Visual Studio 2013: Turn Off the Uppercase Menu

NOTE: This is an older feature. I’ve updated the information for VS2013.

This is one change to Visual Studio that I’m not a fan of and I still continue to see a ton of posts on this change so thought I would share here as well.

I always try to give credit where credit is due and I believe the earliest mention of this fix is by Richard Banks in his post 6\1\2012 here:  http://www.richard-banks.org/2012/06/how-to-prevent-visual-studio-2012-all.html

Mixed Case is Your Friend

Okay so you really, really don’t like the Uppercase menu in VS2012 because you feel like it is shouting at you:

5-16-2012 7-50-41 PM

You would rather go back to mixed case for your menu:

5-16-2012 7-43-08 PM

Not a problem! Below are ways you can fix this feature in VS2013.

Manual Registry Change

WARNING:  Making changes to the registry can cause unexpected results so do any changes at your own risk!

1. Open the registry editor and go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\VisualStudio\12.0\General\
    (For Windows 8 Express go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\VSWinExpress\12.0\General)
    (For Web Express go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\VSWDExpress\12.0\General)

2. Create a new DWORD value called SuppressUppercaseConversion set to 1
    image
  3. Restart Visual Studio and you should see the change

NOTE: Watch your spelling if you are typing this manually.

PowerShell

If you like to “simplify” this a bit you can use PowerShell to run a nice script to make this happen.  However, if you haven’t used PowerShell before this may not be faster for you.

1. Go to the Start button or (Start Screen in Windows 8) and type powershell then select the Windows PowerShell Entry:
    image

image

2. In the PowerShell window copy the script below and paste it in then press Enter:

Set-ItemProperty -Path HKCU:\Software\Microsoft\VisualStudio\12.0\General -Name SuppressUppercaseConversion -Type DWord -Value 1

image

3. Restart Visual Studio and you are good to go.

1. Thomas W. Clay says:

This also works with Visual Studio 2012 by changing "12.0" to "11.0"

2. Matt says:

Thanks! I don't like the shouty menu either

3. leonardo_lourenco_silva@hotmail.com says:

Showww

4. John says:

First MS gives us a "feature" then shows us how to turn it off.

5. BrunoLM says:

I can't find that registry entry. I am on a new W8 installation and only installed VS2013 Express for Web…

6. glumacp@hotmail.com says:

Gawd, THANK YOU, finally….

7. kjopc says:

It's idiotic that we should have to do this. Any designer with a minimal understanding of Gestalt theory knows ALL CAPS is bad design. Same goes for the stupid bland icons that some suit seems to have forced on MS apps in the Metro era.

8. Craig says:

Not again… I just completed a 1000+ deployment of VS 2012 with instructions to disable this. I ended up doing it manually for each system.

I am NOT looking forward to doing this again when we upgrade to 2013… Is there a domain option for this nonsense?

9. BrunoLM says:

All caps menus are not an issue, I just wanted to test and see the difference.

But since lots of users seem to be raging about it, VS should add a simple switch to turn on/off.

10. cmb says:

Hey Craig,

You could in theory create a domain group polilcy registry entry to set this options for all machines in your domain.

Next time the user logs in, the policy would be applied and no more upper case menus..

11. zainnab says:

Hey folks 🙂

Sorry for the late reply to the thread but I just got back from an offsite conference and am catching up. I'll try to address comments as concisely as I can. In general I am most definitely NOT a fan of the all caps menu. There may be a good reason for it but I haven't heard one yet.

BrunoLM — Did you manage to find the correct reg path? I agree we should add a way to easily turn it off and I know there is a couple of extensions that will do that:

Craig / cmb — looks like a great solution to me and it ensures consistency.

Z

12. yann@live.com.au says:

While it's good that there's at least a manual way to do turn this nuisance "feature" OFF, it should be a SETTING in the options, not a registry HACK. (caps intentional)

13. jalf says:

Seems like this no longer works in the RTM version. Am I missing something here?

14. jalf says:

Oh, never mind, turns out the Express version checks a different registry key (WDExpress instead of VisualStudio)

15. NiceVS extension says:

Check out this extension.  Right now it is for VS 2012.  It turned the whole development back to a 2010/2008 look and feel, maybe just maybe Donny can upgrade it to support VS 2013

NiceVS extension

visualstudiogallery.msdn.microsoft.com/a36021f0-770a-4258-854e-724e9d12b8a6

16. Vilis says:

This didn't work for my VS Express 2013 – when I add the key, I cannot start VS anymore – it appears in

Task Manager, but window never opens.

17. Vilis says:

Update – although Regedit tweak didn't work for me, running this in PowerShell worked fine:

Set-ItemProperty -Path HKCU:SoftwareMicrosoftWDExpress12.0General -Name SuppressUppercaseConversion -Type DWord -Value 1

(In Regedit there were Dword32 and Dword64 options, I picked Dword64).

Thanks!

18. Lynn says:

SuppressUppercaseConversion worked on VS2012 and VS2013, running under

Windows 7 Professional. However it did not work on VS2013, running under

Windows 8.1 Pro. In fact there was no General sub key. So I added it and then

put the "SuppressUppercaseConversion"=dword:0000001 under the General

sub key.. But it did not work.

19. zainnab says:

Lynn,

I just tested this on my machine and the keys were still there. Are you sure you didn't accidentally go into 12.0_Config? The fact you didn't see a General key makes me think that is what happened.

Z

20. om says:

Thanks. Used it for VWD Express 2013.

21. Jeanne says:

Thank you so much!  I don't know why all caps makes me crazy, but it does.

22. Pete says:

I agree with the others. Although minor, this is an annoying, even dumb, 'feature'.

Anyhow the reg hack worked great on my VS 2103 Pro, Windows 8.1 Enterprise machine. Thanks.

23. srimalar2@hotmail.com says:

I type "Set-ItemProperty -Path HKCU:SoftwareMicrosoftVisualStudio12.0General -Name SuppressUppercaseConversion -Type DWord -Value 1" in PowerShell and It's working…. Wow…. Thank you !

24. Grant Winney says:

As of VS2013 Update 3, there's now a menu option to enable/disable caps. Look in Tools / Options, under Environment / General, for "Turn off upper case in the menu bar".

25. Gerhard says:

Using the "normal case" menus is an official configuration item: Tools > Options > Environment > General > "Turn off upper case in the menu bar".

26. cooldrl says:

Why are you hacking the registry? In Visual Studio 2013 in the Tools menu select Options>Environment and tick "Turn off upper case in the menu bar"

27. zainnab says:

@cooldrl Note the date of the post. This article was written way before that option was available. 🙂  Of course, using the menu option makes sense in the current version.

28. jeff says:

Visual Studio 2013 Update 5 adds something in the Options menu where you can turn this off.