Emergence Day

What takes 4.7 million lines of code, partner teams from all over Microsoft, and millions of dollars to create?  The Xbox 360 system software?  Nope.  This is just the HD DVD player.

The Xbox platform team (us) is experiencing its own emergence day as of late; we’ve been hard at work for the past 8 months straight bringing the fall system update to fruition.  I haven’t even posted since August.  Daryl’s already gone over a lot of the features and changes that are in this release.  I’ve personally been working on the Xbox 360 HD DVD player (which, by the way, reached the #1 best seller slot on Amazon.com’s video games category) and I thought I’d go over some of the technical difficulties it takes to bring HD DVD to market.

There’s a perception that HD DVD is just DVD with HD content, but once you look at things more closely, it’s clear that HD DVD is a different beast altogether.  The Xbox platform team became serious about HD DVD last year, when Microsoft as a company threw its endorsement behind the standard.

The Xbox 360 HD DVD Player, for the most part, is an entirely software based implementation.  Other players on the market have specialized chips (called DSPs) that decode things like H.264, MPEG, VC1, DTS, Dolby Digital, and other codecs.  Much like how backwards compatibility for Xbox 1 works on Xbox 360, the heavy parts of HD DVD are all done on Xbox 360’s triple-core CPU.

If DVD is an audio/video pipeline with some navigation data (go to the menu, start playing, etc.), HD DVD can be considered a runtime environment where audio/video playback is just one major feature.  So let’s break down that 4.7 million lines of code.  I don’t have the numbers for each component, but each of these is a very significant chunk:

That’s a lot of stuff.  Some of the acronyms may not be recognizable.  GDI is the Graphics Device Interface, which has been a mainstay of the Windows operating system for many years, providing facilities to draw stuff on screens.  MF is Media Foundation – a framework for audio/video pipelines that was being built for Windows Vista.  The Windows teams in charge of the above components all pitched in to make them work on Xbox 360 while continuing to work on other Windows projects (Vista, CE, etc.) – quite a task.

A lot of the codecs existed in code at Microsoft before the Xbox 360 HD DVD Player was being built.  However, it was all code that was optimized for PC platforms (windows/x86) and not Xbox 360’s PPC core.  This meant doing a lot of optimization.  In this regard, the Xbox 360 implementation of H.264 can be considered a crowning achievement.  For this computationally expensive codec, a hybrid approach was taken.  Since GPUs are very good at parallelized workloads, stuff that could be parallelized is computed there, while the stuff that can’t is better suited to the CPU and is done there.

Unlike DVD, where typical players pass the audio data from the disc through to your receiver, HD DVD requires that players mix sounds from menus and such in with the audio being played for the movie.  The 360 player software decodes all the above codecs in software, mixes anything that needs to go together, re-encodes it into Dolby Digital and then sends that to your receiver.  So, don’t be alarmed when your receiver still says “Dolby Digital” even if you’ve selected DTS in the menus.

All 6 of Xbox 360’s hardware threads are hard at work while playing back an HD DVD.  At the moment, the player software pushes Xbox 360 harder than any other (save, perhaps, Gears of War during some particularly busy parts of the game).

If I’d have known how much work it was going to be bringing the 360 HD DVD Player out this year, I may not have signed up last year, but now that I can watch HD movies, it’s hard to go back to crummy old DVD 🙂

1. Brian Hoyt says:

First, thanks for the hard work I am really looking forward to playing an HD-DVD soon via the 360.  Second, can you speak to audio quality available for HD-DVD on the 360?  I ask because I have read that SPDIF can’t handle the bit rate necessary for multi-channel lossless audio?  Since there is no fall back to 6 channel analog on the 360 is it limited to standard DD bit rates?  If so what kind of quality loss is that versus the 6 channel analog or a HDMI 1.3 compliant HD-DVD player?  Looking forward to any info.

2. BLite says:

So we don’t get true DTS output, ie – this is a crippled HD-DVD implemention?

(If you care enough to have HD-DVD, you may have enough invested to care about your sound reproduction)

Looks like I’ll need a standalone player.

3. Caldor says:

Not having HDMI has resulted in you not delivering a good HD-DVD solution:

1. No ICT support

2. No TrueHD support

3. No Dolby Digital Plus support

4. No DTS-HD support

And, your VGA output in the fall update doesnt appear to work to vga standards. Some computer monitors and tv displays wont work with 1080P over vga. I know the Sony SXRD, the frequency of the refresh is wrong and this garbles the display.

If you had of provided HDMI none of these vga compatability issues would exist.

4. Hans Gruber says:

"All 6 of Xbox 360’s hardware threads are hard at work while playing back an HD DVD.  At the moment, the player software pushes Xbox 360 harder than any other (save, perhaps, Gears of War during some particularly busy parts of the game)."

Will the fans be running at full speed then?

5. sage says:

So, you make it downsample the DD+ and DTS-HD audio to DD5.1 and send it via the optical out? That’s a bit dissapointing…would like true hd-audio.

6. Dave says:

Perhaps you could "develop" some DivX support 😛

7. Dan says:

So does this mean even if i want to listen to the much better sounding DTS I can’t!!!

8. Dave R. says:

So you re-encode the audio to DD5.1 even if the user has selected one of the other formats? Won’t this downgrade the quality of DTS etc., which are less compressed than DD? What about the situation where people have different EQ settings on their receivers for the various sound formats? (I often boost the surrounds for DTS because I find it fainter for example.)

I can understand giving the option to re-encode for formats where there currently aren’t compatible receivers (TrueHD for example), but it should be optional and you should enable pass through for all formats and support mixing the iHD sounds in any stream format.

I hope I haven’t misunderstood the statement, but this doesn’t sound like good news to me.

9. P says:

I would just like to thank you for all your hard work in bringing this to 360 owners!

Also great work on the latest update for 1080p! The only thing I would have you address is that 1080p looks a bit blurrier on VGA and component than either 720p or 1080i. Would be awesome if you could look into that. Otherwise it’s pretty great that we now have that option. Keep up the good work!

10. Thanks for sharing, I was wondering how all that was going to be pulled off on 360 and only recently saw a preview of how HD DVD works on 360.  I hadnt realised just how much more complicated it is than DVD (other than the much more CPU heavy codecs).

One question though.  If everything is mixed to dolby digital then when you dont have the menu up does it switch back to for example DTS?  Generally the pre-encoded audio of movies is vastly superior to what the 360 can pull in realtime (for obvious reasons of speed) so only being to watch all HD DVD movies in realtime-encoded audio might be seen as a HUGE loss in quality by some people.

All said, im looking forward to getting the HD DVD drive as soon as a) its available in the UK b) I can afford it.  I only wish the content providers had the sense to encode everything in 16:9 instead of the thinner annoying widescreen that leaves borders even on a HDTV. 🙁  Its quite frustrating when you watch the same movie on US HDTV stations actually IN 16:9 and thus superior to HD DVD in my opinion.  Id rather have lower bitrate full-screen 16:9 than high-bitrate with black bars ANY day.  But thats an argument for another time and no fault of the HD DVD technology.

11. SouthPaw says:

You should point out that the 360 HD-DVD addon is much faster then all of HD disk players in market today. HD-DVD and Blu-Ray.

12. Jonas says:

Wow. Just wow.

3 3.2GHz cores and a fast GPU, and you are pushing that thing to the limit? Why does it take so much horsepower – what am I missing?

13. Laserman says:

Wow, I hope that means you guys implemented 71.928 Hz and synched playback so that we get judder free playback for HD movies.

That is the *only* way to watch HD films as at 60Hz you get the horrible horrible judder from trying to make 24 frames (well 23.976) fit into 60. By running at 71.928Hz you simply display each frame of video 3 times and get silky smooth artefact free playback.

Of course for PAL you could just go 50Hz or 75Hz if the monitors would take it.

All the guys with CRT projectors would become XBOX360 owners tomorrow if it supported 71.928Hz and IVTC.

14. StickBrown says:

Neat article!

I guess that also puts to rest the speculation of getting  the HDDVD drive work on a regular PC 😛

15. Graves says:

…Dolby Digital?  The bottom of the barrel for surround sound?  That’s a letdown.

Personally, audio is secondary to me so it’s not a deal breaker, but I’ve already seen people bailing on this attachment because the audio is no better than DVD.

16. Wingshot says:

"Audio Codecs: Dolby Digital+, DTS, TrueHD, LPCM, MPEG"

"So, don’t be alarmed when your receiver still says "Dolby Digital" even if you’ve selected DTS in the menus."

This confuses me a little bit – will playback be limited to only Dolby Digital even if the source is DTS?

What other "changes" in playback does the software make to the source material?

17. Doug says:

"So, don’t be alarmed when your receiver still says "Dolby Digital" even if you’ve selected DTS in the menus. "

I won’t be alarmed but I am not happy, I prefer DTS.  I am curious though, what is being done to SACD audio?  I put a disc in the other day, it played but DD was being shown on my receiver.

18. Sigurdur G. says:

Very interesting post, thanks for giving us an insight into how big this task was/is.

I have a question regarding Dolby+ and TrueHD.  Are you saying you decode those, then re-encode everything as Dolby Digital?  isn’t that sort of missing the point of TrueHD?

19. Gary F says:

I’m very impressed that you have been able to this all completely in software. And what you have done with emulating the original xbox in software is also a major coding accomplishment.

I can’t wait to get my hands on the HDDVD drive as its a very affordable way of getting a HDDVD player.

There is only one area I am worried about and it is your statement that all 6 of the hardware threads are hard at work  while playing back a HD DVD, does this also mean that all of the cooling fans will be at full power keeping the processors cool while playing a HD DVD which is fine if your watching Xmen, or King Kong with your surround sound all the up to 11 but what about quieter scenes.

20. Nicholas says:

Crazy. And very interesting; I’m sure a lot of people were wondering how you were pulling it off.

21. Ralf Kraus says:

What about the fan noise ? If the CPU load is that high is the fan speed like DVD playback or like playing games ???

22. GhettoLevis says:

Hm, with so many lines of code, there’s a high chance for some errors. I hope everything works out fine, as I’m going to get my HD-DVD Drive the minute (and I *mean* -the minute-) it is going to hit the stores here in Austria.

In that spirit:

Good Work! (if everything works as intended 😉 )

23. Sean says:

What is the official launch date? The 7 or 8th? or still mid month?

24. It is not Player but it is a drive says:

I am Japanese, and the machine translation is used.

There is a law that prevents the false labeling in Japan.

Why were "Xbox 360 HD DVD Player" and the name named to the HD DVD

drive?

It is not Player but it is a drive.

25. Mukund says:

Great work.

Its really a pleassure to watch our own work do well. I think you are on top of the sky. 🙂

Congrats for the work to the enire team.

26. James O'Rourke says:

Would there be any point in setting the movie to DTS if it gets re-encoded to DD anyway??

27. SuperSaiyan4 says:

Hi this is very interesting especially the TrueHD codec, does this mean the 360 will have HD surround sound? If so how is this acheived if there is no HDMI cable? Can TrueHD surround sound be sent through the existing cabling?

Also there is no option for TrueHD sound in the 360’s sound settings will this option be available when plugging in the H-DVD player add-on?

28. Phrozen1one says:

What is the Release Date for this Add-On no one has the same

answer.

29. Mark G says:

That’s one noisy Xbox when playing movies, running the console flat out….

30. Ozymandias says:

Saw a post from Shaheen Ghandhi (of the Xbox Platform Team) describing the work that went into enabling

31. Sean says:

Can we get an official launch date for the drive? everyone is confused is it this week or next.

32. Chip says:

Now if we just had a way for the XBox 360 DVD player to actually play back TrueHD soundtracks (*cough* HDMI *cough*) we’d be set.

33. Alex says:

Impressive work, and thanks for the option to use the HD-DVD player.  However, since the H.264 code is now in the console, how come it’s not enabled for streaming the video to it?

For a machine that’s meant to be so versatile, and the code is already there, this seems like an unecessary limitation.

34. So now that you have some kick-ass code for doing HD-DVD could the Xbox 360 team leverage that code to augment the 360’s Media Center capabilities? The majority of videos I want to play on my 360 from my PC are not encoded as WMV but are predominantly:

Xvid

Divx

H.264

Mpeg-4

Mpeg-2

If the 360 would support H.264 and Xvid this would be a great start

35. daleph says:

Hi, shaheeng. Last I evaluated the XBox DVD player, it didn’t perform as well as I had hoped given the h/w in the unit. I figure you can’t have it all and it is an evolving platform.

At http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/cgi-bin/shootout.cgi?function=search&articles=all&type=&manufacturer=31&maxprice=0&deInt=0&mpeg=0 is the technical benchmark that the home theater hi-fi guys do and it lists the benchmark tests the XBox 360’s DVD passed and failed.

Do you have an opinion on how the new HDDVD transport+software will do? Will I see similar pass/fail or is this HDDVD platform completely new?

36. Jerec says:

lol Its iHD, get it right MS! :o)

37. Me says:

Well, the transport for the DVD is pretty good IMO.

I just wish I could use some fast forward and rewind on my music player too!

Please guys, I’m trying to listen to two hour shows of Major Nelson on my box…

38. Xm2 says:

"4.7 million lines of code"

Just Qooolllll…

39. C.Sheehan says:

Hi, Wondering what your thoughts are on Nyko Intercooler in relation to the HD-DVD processing.  Specifically, I have heard MS rumors that this fan device is stealing precious power from the x360, but on the other hand, this thing gets hot under normal use.  If this HDDVD player is going to push the hardware that much harder = more heat, thus fan should help keep cool, but dont want to shoot myself in the proverbial foot if the box is not getting the power it needs for the three cores.  Comments from the hardware developers?

40. A lot. 4.7 million lines of code for the HD player to work on an xbox 360 to be exact. I was glancing

41. Scott says:

Am I understanding this correctly?

"The 360 player software decodes all the above codecs in software, mixes anything that needs to go together, re-encodes it into Dolby Digital and then sends that to your receiver.  So, don’t be alarmed when your receiver still says "Dolby Digital" even if you’ve selected DTS in the menus. "

Does that mean no DTS 2496 playback if we use the 360 for HDDVD playback?

42. Andrew says:

So in your opinion, what displays the HD-DVD content better, a chip solution (like the other players you mention) or the software solution?  I’m just curious more then anything.

43. mansoor says:

I am not sure, but this sounds little bit weird to me. :sigh:

44. The guys who work on the HD DVD player have posted some interesting behind the scenes details on the

45. dalg says:

Please get 1080p output working on the Samsung LE40FB 1080p TV via component, when you click to keep 50hz it goes back to 60hz where it’s all fuzzy/distorted… It’s basicly not saving the 50hz settings.

46. Brian Hoyt says:

Can you speak to how the sound is remixed and downsampled.  I assume everything is output a DD 5.1 (6.1?).  What bit rate?  I know that SPDIF can’t handle the full bandwidth that HD-DVD offers.  Also since there is no 6 analog out I am curious what is quality?

47. TES7769 says:

You should take a long sabatical after all the hoopla dies down and the Holidays are through.Just make sure wherever you end up, that the roofs are made of straw,the front yard is sand and ocean,and the native woman wear bikinis 365 a year.

You’ve earned it!

48. JMWTech says:

Wow!  I guess there is a bunch more than I had realized to getting the HD-DVD player up and running.  It’s great to see that its coming out!  Now if you can just get the dash board guys to make the 1080p work on my Sony KDL-40XBR2.  Just kidding Great work!  Thanks!

49. Jason says:

TruHD???  I thought this was not supported on the HD-DVD add on?

50. GSullivan says:

Daleph, I’m not sure home much things have changed but its worth noting that the 360 DVD playing software was substantially updated in the spring patch and that review you linked to predates that.

51. Hello, great to know these details before product launch, it looks like  a ton of work. Specially that mixing and re encoding of all the sound. I do have some issues here, but I guess it all is because the Xbox 360 can only output Dolby Digital from those standards supported.  It is a shame it has no DTS support at least for output, but could it be possible in the future or the licensing issues are too big to overcome and we’ll have to stick to DD?

Like daleph  above I also made some tests to the DVD player on my 360, and indeed the deinterlacer is quite average. What can we expect playing dvds from this device? I’d guess that the HD-DVD subsystem wouldn’t be used at all in such situation, but I hope that it is since I’d like to see a good scaler and deinterlacer implemented there.

52. Lukas Taves says:

You guys are the best!

Thanks for making 360 the best console ever!

53. Brian says:

So does this now mean that an XBox 360 with HD-DVD drive cannot output a DTS bitstream? Or just that while in menus (and not the main feature) it will mix to Dolby Digital until it kicks over when the film is played?

54. Zack says:

Wow, thats amazing, but i was wondering, how is the HD-DVD player going to plug into the xbox, im thinking that it will probaly be plugging into the regular audio/video slot, and then take the audio/video cables and then plugging them into the back of that, it seems logical to me, it just doesnt seem like the USB port could handle the HD-DVD, but hey i could be wrong, let me know, my email is wood_pusher182@yahoo.com , Thanks

55. Zack says:

56. Graves says:

Disappointing that it will only be Dolby Digital. That’s bottom-of-the-barrel at this point, besides plain ol’ stereo.

57. Wozzas!!! Looks like a ton of work went into this thing.  I Can’t wait until I get mine, hopfully they’ll figure out the 1080p thing for the sony XBR series TVs so I can rock HD-DVD on my TV.  Thanks for you hard work man!

58. DJ oz says:

When you say audio is re-encoded into Dolby Digital does that mean that the bit rate of an DTS stream at 1.5mbs is reduced to the 448Kbs of Dolby?

Or does the xbox output a 1.5mb Dolby stream and would many older amps handle such a stream that goes beyond the expected 448 or 6xx?

Thanks guys

59. gre says:

i dont know about this dvd rom, cuz ive been through two of them cuz they will stop reading my games, even when they are brand new!!

60. Fiann says:

I have to say I am a bit disappointed in one aspect. Specifically the audio formats. The player supposedly supports DTS, etc. However one of the big benefits of DTS over Dolby Digital is it’s higher bitrate. So, basically, what you’re doing is taking one compressed format, mixing it with other stuff, then encoding the whole thing into an inferior, lower bit-rate format, thus negating any advantage to be had by using the better format in the first place. It’s sort of like taking a 256 kbps MP3 file and reencoding it into a 96k WMA file. No matter how you slice it you just negated any advantage in audio quality you may have had in the 256kbps file. VERY disappointing.

61. Ken Edwards says:

My only question is this: 4.7 million lines of code compaired to what?  How about a comparison to the entire code base of the 360’s dashboard.

62. whokilledkaji says:

How about region codes? I have a Japanese Xbox 360 and I am wondering if the american HD-DVD player will work?

Thanks!

63. Will the HD DVD player be able to play games? If so, and it’s quieter, that would rock (the built in is so loud).

What’s the seek time on the HD DVD peripheral, versus the built-in Xbox 360 HD DVD player?

The seek time of the PS3’s Blu-ray drive is one of the things that’s getting Sony some heat.

Oh, and thanks to you and your team for the work you did for the HD DVD peripheral — I expect to get a lot of enjoyment out of it, and as a development manager, I’m sensitive to how sucky "how much work it was going to be" can … uh … be.

64. Glenn says:

Thanks for all the hard work guys on the HD DVD 🙂 I’m sure we’ll all enjoy it in the end 🙂

65. Jordan Lund says:

How many more lines would it take to make it upconvert DVDs to 720p or 1080i?

66. With the release of the Xbox 360 HD DVD add-on drive, I thought people might like to know how it compares

67. I really hope you can help us HD CRT owners who suffer from horrible black levels on HD videos and games under 720p or 1080i. (although most games have brightness sliders) the xbox live videos and HD-DVD unit do NOT!

PUT IN A UNIVERSAL DASHBOARD brightness SLIDER Please!

Your game developers know this to be an issue with differnt types of TV’s, the Launch game perfect dark zero even named its brightness system by the names of the kinds of displays. Some games dont have them so im literally left in the dark on those!

I would love to hear back with an email from a developer as I feel talking to 18004myxbox doesnt get me much of anywhere. Thank you for your time

See my URL above for my email

-Jason

68. anonymous says:

WHY DOESN’T MS DISTRIBUTE THESE CODECS AS ADDONS FOR WINDOWS VISTA? MAYBE ULTIMATE EXTRAS?

69. Bob says:

So does tht mean all digital sound formats are down-coverted to standard DD (640kb)?

How about DD+ and DTS?  A dashboard option should exist to allow conversion into these higher bitrate formats.

70. Bocho says:

Will the HD DVD player work with xbox 360 purchased in another country. i.e. mexico???

71. Juan Fermin says:

So when will it be integrated into the Xbox 360

72. Dave Whitehead says:

Just picked this drive up yesterday, and I have to say within a couple of minutes of playback I was aware of the dynamic range constriction. Without doubt, the dynamic range meta data in the original dolby digital bitstream is not making it to the amp, as proved by the amps dynamic range selection having no effect. This is a deal breaker for me. I have emailed tech support, and await a response, but if this isnt fixed in a few days, I’ll be returning it.

Clearly it could be resolved in a software update, but unfortunately, not too many people are observant enough to notice this issue. Fingers crossed.

Dave

73. JB says:

The HD-DVD drive is great!  But can someone add a zoom feature (like on the DVD player software) so I can zoom 2.35:1 movies (like King Kong) so I don’t have black bars on the top and bottom of my plasma TV?

74. Andrew says:

For some reason, HD-DVDs look the best on my 720p display when I setup the Xbox360 to output 1080i.  However, games look the best when set to 720p.

Is there any chance of a future dashboard update having a seperate video output setting for HD-DVDs?  I’d really like not to have to manually change the resolution each time

75. Rob says:

Hi,

Great info.

However, why do all sound codecs downgrade to DD?

What about the higher bandwidth DD+ ?

I appreciate DD HD requires HDMI but what about DD+ and DTS?

A 360 dashboard option should be included to allow user selection of the HD DVD sound decode (e.g. DD – DTS – DD+).

76. Lily says:

To put forward one software DivX Subtitle Displayer:

<a href="http://www.qweas.com/download/video_dvd/video_players/divx_subtitle_displayer.htm"&gt;

<b>DivX Subtitle Displayer</b></a> – DivX Subtitle Displayer – Play DivX movie with well displayed subtitle !

77. bart says:

Flash DVD Ripper is a well-designed dvd ripping program that can convert your favorite DVD movie to MPEG, AVI, VCD, or SVCD images on-the-fly. Flash DVD Ripper supports many important and useful features that include ripping a clip, splitting, etc. Convert DVD to MPEG ; Convert DVD to AVI ; Convert DVD to VCD or SVCD images ; MPEG may be MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 ; Select subtitles and languages ; Choice between PAL and NTSC Split by size or time

homepage: http://www.dvd-ripper.com

78. kim says:

Audio MP3 WAV WMA OGG Converter

Convert Audio Files MP3, WAV, WMA, OGG from One Format to Another Directly.

homepage: http://audio-converter.com

79. Larry says:

Audio MP3 Sound Recorder is used to record any audio streaming through your sound card into

audio formats MP3 or WAV file. homepage http://www.mp3-recorder.biz

80. Lisa says:

Easy MP3 Recorder records audio played through your sound card and saves it in MP3 or WAV

formats. Therefore, you can record audio from a Microphone, tape, Internet Radio Station,

Player(WinAMP, Windows Media Player, Real Player, and other …), Internet News, Movie,

Flash, Internet Conversation, Applications, and many more other audio sources.

homepage http://www.mp3recorder.biz

81. Hellen says:

Flash, Internet Conversation, Applications, and many more other audio sources.

homepage http://www.mp3recorder.biz

82. Pete Wharhool says:

I hope that the problem with the DTS audio can be solved in the new firmware.

83. Dave says:

I know its been said before but it is important, please enable DTS streaming, its just soooo much ritcher than DD.

We shouldn’t have to ask it should be in the option’s

84. coco says:

M4A to MP3 Converter can convert M4A video or audio files to MP3 files.

M4A to MP3 Converter can also convert other media files to MP3 files, these media files may

include WAV, OGG, WMA, WMV, ASF, ASX, MPEG-1, MPEG-2, MPEG-4, MP4, M4A, AAC, MOV

homepage: http://www.m4a-to-mp3-converter.com/

85. bart says:

M4A to MP3 Converter can convert M4A video or audio files to MP3 files.

homepage: http://www.m4a-to-mp3-converter.com/

86. Neill D says:

Even if the 3 CPU’s are being pushed to their limits, the fan noise shouldnt be a problem bacause a) there will be no disc spinning in the actual console drive and thus the console wont get as hot so the fans will not need to run at full speed. b) If youre like me you’ll have the surround sound at full volume. And all you whiners out there complaining about true HD or the lack there of, this drive is so cheap, you should be greatful that you dont need to pay £500 to watch an unproven format.

87. GMan says:

Given that HDMI is probably not feasible, how feasible is it to enable 5.1 analog output?  I believe the output connector has a few unused pins and if the motherboard was already designed for that capability, then it’s just a matter of writing up the code and a new cable to make it work.  Is this possible?

88. Carlos says:

Honestly I believe for this add on to be even close to worth a purchase it has to be able to output audio at trueHD somehow or its just a waste of 200 dollars that could be invested into a standalone.  Sure its a bargain but you end up losing money in the long run by having to sacrifice audio quality.

89. Czechnmymail says:

I know the author hasn’t responded at all, but I think you guys are slamming him pretty hard. Here he posts to you guys because he’s proud of what his team has managed, and all you can do is complain about his work? The only thing I don’t understand is disallowing DTS streaming. All this nonsense about how "ridiculous" it is to have to convert Dolby+ and Dolby TrueHD down is garbage. The dev team doesn’t have a choice. The console can only put out 2ch Analog or SPDIF.

Bravo to you guys. Nice work. Take a break and watch some movies on that nice piece of software.

The XBOX 360 seems almost limitless in terms of performance. I am extremely impressed. Sadly, I won’t be buying the HD-DVD drive because my TV only really supports 1080p through HDMI (the manufacturer claims otherwise, but so far no luck.)

90. Flyer91 says:

Way too much fan noise to be considered a serious addition to any home theater experience.

It’s not just a subtle thing that is only heard in the quietest passages, it drowns them out when on high speed with the most annoying squeal this side of fingernails on a chalk board.

C’mon guys, that is just unforgivable!!!

91. Bob says:

If it has to be recomplied anyway compile it back into at least DTS 5.1 or at least have that option.  My reciever has 7.1 DTS why can’t Microsoft use what we already have.

92. Tom says:

DTS Please, don’t leave it until the spring dashboard update roll it out now, please again!

93. scott says:

how about doing an update to close the hd dvd drive if the 360 is turned off with the drive open??

94. Daniel says:

Yeah, just read them all. For sure I want to wait on the xbox360 purchase untill the HD-DVD is integrated and the CPUs run much smarter, cooler and quiter. An HDMI output is also necessary. peace.

95. Microsoft Misleads on Xbox 360 IPTV–> Blog Page Subtitle –> Teaser – primarily used for links TO this page, like in search results. –> Source: http://www.cepro.com/news/mcpro/17507.html

96. Rob says:

Hi,

Any updates on progress with the HD DVD sound fix (i.e. option to decode to highe bitrate/quality format –  DD+, DD HD, DTS HD –> DTS) ?

Many early supporters are getting frustrated and are moving to stand alone players. Shame as the picture quality, speed etc of the implementation are excellent.

Any updates would be much appreciated.

97. Just got mine……works great but the lack of DTS is disappointing. Most DTS tracks have bigger bass and often offer immersive atmosphere…

It must be added later through dashboard update….

Keep up the good work

98. Doug says:

Speaking of audio codecs why doesn’t the Xbox360 play HDCDs, MS owns the codec?  DVD-Audio would be great as well.

99. What a glorious day it was when 360 hit the shelves.

100. RC says:

So it pushes the Xbox 360 harder than any other game (save GoW)?

Time to ship Xbox 360s with cooling fans that run on for a short while *after* you switch the machine off, I think.

101. user360 says:

A friend of mine installed the software that came with the xbox360 HDDVD on his xbox360 console.  Since then, he can no longer access his xbox live account.  How come?

More info: he has the fall 2006 update on his console before he installed the HDDVD software that came with the HDDVD.  Any help is appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

102. Gvaz says:

im pretty sure that AACS is the worst thing to ever happen in the electronics world.

and Vista is just a bloated piece of dog doo anyways.

103. ... says:

mmm.. nice design, I must say..

104. dannywilliams says:

for sale xbox 360 premium system + games

for sale xbox 360 premium system,

2 official wireless pads

20gb hard drive

headset

component hd av cable

proof of recipt, comes with original box, excellent condition, hardly any use

call of duty 3

tom clancy’s splinter cell double agent

fifa 2007

battlefield 2

oblivion

project gotham racing 3

tomb raider legend

$400

email me for any questions

a.products001@hotmail.com

a.products001@yahoo.com.

thanks

105. ... says:

Lavoro eccellente! ..ringraziamenti per le informazioni..realmente lo apprezzo: D

106. ... says:

The information I found here was rather helpful. Thank you for this.

107. User says:

Where I can find if Xbox 360 HD DVD player supports multi-region system?

108. pierre says:

did anyone know that unrated dvd will not play on hd dvd add on for the x-box 360. i’ve talked to microsoft and they say that’s the deal all hd movie have to be rated to play on there player.

did anyone see this and is there a solution????

pierreperron@videotron.ca

109. mpeg to dvd says:

110. KAP says:

I think this is a great piece of equipment at a fair price.  It is mind boggling that this was just "an idea" a little over a year ago.  You and your team are to be commended for a job well done.  I note the complaints about the lack of advanced sound options, however, I have to say that I am still happy with DD 5.1.  Keep up the good work!