How to cycle through the Clipboard Ring to paste different things

Menu:  Edit -> Cycle Clipboard Ring
Command:  Edit.CycleClipboardRing
Versions:  2008,2010
Published:  1/2/2010
Code:  vstipEdit0001

The Clipboard Ring keeps track of the past 20 items you’ve either cut or copied so you can reuse them over and over again!  After you hit item 20, it’ll go back to the first item again. This is why the feature is called a Clipboard Ring.

Give it a try!  Copy a few pieces of text into your clipboard then keep pressing CTRL + SHIFT + V to cycle pasting them in the editor.  This is one seriously cool time-saving feature.

1. Steve Nutt says:

Wow – I have been waiting for this for ages now. I think there was something similar in Office, but I could never get my head around it and gave up.

I have to ask myself – why is there not such a thing built directly into the Windows operating system ?

2. PHenry says:

Not "build into" Windows. :<  Just more reason to stay in VS! :> HAHA

3. gcubed says:

It could be a security issue to do that at the OS level. It will be funny to read the last 20 strings from someone’s clipboard. 🙂

4. Cohen says:

Actual I use the free ClipX to achieve the same. And you can use it in any windows program.

Since I am using Ctrl-Shift-V for the same thing I’ll have to change the shortcut in VS.

5. dartme18 says:

This is excellent stuff, but I want sometimes to remove something from the clipboard ring.  Right now I’m going through and modifying a signature in all the base classes (26 or so of them?) and I have the most-used code for the refactor in the ring.  Also, this other item sneaked in there and is not usable…I think I copied it by accident…whatever.  If it were not the beginning of the day, no telling how big the ring would be.  I guess I could restart VS and recreate the ring quickly, but here is my question:

How can I remove the bum items from the ring so that my cycling is quick, snappy, and efficient?

6. says:

When I open a C++ projects properties, the option disappears & Ctrl-Shift-V just does paste unforunately

7. Ed Nafziger says:

FYI: its now Ctrl+Shift+Ins in VS2010.

8. zainnab says:

Hey Ed 🙂

Actually, both should work. I've updated the post to reflect the additional keystroke thanks to you. 🙂

9. don reid says:

Open a text editor (n++) and paste your text into there. Then you can grab the item you want to paste. Clunky, but it works.

10. Ryan Liu says:

How to reset clipboard ring or set its size?  20 is much to loop though.

11. Bruce Allen says:

Ditto is a clipboard manager that works in windows at the OS level (all programs).

AND it works within VS2013 (& I think in all prior versions).