XML Notepad 2006

XML Notepad 2006 provides a simple intuitive User Interface for browsing and editing XML documents.  XML Notepad shows how to use some advanced features of System.XML in the .NET Frameworks 2.0.  The download includes source code. See the handy design doc that goes with it.  Features include:

• Tree View synchronized with Node Text View for quick editing of node names and values.
  • Incremental search (Ctrl+I) in both tree and text views, so as you type it navigates to matching nodes.
  • Cut/copy/paste with full namespace support.
  • Drag/drop support for easy manipulation of the tree, even across different instances of XML Notepad and from the file system.
  • Infinite undo/redo for all edit operations.
  • In place popup multi-line editing of large text node values.
  • Configurable fonts and colors via the options dialog.
  • Full find/replace dialog with support for regex and XPath.
  • Good performance on large XML documents, loading a 3mb document in about one second.
  • Instant XML schema validation while you edit with errors and warnings shown in the task list window.
  • Intellisense based on expected elements and attributes and enumerated simple type values.
  • Support for custom editors for date, dateTime and time datatypes and other types like color.
  • Handy nudge tool bar buttons for quick movement of nodes up and down the tree.
  • Inplace HTML viewer for processing xml-stylesheet processing instructions.
  • Built-in XML Diff tool.

Chris Lovett

1. Wictor says:

I really miss the XML source view in this application, this would make it really useful. XML source view synchronized with the XML tree as well as "intellisense" editing of the XML would make it a perfect application for editing XML files.

2. Agree with Wictor. There should be another tab with source view.

3. XmlTeam says:

Well, our real XML text editor with everything you want is in Visual Studio 2005.  We couldn’t fit all this into a tiny download.  But integrating this kind of tree view into Visual Studio is something we could do in the future if enough people think it’s a good idea.

– Chris

4. Wictor says:

I understand that this should be a tiny and small application, but some kind of source view are interesting. For example when you have installed your applications on a server and you want to edit some xml based configuration files this would be the typical application that I would like to use, not install Visual Studio 2005 (Express) or similar.

When you talk about the Visual Studio 2005 IDE, there are an embryo to a tree view based XML editor in the VS2005 SDK under the samples (VisualStudioIntegration/samples/IDE/CSharp/Example.XMLDesigner) which looks really interesting. Make that designer a new view of the XML editor would be great. The "Data" view of the VS2005 XML designer is not working when you have nested XML trees/hierarchic trees.

Keep up the good work!

/WW

5. El Bruno says:

Hace unos días Luis (Microsoft) me comentó que ya está a disposición de los desarrolladores el nuevo

6. P. says:

Using a ‘in-the-namespacesgrid-manually-added’ namespace+prefix in the search-window always gives an ‘Namespace prefix ‘x’ is not defined.’-error.

Using the same values when added to this grid by the application itself (read as: with a node selected in the treeview + CTRL-F) works fine..?

7. riyush says:

i want to update it

8. drscroogemcduck says:

nice product. but it won’t properly authorise against my proxy at work so it refuses to load any documents with an external dtd.

9. Robert Salita says:

How about printing? Would like to print individual panes.

10. Aaron Baranoff says:

The tool works great.

However, I would like to customize it for my needs. The source zip is included in the download but is missing XMLdiffpatch8 and XMLdiffview8 and their sources. Are they available and from where?

11. Jan Perner says:

Exists some documentation for WinForm user controls such as  XmlTreeView, TaskList … included in XML Notepad? I can’t find it.

12. Jan Perner says:

13. John says:

The source zip is included in the download but is missing XMLdiffpatch8 and XMLdiffview8 and their sources. Are they available anywhere?

14. Harald M. Genauck says:

Why can’t I drag a file for opening onto a XML Notepad icon on my desktop?

15. BuddhaChu says:

Too bad the app requires you to have a schema setup before  a stylesheet will work.  All my xml projects are tiny, self-contained setups and I don’t need xsd docs for them to work.  I wish there was a way ot turn off validation so I can see the rendered output.  Because it doesn’t, I’m back to the old fashioned way of Notepad and manually opening the xml doc a bagillion times in IE.

16. z-systems says:

This is a great program, but it won’t install in Windows Vista. It’s probably just a minor fix to the windows installer file, but it would be great if you fixed it.

17. flex says:

Can you host the xml notepad as a component?

We’re passing a load of serialized objects around on MQ and it would be great to be able to display them easily with your nice app.

18. El Bruno says:

Hace unos días Luis (Microsoft) me comentó que ya está a disposición de los

19. MARuel says:

If you press * on the collapsed XML tree, the vertical scrollbar isn’t correctly updated for big enough documents.

20. Mike says:

21. Kaushik says:

I tried to use this to open a file 750Mb. It crashed. Any recommendations which Xml viewer to use ?

22. Chris Lovett, who works in our XML Team (within the Data Programmability team) has been interviewed discussing

23. Chris Lovett, who works in our XML Team (within the Data Programmability team) has been interviewed discussing

24. Every now and then I like to get a pulse on what people are using for their development environment.

25. Every now and then I like to get a pulse on what people are using for their development environment.

26. says:

Seit dem 21.11.2006 ist das XML Notepad 2007 über das Microsoft Download Center verfügbar. Wie es zu