Resources for Expression Web Users

I’m often contacted by frustrated Expression Web users, both those new to Expression Web and those who are moving from FrontPage, who are struggling to figure out how to accomplish seemingly simple tasks such as formatting page elements and arranging page content. In almost all cases, the cause for frustration is that these users are not familiar with current methods of website design.

Is Expression Web really the “new” version of FrontPage?

A few years ago, we stopped development on Microsoft FrontPage and released the first version of Expression Web. As a result of that timing, many FrontPage users looked at Expression Web as merely a renamed version of FrontPage. That’s not the case. The fact is that website design has evolved far beyond FrontPage, and as a side-effect, the knowledge required to design modern websites has evolved as well. In other words, Expression Web is really not the new FrontPage.

Today’s website designers, whether using Expression Web or another design application, are required to have a knowledge of many technologies. CSS, XHTML, and basic JavaScript are an absolute must, and among those, the one that throws most Expression Web newcomers for a loop is CSS. Trust me. If you don’t know CSS, designing a website in Expression Web will be a frustrating endeavor.

With all of this in mind, I asked our MVP community to recommend some resources to help Expression Web users get up to speed with modern website design technologies. It’s our hope that these resources will help you to get the most out of Expression Web.

Official Microsoft Resources

Internet Explorer Development Center

A wealth of information on web design with a focus on Internet Explorer.

Official Expression Web Site

There are plenty of articles on website design on the official Expression Web site.

Expression Web and SuperPreview Forum

Frequented by web designers, Microsoft MVPs, and Microsoft employees, the forum is a great place to ask questions and get help.

Third-Party Resources

Note: Microsoft does not endorse any of the resources listed below.

Basic Website with Expression Web Video

Cheryl D. Wise, MVP for Expression Web, has a 1.5 hour video tutorial on basic website design that’s a great introduction. Cheryl also provides sample files for download.

W3Schools

Free tutorials on all aspects of web design.

Veign Resources

Chris Hanscom, MVP for Expression Web, offers a wide assortment of resources.

CSS 2 Quick Reference Guide

CSS 3 Quick Reference Guide

Color Quick Reference Guide

Website Development Center

WebReference.com

A wide assortment of topics on web design and programming.

Smashing Magazine’s CSS Layout Series

This two-part series provides a wealth of information on creating website layouts using CSS.

SitePoint Reference

SitePoint’s web design reference is a quick way to learn about HTML, JavaScript, and CSS.

HTML Dog HTML Tutorial

HTML Dog’s tutorial is designed as a beginner’s tutorial, but it’s useful for anyone wanting to brush up on HTML.

HTML Dog CSS Tutorial

The companion tutorial to HTML Dog’s HTML tutorial.

CssDog.com

CssDog.com also offers tutorials on CSS, HTML, JavaScript, and more.

Have a Recommendation?

I plan on adding to this post as I find other resources, but if you have a favorite resource that I’ve left off, please feel free to add a comment!

Jim

1. Crazy Eagle says:

Why can I not open any of my websites and Edit live in Expressions Web. I keep fighting with my hoster but they say there is nothing wrong with my sites, it's my ExWeb. I  want to get a fresh new look, but can't afford to loose all my photos and current content in my sites.

Anyone with ideas or help to get the job done, please email me:

Crazy@CrazyEagle.com.. Use Expression Web help in subject so you don't get lost in my junk folder.

I can access by using ftp. But I'm disabled and have always done live editing since FP2001. I want to continue but have no clue.

2. MicroBust says:

Microsoft just lost yet another customer.  I used to design websites with Frontpage with ease but about 2 months ago I started the free trial of Expression Web 4.  I can't even figure out how to perform what used to be simple tasks. I've spent over 20 hours so far trying to figure out how to modify and existing template so that it will have drop-down menus.  My frustration level has reached the high-point that I've finally decided to give up and not purchase this product.

3. 3D Animation Job description says:

If you know really how to use FrontPage, you will love it..it has many inbuilt options! Anyways people don't take this serious! Thanks for sharing!

<a href="http://www.samplejobdescriptions.org/3d-animation-job-description.html">3D Animation Job description</a>

4. I dont know where to start!! says:

I have just been told that my servers no longer use Frontpage extensions.  I have been the webmaster of 5 websites.  3 are clubs and 2 are businesses (mine).I have been doing these websites for 10 yrs!  I have NO idea what to do.  Do I buy Web Expressions and open my Front page files in it??  Is there a course that starts at PAGE 1.  What should I do??  I cannot even update my websites now.

Thanks for your help

Elena Lamberson

eslamberson@msn.com

Johns Island, SC

5. Sandie Benoist says:

I, too, have been a frontpager for years. I have dowloaded the trial of EW4. My question is what BOOK can I get to look at while I am doing the tutorials so I can stop flipping back and forth from the computer. I hate that and loose so much time.  I need a PAGE 1 start also!! Help please.  Thank you in advance!

6. Sandie Benoist says:

office@qualitystone.com

7. Sandie Benoist says:

office@qualitystone.com

8. anirudha says:

how code collapse  work in Expression web 4.

9. cherry says:

British reporters are known for doing almost anything to get a Mulberry Bags. But reports that a newspaper secretly listened to telephone messages of murdered schoolgirls and other private citizens have produced Mulberry Handbags and anger.

On Friday, British police arrested Andy Coulson, former editor of Mulberry Bag Britain's best-selling newspaper, News of Mulberry Outlet the World. The investigation led him to Mulberry UK Sale resign in January as communications director to Prime Minister David Cameron.

The arrest came in a widening investigation of Mulberry UK telephone hacking. Other accusations include paying police for mulberry shoulder bags information on stories. The Reuters news agency reported that Mr. Coulson was released on Mulberry Bag UK until a date in October.

Prime Minister Cameron promised Men's Mulberry Bags Friday that a judge will lead a full public inquiry into Women's Mulberry Bags the case after police complete their investigation.

DAVID CAMERON: "Murder victims, terrorist victims, families who have lost loved ones, sometimes defending our country, that these people could have had their phones hacked into, in order to generate stories for Mulberry Bags  Mulberry Handbags  Mulberry Bag   Mulberry Outlet  Mulberry UK  mulberry bayswater bag  Mulberry Alexa Bag, is simply disgusting."

10. Rich Hill says:

Yes, I was a long time user of Front Page and now am trying to move over to Expressions Web 4; however, it is difficult and was wondering if there are any designers out there that would be interested in re-designing my web pages and also tutoring me in Expressions Web 4.  If so, I am in the Portland, Oregon area and my email is richh@creditworthy.com

11. Another web site that many Beginners have found helpful in the past is http://www.Expression-Web-Tutorial.com.  They are a Microsoft Partner who provides Online Training and DVDs for Beginners using Expression Web.

12. Ernie Hernandez says:

I am looking for Expression Web 4 templates for setting up various different kinds of web sites. Are there any available? I can be reached at erniehndz@cox.net