Turn on Line Numbers

Menu:  Tools -> Options -> Text Editor -> All Languages -> General -> Display
Versions:  2008,2010
Published:  3/7/2010
Code:  vstipEdit0025

Line numbers are not on by default.  To turn on line numbers just go to Tools -> Options -> Text Editor -> All Languages -> General -> Display and check Line numbers:

image

1. none says:

Nice tip – way easier than looking at the bottom of the window for the line number

2. Catto says:

Hey Now Zain,

This is a good one & I’ve enjoyed your series keep going.

Thx 4 the info,

Catto

3. Levi says:

Tools -> Options -> Text Editor -> ALL LANGUAGES -> General -> Display and check Line numbers

4. zainnab says:

@Levi  that's the path in my post.  So…

5. Gabriel the Greek says:

Love your tips Zain. I read them everyday 🙂

a little tip for you and your readers:

– There is a macro to turn on Line numbers, and a macro to turn off line numbers.

I've added both macros as buttons to the main tool bar (click small arrow in toolbar to ADD macro as a button).

The macros are called   "Samples.Utilities.TurnOnLineNumbers" and "Samples.Utilities.TurnOffLineNumbers"

Now, when I need extra space to view code, I can turn off or on line numbers at will.

* Zain how do I assign a shortcut key to this?  And what shortcut key combination do you suggest to not interrupt VS2010 or other standard windows shortcuts?

Thanks,

Gabriel

p.s. I wasted too much time trying to figure how to do this. I hope it becomes a standard button in the future 🙂

6. zainnab says:

@Gabriel — great point!  thanks for mentioning the macros.  to assign shorcut keys to macros check out blogs.msdn.com/…/create-a-shortcut-key-for-a-macro-vstiptool0066.aspx

7. Gabriel says:

Thanks Zain, great post.

Looks like you ALREADY talked about the "turn on line numbers" macros before … wow … I guess I missed that one.

Thanks 🙂

Gabriel

8. zainnab says:

@gabriel  Thanks man! 🙂  The funny part was I forgot that was the macro I had used when I did that tip.  I think I've been doing this too long 😛

9. Gabriel says:

You're better then you think Zain !    subconsciously you knew exactly where to send me  🙂  Thanks !

Can you create a VS Tip of the day tutorial that accomplishes the following:

1. Make a button on the toolbar that combines both macros. (One press turns on line numbers,  and the second press turns off)

2. Show us how to add a graphic Icon to the button, to make it look professional

3. Give an MSDN Ultimate subscription to the person who suggested such an interesting Tip of the day 🙂

Thanks,

Gabriel

10. Gavin says:

Levi is right, the path in the post is incorrect, you have missed out ALL LANGUAGES from it

11. Bipin says:

very useful to

how to number editer in visual studio

thanks alltem

12. Vaibhav says:

Is this facility is available in Embedded Visual C++ 4.0? If no then how to set line number in my coding?

13. zainnab says:

Vaibhav,

I did some looking but couldn't find an answer to your question.  Almost all IDE's have a way to view line numbers so I suspect there is a way but I am not familiar enough with the embedded C++ 4.0 IDE to know how.

Z

14. Jospeh Amal raj.A says:

in VS 2010 selecect "Show all settings" Optin button then only the TextEditor shows the languages other wise it shows General,File Extension only.

15. Steff says:

Many thanks. this helps so much in this world of insanity!

16. John says:

When I attempt to turn this setting on and subsequently click OK on the options window, Visual Studio crashes. Brilliant..

17. sivasankar says:

Thanks a lot.. useful info in quick second

18. Proff says:

i got the help I need nice help tool

19. k l chowdary says:

tq..for providing this information. keep updating all…

20. Subir says:

Thankyou this is so helpful for me.. nice tip

Skip to main content