Causes for Expression Web Crashing

There are a few known causes for Expression Web crashes. If you start Expression Web and you see a message telling you that it’s encountered a problem and needs to close, it’s possible that one of the issues below may be causing the problem.

Kaspersky Antivirus

Earlier versions of Kaspersky antivirus interacted with jscript.dll in such a way that caused a crash when starting Expression Web 4. To resolve this problem, make sure that you have the latest version of Kaspersky Antivirus installed from the Kaspersky site.

Add-in Failures

If an Expression Web add-in crashes, it can cause a crash in Expression Web. In such cases, Expression Web will launch on safe mode after the crash. If the safe mode launch succeeds, it’s likely that the crash was caused by an add-in installed in Expression Web. To resolve such issues, uninstall the add-in and contact the add-in vendor for an update.

“Common” Folder

If there is a folder named “Common” at one level above the installation folder for Expression Studio (e.g. c:\Program Files\Common), it will cause a crash in Expression Web on launch. To resolve this issue, remove or rename the “Common” folder.

Incorrectly Registered jscript.dll

Expression Web 4 includes a new add-in architecture that allows for the creation of JavaScript add-ins. If JavaScript isn’t correctly registered on your system, Expression Web 4 may crash on startup when it attempts to enumerate the add-ins that are installed.

To correct this problem, ensure that jscript.dll is correctly registered by running regsvr32 using one of the following command lines.

For 32-bit Operating Systems:

regsvr32 c:\windows\system32\jscript.dll

For 64-bit Operating Systems:

regsvr32 c:\windows\syswow64\jscript.dll

1. Dave BRown says:

I have Windows 7 and it seems they've hidden the command run line also

2. Andrei says:

@Dave:

Right click on the start button and choose properties

From the Taskbar and Start Menu Properties, go to the Start Menu Tab

Click on customize

From the list choose "Run command"

Click ok two times to confirm.

You will now have the run command on the start menu.

3. Eric says:

And don't forgot to run this Command as Administrator.

4. Karen says:

When I try to upload a picture…it crashes.  Please help

5. Chris says:

I have Win7 Pro.  64bit.

I can't launch a new install of expression web 4

I tried to use the

regsvr32 c:windowssyswow64jscript.dll normally and as administrator.  it fails to run.

long error message when I try to run as admin basically stays there are some /I stuff that needs to go with this cmd?

6. Peter says:

@Dave You can run the command line  by clicking the start button and typing CMD <enter> in the search panel.

7. Neil says:

Entering the jscript command does not fix it. Also, there is no "common" folder, but there is a "common files" folder. You cannot delete this folder and you cannot change the permissions, even if you are an administrator. Boy, I love how Microsoft extorts you for $259 to fix this.

8. Neil says:

I have narrowed the problem down to a Windows Update. Initially i uninstalled it thinking that it was somehow corrupted. When I re-installed, it worked fine. Then I got a windows update notification for two updates.

Expression Web 4 Service Pack 2  (KB2571841)

Security Update for Expression Design 4 (KB2667730)

After that installation, it went back to the "Expression Web has encountered a problem….."

When I restore before the update, it works.

Now I need to find out which one is doing it  or both. I will update.

9. Neil says:

Ok, I did the windows update doing the security update first (KB2667730), installed and started Expression Web and it works fine.

Then installed SP2 (KB2571841) and it crashed on startup. Therefore it is safe to say that SP2 is the culprit. Since Microsoft no longer sells the product, I dont anticipate any updates to fix this.

10. Jim says:

I purchased EW4 about  8 months ago and noticed that it no longer worked a couple of days ago.  I haven't used it for about 4 months. I deleted the program, reinstalled it and it worked.  Updated it to SP1 and SP2 and it stopped working again.  Tried installing Gilam's link above and it still does not startup.  I'm using Windows 7 Ultimate.

11. CalBear says:

My EW4 suddenly stopped working on March 1st. I wondered if there was some sort of a time bomb in it. I tried the suggested fixes with no success. I can run WebStudio_Trial_en installation and it works. If I install SP2 or install the free version it crashes on startup.

12. Cal Bear says:

Here's a more complete description of my situation.

Yesterday (March 1) Microsoft Expression Web 4 stopped working. It crashes immediately after the original splash window opens. This happens using the free EW4 version and it happens using the "WebStudio_Trial" only if you apply SP2. When it happened on my Win 8 triple boot partition I went back to my Win 7 partition with the same result. Its interesting that the latest versions of EW4 work well in my Win 10 partition and Virtual Box Win 10 running in Win 8.

Therefore my assumption is that a recent Win 8 (and Win 7) update has caused this problem. Since EW4 is only on "long term" support MS may not be very interested in this problem. I find EW4 is an excellent free super code editor for website development and would hate to have to find an alternative.

13. SteveInIndiana says:

Oh just dandy. Just found out support terminates in a matter of days.  I crashed EW4 by trying to use the "snapshot" function.  I had the grand idea I could go to microsoft and "check for updates" to fix this – but no……..   So, what's the newest and greatest replacement for EW4 that might offer some useful functionality for a totally ignorant newbie like me that had the idea I would upgrade my website running FrontPage2000 linked to an .mdb file?

Sheesh – I guess if you don't stay on the curve, you fall off far and fast. 🙁  Find me at CountyRealty if you have any insights.

14. SteveInIndiana says:

I need to do two things. First I need to set up a login page that consults an .mdb file that has usernames and passwords before permitting the visitor to proceed.  If they pass, then secondly I need to set up a catalog where the user keys in 5-6 criteria, then views the results.  The catalog items are in another .mdb file.   The database is Access 2007 working as a 2000 version with saved .mdb files.

I am doing all of this satisfactorily today using FrontPage2000 and Access 2007; and believe "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" but I understand that I should re-work my site to get away from 15 year old technology.  I don't have a big budget to do this, nor do I have a "big brain" to absorb all the nuances of programming.

In a perfect world, I could do all of my design work in Access, then just xfer it up to the webhost.  I can certainly achieve WYSIWYG in Access very rapidly, FrontPage is a lesson in patience and repetition for me anyway.

Suggestions warmly welcomed; if anyone is listening.

15. Chris Raisin says:

I suddenly found (after lots of trial and error) that some missing jpg files in a page I was loading into Expression Web were causing the "fail to run" message. Load your web page into Microsoft word and look for missing pictures (if any). Fix up any missing pictures then load your page back into Expression Web and it should load OK. (Just another eason for this darn error message to show . I wish it would state what the error actually is!)