Expression Web 2 install fails with an error 1923. The setup installation log may contain the following line:
Error: Installation of the "Microsoft Expression Web 2" product has reported the following error: 1923.
To view the install log:
Click "start" – "run" – type %temp% and hit enter. The log filename will be similar to XSetup_Web_YEAR_D_M.log
The following third-party programs have been confirmed to cause this problem if installed on a machine prior to installing Expression Web 2:
- Web Root Antivirus
- Web Root Spy Sweeper
To get past this error you can either uninstall the third party program, install Expression Web 2, then reinstall the third party program or you can boot the machine to selective startup mode using MSCONFIG using the following steps:
1. Click the START button, and from the RUN line, type MSCONFIG and hit ENTER.
2. The System Configuration Utility will launch. On the General tab, click the Selective Startup option. Then uncheck the boxes labeled "Load Startup Items" and "Load System Services".
3. Click on the Services tab. Find the column header at the top labeled "Service" and left click that column header to sort these services in alphabetical order. Scroll down in the list and find a service called "Windows Installer" and click it so that it has a check in the square box.
4. Click Apply and when the changes are made, the OK button will read "Close". Click this button and you will asked to reboot the machine.
5. After the machine has restarted, click OK when the System Configuration Utility information dialog appears. If the System Configuration Utility itself appears, click the red X at the top right corner of the dialog box. If you are prompted to restart the machine, click the button labeled "Exit Without Restart".
6. Install Expression Web 2.
To get the machine back to Normal mode, open MSConfig again as in Step 1 and on the General tab click the “Normal” startup option. Click Apply, the Close and reboot the machine.
[Updated 4/1/09 – willbu]