XPS v1.0 released!

The XPS v1.0 specification has been released and can be found at http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/xps/downloads.mspx.  The final release of Windows Vista is compatible with v1.0.

After a quick toast of champagne and hand shaking, the final printed spec was signed by the team and sent to Microsoft Archives for safekeeping.  The XPS team would like to thank the industry for their ongoing feedback throughout the development of the specification.  We look forward to seeing the creative and compelling ways that you integrate XPS into your products.

1. XPS and new products. Microsoft has some exciting software in the pipeline, among them is the Expression Suite. Will I be able to save my work from Expression Graphic Designer as XPS and then print it?

This is the in the FAQ to the question if it can be imported in other software:

"Yes, designers can incorporate graphics from other applications as well as export design elements to a variety of other software tools, including Microsoft Office and Microsoft Visual Studio."

When it can be imported and placed in Office applications it can also be saved as XPS and printed, I presume?

2. xmvrose says:

When will the XPS Essentials Pack be released?  I haven’t seen an update since the September Beta2 release…

3. Vagyok.C4 says:

Please!  Please!  Please! Update the Essentials Pack!  Beta 2 has a serious flaw when it comes to printing XPS files!

4. MikeH says:

Will there be any support for XPS on windows mobile?

5. Insider says:

In addition where is the XPS support for MOSS 2007?  iFilter?

6. anonymous says:

I made the unfortunate mistake of installing this.

Now my print spooler crashes and I’ve lost access to all my defined printers.

Can’t add new printers (operation could not be completed)

Can’t access print server (spooler not running).

Spooler CAN be started from services or cmd line, but it does not work properly.

I’ve used the XPS install-file uninstall option, but that didn’t help.

I’ve also manually cleaned everything from registry (print processors, printers, print monitors that are not standard OS install settings). The same for the driver files in system32/spooler subfolders.

Still I’m borked.

Is there any way to get rid of XPS killing my spooler, other than a complete OS re-install?

7. Marc says:

During installation of the MSI I received an error 1722. The log of a logged install contains the following lines:

Action start 11:55:37: EPUpdateInstallAction.

DEBUG: Error 2835:  The control ErrorIcon was not found on dialog ErrorForm

The installer has encountered an unexpected error installing this package. This may indicate a problem with this package. The error code is 2835. The arguments are: ErrorIcon, ErrorForm,

MSI (s) (84:BC) [11:56:10:203]: Product: XML Paper Specification Essentials Pack — Error 1722. There is a problem with this Windows Installer package. A program run as part of the setup did not finish as expected. Contact your support personnel or package vendor.  Action EPUpdateInstallAction, location: C:WINDOWSInstallerMSI94.tmp, command: /q /z

Any idea?

8. Spirit says:

I just installed this, then read the reports.  I sure hope this doesn’t happen to me, as I already am having probs with my printer.  I am now very worried.  I wish I would have read this before I installed it.  Geez, now what?? I see that my printer turned itself on by itself, without the light even.  So I am already having probs.  Great.

9. consumer4beta@hotmail.com says:

I’m also getting the same error as Marc. Please help.

10. ben says:

My XPS files made from adobe medical claim forms filled in appear fine on screen, but print as a bunh of dingbats.

Another 1.0 screw-up from redmond.

11. markovich says:

Will there be any support for XPS on windows mobile?

12. anotherUser says:

I just downloaded "XPSEP XP and Server 2003 32 bit.msi" today 7/30/08 and I’m getting the same error.

DEBUG: Error 2835:  The control ErrorIcon was not found on dialog ErrorForm

MSI (s) (B4:B4) [14:22:38:259]: Product: XPS Essentials Pack — Error 1722. There is a problem with this Windows Installer package. A program run as part of the setup did not finish as expected. Contact your support personnel or package vendor.  Action SCUpdateInstallAction, location: C:WINDOWSInstallerMSI1B3.tmp, command: /q /z

13. MichaH says:

Is microsoft serious about XPS?

How about supporting XPS format on Windows Mobile 6.1? Are there any plans? Or do we have to wait for windows mobile 7??

We need just a simple viewer for making XPS files available on mobile clients, so we can move from pdf to Xps with our document workflow.

Or is XPS to resource hungry and current windows mobile phones to weak?

14. David says:

Same problem on instalation! Please help!

15. apare says:

Hi,

In my case, i delete the "xpsviewer" folder in %systemroot%system32 and all registry key of xpsviewer search result in the registry.

Sometimes i must have to modify permissions on registry keys to full control, and i think it’s the problem because i have a warning report on "RemoveExistingProducts" in "InstallExecuteSequence" table when i try to validate the msi package with ORCA.

After that, installation work fine for me.

Hope that help and let’s us know.

Regards.