.

35. Kim says:

This worked great for me except that it also hides our footer which is in a div just above the DeveloperDashboard. Any ideas?

36. thanks a lot its intelligent and saved a lot of effort... says:

thanks a lot its intelligent and saved a lot of effort…

37. monika says:

i wanna hide the Modify the view option for a particular Group of user.

how can i aceheive that. i can make the display none for Modify the view by using its ID or Class but how to i check for the users group.

38. Hello,  This works and hides the top blue bar, but I still have the grey area below along with the white bar with the search.  I've "hidden' those areas with designer but the space is still being used up by them at the top.  I would like to regain that realstate at the top.

I looked and the area seems to be titled: table.s4-titletable for the grey area and div#s4-topheader2.s4-pr s4-notdlg for the white are with the search field.  These are both in the "s4-workspace" area.  If I hide that.. it hides the whole page.

Have I done something incorrectly?  Is there a way to regain that realstate at the top?

39. Thank you very much, it really helped us.

40. Would this work for anonymous users. If a site has anonymous access enabled, would this solution remove the ribbon when they navigate to the site??????

41. This works nicely… Thanks for the post, very helpful..

42. Nitin singh says:

Its working thanks 🙂

43. Lobo says:

Dr. Z. Thank you for the tip !

I was injecting all the ribbon controls inside the trimming before reading this.

For those of you that need secure trimming for a SharePoint Group/s instead of OOB SharePoint roles: here you can find a  solution with little coding, just overwriting the trimming control:…/extending-sharepoint-security-trimmed.html

Cheers !

44. Haley says:

I'm working on a Sharepoint project with a client that wanted to get rid of the ribbon….this solution worked like a dream, and was so easy to implement! Thank you, you're a lifesaver 🙂

45. Ahmed says:

thanks .. was a great help

46. Iain says:

Using this technique will cause the title bar area to disappear, which is annoying.  I fianally managed to work out how to get around this issue and wrote a blog post on it here:…/hiding-sharepoint-2010-ribbon-from.html

47. Manwender says:

This is perfect soluation!!

48. irene says:

what are you doing, guys! Do you really think, that hiding is a solution!!!!! any noob can set display property to block and show it, having some functionality!!!!! I think, that you can even don't show it at all!!!! So it won't be in html, received from server side!

49. Opee says:

I used permissionsstring="ManagePermissions" to show ribbons only for Full Control users. Worked well. Thanks a lot.

50. Fahmi Paridin says:

Hi Dr Z,

Thank you, its working.

51. Darrell Dixon says:

Easier Solution to Show and Hide the Ribbon WORKS FOR ALL 2010/2013 VERSIONS OF SHAREPOINT: THIS IS THE LOCKED DOWN VERSION

THEN PUT THIS JAVASCRIPT IN THE BOTTOM OF YOUR MASTER PAGE basically it triggers visibility of ribbon if user is in a certain group

SP.SOD.executeFunc('sp.js', 'SP.ClientContext', GetUserGroup(24));

SP.SOD.executeFunc('sp.js', 'SP.ClientContext', GetUserGroup(56));

SP.SOD.executeFunc('sp.js', 'SP.ClientContext', GetUserGroup(78));

SP.SOD.executeFunc('sp.js', 'SP.ClientContext', GetUserGroup(124));

function GetUserGroup() {

var ContextUserGroup = new SP.ClientContext(groupno);

var groupCollection = ContextUserGroup .get_web().get_siteGroups();

group = groupCollection.getById(groupno); //The ID of the SharePoint user group

groupUsers = group.get_users();

currentUsergroup = ContextUserGroup.get_web().get_currentUser();

ContextUserGroup.executeQueryAsync(Function.createDelegate(this, this.onUserFound), Function.createDelegate(this, this.onUserNotFound));

function onUserFound() {

if (groupUsers.get_count() > 0)

var UserExistInGroup = false;

for (var i = 0; i < groupUsers.get_count() ; i++) {

if (groupUsers.itemAt(i).get_loginName() == currentUsergroup.get_loginName()) {

UserExistInGroup = true;

if (UserExistInGroup)

//Show the content based on the user's group

document.getElementById("s4-ribbonrow").style.display = 'block';

document.getElementsByClassName("s4-ribbonrowhidetitle").style.display = 'block';

<script type="text/javascript">

var pathname = window.location.pathname;

if (pathname.indexOf("calendar.aspx") >= 0){

document.getElementById("s4-ribbonrow").style.display = 'block';

52. mostafa says:

hi, thank you for the explanation of essential notes about share point. i have problem when implementing of the 5 stages mentioned above. my problem is in the 4stage . i do not know exactly where and what i have to copy and paste. please guide me in a more detailed way. after doing the 4 stage, the ribbon do not get hidden. thanks

53. Ankitkumar Malde says:

Simple and Awesome stuff…. Thanks a lot…!!!