What to do during Xbox LIVE maintenance

As Major Nelson posted on his blog, Xbox LIVE will be unavailable for up to 24 hours tomorrow June 16. We thought you might have some questions. Well, at least one.

Q: What the heck am I going to do for 24 hours if I can’t troll the forums, pwn my rivals, download stuff on Marketplace and video chat with my friends?

A: We’re glad you asked. We hereby submit our Top Ten Things to Do on June 16 2009:

1. Beef up your Gamerscore. That’s right; you can still earn achievements when you’re offline. Your achievements will be uploaded to the Xbox LIVE service when it becomes available.

2. Play some of the amazing single-player games in your games library: Fallout 3, Fable 2, Assassin’s Creed, BioShock and Mass Effect are some of the best.

3. Nominate a friend for the Gamer Spotlight. Trixie360’s email will still be working, so drop her a line at xlmail@microsoft.com and tell her who you think needs some attention on Xbox.com.

4. Catch up on your gaming podcast listening: We suggest Xbox 360 Fancast, Sarcastic Gamer Pink, Loading Reality, Unscripted360, GameHounds and The Married Gamers to name just a few.

5. Study up on June 16 history. Here are some examples of momentous events that occurred on 6/16:
      a. 1858 – Abraham Lincoln gave his “House Divided” speech.
      b. 1963 – Valentina Tereshkova became the first woman in space.
      c. 1980 – The movie “The Blues Brothers” opened in Chicago, IL.

6. June 16 is also the birthday of Geronimo, Joyce Carol Oates, and Stan Laurel. So watch “Geronimo: A Living Legend”, read Oates’ short story “Where are you Going, Where Have you Been?” or screen “Nothing But Trouble.”

7. Holidays anyone? Hoist a glass in honor of Bloomsday in Dublin and Youth Day in South Africa.

8. Talk to your significant other. Maybe even your children. How old are they now?

9. Shop for Dad. Father’s Day is next Sunday, June 21! If he’s a gamer, you know exactly what to get him!

10. Check out what some folks from the Xbox LIVE Twitter community will be up to:

• I’ll be finally doing my laundry and food shopping, HAHA, mrfusiononcar

• Stack controllers and game boxes around my XBOX to build the Eiffel Tower, then knock down as XBOXZilla. UnderTaker

• Crawl up in the fetal position and scream for mommy while crying in a dark closet! aimzb

• Create an orbital array of kittens to begin my evil plan of world domination. BahamutZaero

• Finally enjoy a night off from my 1 vs 100 addiction. wolvie75 VwR

• Finally organize the 360 game cases that have take over my house. III ULTRA III

• Maybe remove the inch thick layer of dust off my ps3 and actually use it for once? sc00termcg33

• Walk outside and realize there is an outside world, and it’s not as cool as Gears of War 2! DarqFlare

1. Record the latest episode of the Truthcast! 😀

2. Gawd 0f Sn1p1ng says:

Hanging out with my friends, instead of staring at a bloody game, with blood shot eyes!

3. RockinTheRedDog says:

Um…number 6.  Laurel and Hardy did not do Who’s On First…that was Abbott & Costello.

4. mhart says:

play new game Ghostbusters which hits stores tomorrow

5. trixie360 says:

at RockinTheRedDog. Yep, my bad. It’s fixed now. I blame BabyTrixie.

6. CooperHawkes says:

I’m gonna keep playing Mass Effect since I’m trying to queue up a TON of different Shepards with different decisions to play through on Mass Effect 2.. I think it’s going to take me five years to finish Mass Effect 2 at this rate..

7. carocat says:

I’ll also be playing Mass Effect, replaying that as evil character at the moment.

8. rob says:

hey, how bout u guys fix current problem before ya start new ones. wow!!!

9. Har says:

So we all get 50,000 free Microsoft points for this travesty right?

10. Gooshaboo374 says:

im just gonna hold my breath untill its back up. that will teach them!

11. Gooshaboo374 says:

im just gonna hold my breath untill its back up. that will teach them!

12. WAR DOGZ1919 says:

Guess i get back to making my game or finish building my computer or maybe watch a movie for once 😛

13. XshadowfexX <<< my GT says:

lie down and cry till i can play lone wolves on halo again )’: , and whats that you said about 50,000 free market pts? O.o!

14. ima ninja says:

stab myself in the chest instead of waiting ’till tommrorow 😛

15. mjaymack21 says:

man i hate to wait i had no clue this was going down they should really warn someone about this when xbox live system is working, like on spotlight or something to give a heads up next time

16. AiR StRiKe 360 says:

Well mjaymack21, if you have eyes…..the Xbox live team sent a message to everyone (yes, everyone) with a gold membership saying that live was going down for atleast a day.

17. FoSevn says:

Complain to xbox live support to get refunded 24hrs gold membership >8-|

18. King Boone says:

I’M going to play my PS3 and killzone 2 all day instead.

19. xG ShiFF says:

Well they actually did send everyone a message saying that they were going t o update today but im assuming that everyone just deleted it without reading it but ill probably play CoD 4+5 and get some gamerscore and maybe go do other things since its nice out. But at first i forgot about the update and then i thought it was my internet but i went on here and said oh yah there is and update :p

20. toothpick666 says:

ill be doing that painting in the bathroom what my mums being nagging me about for the past three weeks 🙂

21. THE AWESOME says:

IM GOING TO GO TO OUR BASKETBALL CAMP TODAY ITS ALOT OF FUN!!!!!

22. THE AWESOME says:

WE SHOULD COMPLAIN TO XBOX LIVE AND GET 24 HOURS OF FREE GOLD MEMBERSHIP OR GET A REFUND OR SOMETHING

23. sharpedogg&arrogantcarmine says:

were gonna kick some major butt on call of duty and try to complete it. And maybe go outside and see the sun and walk to guitar center.Stay strong it will be over before u know it.

24. sm0ky the bear says:

Go out and get some sun. I knew that acheivement meant something.

25. mastur cheef says:

probably gonna go on you tube and finish watching that half hour long video that keeps me up at night

26. Chris says:

well cant play anything cause i downloaded add-ons for my game and with no live, i cant play mass effect,

Fallout 3, Fable 2 or anything else that requires Live after you’ve downloaded an add on. Boooo

27. Travis says:

everyone should get this 24hr period back added to subbscription we pay for it we dont pay for it to be down.

28. Jason says:

I admit I’m annoyed.  Girlfriend’s out of town and I was looking forward to playing C.O.D.MW. Oh well.  Maybe I’ll go to happy hour.

29. fourtwizzlE says:

well i’ll be using the "free" time provided by Microsoft Game Studios, to further hone my ability to withstand the temptation to destroy the planet. sorta like tetsuo shiima from akira. "free" time from the woes of being so close to Forza 2 tournament grandure. but maintenance is necessary when you’re providing a service as tremendous as xbox live. thnx.

would it be too much to ask for some MSpoints to compensate the void of being wrecked out of another trophy!

fourtwEnti@n

30. Porter says:

any way to find out when xbox live is up and running?

31. goose says:

it sucks for me cuz…i just got my brand new all black xbox last nite…i was online for about two hours and it shut off…i was like what the hell.but i know whats up now.. its all good i was playing prototype anyway………..get at me gametag zombiekid626…

32. Optimus Pwns U says:

I would try to play the great single player games like Bioshock or Mass Effect.. but oh wait like Chris siad… I have content I downloaded and now cannot play the game unless I restart….. I was so close to getting the historian and brass balls achievment in Bioshock…

33. Man lol I was hoping it was just for 12 hours,

but this time away from live gave me the chance to get all the skulls and marathon man woop woop, yet I still can’t beat it on legendary :(…

I NEED LIVE!!! THERE IS NO OUTSIDE WORLD ONLY A VAST WASTELAND WITHOUT GRAVITY HAMMERS OR CARBINES!!!

I was driving down the road and this car was getting too close to me, and I could have sworn I was holding a mauler and tried to shoot it lulz. I know pretty that is pretty sad; I must be becoming delusional.

34. dakota says:

time to take my fallout 3 out

(blows dust off fallout 3 case) alright lets destroy some muttie faces

35. Predxen says:

I will have to…um PLAY THE WII(suddenly hears a backround music DUN DUN DUN DUN)-wii sucks

36. AveryMaurice says:

Work on some of my Halo 3 Forge maps and upload them when live is back, or I could study for exams… nah.

37. SANTATHENINJA says:

HOW MUCH LONGER DAMNIT, THEY SHOULD AT LEAST GIVE OUT THE HALO 3 MAP PACKS FREE FOR SUFFERING

38. ren0lz says:

oh my god! i have been waiting for so long now! you promised me to come backonline at 00:01 xbox live! whyyy whyyyy!!!!

39. jeff says:

go outside enjoy nature  ha.ha.ha.

40. mjaymack21 says:

well yeah i guess they sent it in the mail or whatever man but i get butt loads of mail all the time i can’t check it all and if they can do little spotlight interviews of games and stuff why not something like were shutting down xbox live for a day now i have my day off at work and nothing to do at the house oh well ive beatin every game i have thats why it sucks

41. DueBigal12345 says:

Play call of duty 4 modern warfare on old school free for all and find new places to go and look for glitches if there is any left out there. Also i think we should get our 24 hrs back because mine expires on the 24

42. Tha Dee Zee says:

This is torture. I hate when this happens. I was first driven insane thinking something was wrong with the connection in my house. Nope. Then I just realized something. If I want certain achievements on some games. They might go away when I sign on to xbox live.

Happened to me on Mass Effect before. No way am I going to sit there trying to use a power again. -.-

I need live to succeed in my achievement obsessed needs! >:(

43. Ryan says:

What about Tupac Shakur’s birthday?Thats today as well isn’t it?

44. dwa1275 says:

what  was that all about nothing new but your profile update on xbox.com…thats it, so when does facebook come out ya i know this fall but when this fall

45. darkpheonix21692169 says:

I got on sacred 2 and leveled the heck out of my shadow warrior.  He is a tank now for his level.

46. Me says:

Screw Microsoft and their faulty products. I’m thinking about to PS3.

Getting tired of sending in my box every 2 months.

Ridiculous.