New Backwards Compatibility Update (Version 1.5)

Today an update for Backwards Compatibility was released via Xbox Live.  Below is a list of the titles affected by this release.

By the way this is the largest update of new titles (39) since Launch of Xbox 360 last year..

Title Name

Trigger Man

Torino Winter Olympics 2006

Vietcong

Wrath Unleashed

X-Men II: Wolverine’s Revenge

NEW

For those Xbox 360 owners that do not have access to Xbox Live, Xbox.com will be updated soon with instructions on how to download this update through your PC.

As a former member of the team that produced Links 2004, I’m super excited to see it now on the list.  Within my building there are 5 or 6 former members of that team now working on on the Xbox 360 platform team and we’ll be online this week looking to get a few FastPlay rounds in at our old stomping grounds.

This was a big release for the Back-Compat team, but they are already working on the next version.  As always we look to user feedback on which titles to target first so please send feedback to backcomp@microsoft.com

-IndieGames (Daryl Welsh)

1. EastBeast314 says:

Awesome news! Great work!

2. Bill says:

Nice! Excellent job guys. A lot of really good games on this list.

If possible, can we get a changelog for the Updated games?

3. Mabsterama says:

The Xbox team has just released another update for backwards-compatibility. This one adds a tonne of

4. AngryNorwegian says:

Thanks for the update!:)

Have been waiting a long time for links2004… 😉

5. Dan says:

I love Links. I wish MS would have released more downloadable courses for it. I just wish I could bring my Xbox player over to the 360. Oh well I can play it again, right?

6. Warlord of Mars says:

That’s a good update, but I’m disappointed Psychonauts and Panzer Dragoon Orta did not make the list.  I thought Tim Schaefer was told his help was not needed in making his game BC?  What’s the deal with that?

7. Where oh where is Conker and Shenmue II?

Two Xbox exclusives that are still missing from the list.  Yet there are many games on there that are equally available on Gamecube and/or PS2. :-(

Are those games being considered?  Every single time a BC update is posted we request Conker and yet every new update lacks Conker in the list.  Is it just a hugely difficult game to make compatible?

Also is there something wrong with Burnout 3?  I just compared it running in 640×480 to 1360×768 and there seems to be NO difference.  It IS anti-aliased but otherwise identical to the Xbox version (I just compared them both on the same TV), the rims on the tyres etc are just as blocky.

Is the game not running in HD because it sure looks like 640×480 to me?

8. JCauthen says:

This was perhaps the most impressive BC update I’ve seen to date.  Links 2004 was at the top of my most desirably BC list!  I’ve heard it’s not widescreen, but it will be interesting to see how it looks on my 42" plasma at 720p.   Now if only TOCA 3, NFL 2K5, and Inside Drive 2004 will get the BC treatment I’ll go in peace 😉

9. Burnout 3 seems to be stuck at 480p, is there a problem with it?

It DOES look better than xbox thanks to anti-aliasing but the effect of that is less pleasing at 480p than it would be at 1360×768 that 360 is configured at.  I did also try other resolutions but my TV wont do 1280×720 over VGA so I couldnt test that.

I did make another post like this but it didnt come through.  If its under moderation then ignore this post and please put the other one up instead.

10. jeffyjones says:

Still no Munch’s Oddysee! :(

11. Duckets says:

no "The Warriors", "Flatout 2" or "Rallisport Challenge 2" :(

12. Firecrest says:

or JSRF, lol. 😛

Since the update, a couple folks are reporting problems with the 360 recognizing certain games supported by previous updates.

13. Carpathian says:

STILL no "Jet Set Radio Future" ??

Any chance of it making your next batch – it’s one of the only original xbox titles I want to play that hasn’t been done !

Fingers crossed !

14. Gildster says:

Great news – seeing Links on the list puts a huge smile on my face!

15. robbo says:

Good job bringing many more compatible games, especially burnout 3.  Looking at the forums from various sites its clear the big FIVE critically acclaimed games Psychonauts, Jet set radio future, panzer dragoon, chronicals of ridick and conker are sadly absent.  Im guessing you guys are saving the best till last :-)

16. Manu says:

Still not one single game that i actually want to play is supported :(

I really want Conkers Bad Fur Day!, the Prince of Persia games, Beyond Good and Evil, and Panzer Dragoon Orta..

These are all popular games too.. I’m surprised they are not priority titles.. :(

17. blaquewraith says:

Fantastic to get Burnout 3: Takedown back-compat. I was waiting for that one.

Counter Strike aswell.

Keep up the good work guys. Any chance of a regular release schedule, even tri-monthly? Something to look forward to like Live Arcade Wednesdays.

18. TheStig says:

What was the BC update they released last night all about?

19. THE M 47 says:

THIS IS THE CRAPPIEST UDATE

20. Ertai Wiz Adept says:

Thanks for the good work.  Was sad to hear that neither of the kingdom Under Fire games and neither of the x-men legends games aren’t there yet, but I hope you get them in the next batch.  :)

Please don’t stop the BC when the PS3/Wii come out.  I still worry about that Peter Moore comment.  Because of that, I worry that the BC will stop when the new systems come out.

Also I hope the Dance Dance Revolution games get BC updated, maybe after the dance pads for the DDR universe comes out then we’ll get it maybe I guess.

21. Zero says:

Seriously? Aquaman?, Catwoman?, The Incredibles?, Kabuki Warriors?, Outlaw Tennis?

Five of the worst games ever released for the xbox are being ported to te 360 but no Pyschonauts? No Panzer Dragoon Orta? No Conker? Stop wasting time people.

22. james cannell says:

No munchs oddysee, still. I really want this update made available

23. ertai wiz adept says:

hey i left a comment on here the other day how come it isn’t here?  I wasn’t spamming or trolling, I was just commenting about how I would like a couple games BC and wondering if DDR would ever be BC.

24. honest_jon says:

Sensible Soccer 2006

Yes please

25. Kyle Johnson says:

Here are the games that need to be on the next update please! i have been waiting since the first update for backward compatibility for:

Matrix Path of Neo

Lord of the Rings Two Towers

NFL Street

Soul Calibur 2

I never got an old xbox i went straight to 360, so there are alot of games that i never got to enjoy, if you are reading this xbox team please take it into consideration.

26. iRey says:

Metal Gear Solid 2 Substance… Please.. =(

27. RushADifficulty says:

The lack of OutRun 2006: Coast2Coast and Panzer Dragoon Orta is just criminal!

You’re adding trash instead of some true AAA titles to the list, why?

Take note and please do it!

28. Charlie says:

I want PSO !!!I bought the game specifically because i heard it was compatible, an ive been waiting for a while, Im really excited about PSU, but I want to Play PSO in the meantime, please!!! :(

29. nate from cali says:

how bout ghost recon & nfl streets 2 & need for speed: underground

30. moochee says:

When is the next update due (1.6) ? Will it have Radical’s Scarface The world is Yours on it – ’cause man that game rocks !

31. Chris M. says:

I really wish that the backwards compatibility team would release games that were at least in the top rankings or the highest rated. All that the gamers really want are the top rated games to be backwards compatible…

The only game that I really want to be backwards compatible anymore is Soul Calibur 2. Am I the only one that remembers when this game got the system a ton of acclaim? My girlfriend keeps mentioning how she loves soul calibur 2 but I can’t play it with her because it still has yet to be patched. It’d be nice to see Soul Calibur 2 on the list of backward compatible games before they can the project when ps3 and the wii come out.

32. pingu2k says:

Nice list!

I’d wished to see the Prine of Persia series on it – sadly, it isn’t…

Once I’ve read that Games with similar engines would be backward compatible at the same time. I’d thought Prince had the same engine as Tom Clancy’s.

My wish is still the Prince of Perisa series, as I don’t own an original Xbox. It’s just not as cool to play it on PC as on a console!

33. Dark Dajin says:

What about Dead or Alive: Extreme Beach Vollyball, I mean you guys have Outlaw in the list, why not DOAX?

34. SoJ says:

I would love to see NFL 2K5 make this list sometime.  Given the fact that EA has chosen to release stripped down versions of half-assed football games since they signed their exclusivity deal, myself and many others are stranded without decent football to play.

Seeing the first BG: Dark Alliance game on there wouldn’t be half bad either… Seeing as it outsold the DAII (which was one of the first games to be BC) by about 2:1.

35. Brizzy says:

JET SET RADIO FUTURE!?!?!?!? I want to play soOo unbelievably bad! My soul yearns!!! PLZ plz PLZ!?1?! ^_^ !!!1!11!!!one!

36. pepbizmo says:

Continue the great work guys and dolls, it’s hard enough making all those games BC, i love it that you made links2004 BC…ignore all the bad comments…i have faith in you.

37. NZ player says:

Can you establish the update game of Shenmue2 ?

38. Dave says:

What about Mortal Kombat: Shaolin Monks?  I’m glad Deception is on the list, but let’s not overlook SM.  ^_^

39. Cm8000 says:

Yo does anyone know whats up with the link for the backwards compatibility update? Every time I try to download the files from microsoft it says "This page cannot be displayed"

40. Mr ? says:

Jet Set Radio Future NOW! Getting up sucks as a graffiti game, because you don’t have the ability to make your own tags and such.

41. JW says:

How about Mechwarrior and Mechwarrior 2?  They were big titles on the original and still not playable on the 360…

42. John Death 117 says:

I’ve been waiting since i got my 360 to once again play Conker, but MS just havent done it yet, it was one of my fave games on the xbox and instead of tht they’re making a load of pants BC, is it too complex to do it or something?! Please Please MS, me and a load of other people want Conker Back Catalogued!

43. zenji9 says:

when is the next batch of updates due? August is a long time ago now!

44. I would dearly dearly love it if you guys could get the Street Fighter Anniversary Collection made BC for 360 as that game was totally awesome for Xbox. Thanks!

45. peter says:

Thnx 4 the update on links 2004 (ratio improved), it was update right? because i had to update it yesterday and i noticed that the ratio was okay now…

46. Kevin says:

I’m curious to know if there could be a list released of games that Microsoft never plans to work on for 360 compatibility.  I have many games that are not compatible, but I am hanging on to them in case that changes.  If I knew a few would never be compatible, I would let them go.

47. Ghost says:

Please for the love of God! : NFL Street (1 or 2 or both); Matrix Path of Neo; MERCENARIES; NFL2k5; and the remaining Prince of Persia Games that are not on the list.

Thanks!

48. Edgar Solis says:

PLEASE MAKE "CONKER’s LIVE AND RELOADED" COMPATIBLEEEEEEEE!!!

49. Aaron says:

ESPN NFL 2K5 needs to be added to the list.

50. Shaun says:

You guys have done well, and its good to see quality games up there like Silent Hill 4 and MK Deception. With time and effort willing, would love to see Chronicles of Riddick, Soul Caliber 2, and SF Anniversary find their way to the BC library. Keep up the good work and hope everyone there had a good turkey holiday!

51. hbeltrane says:

I’d be nice to see exclusive XBOX games such as Gotham, MechAssault and Rallisport Series.

52. speedingbullet says:

ever since Ive gotten my 360 back in January, Ive been waiting for one game for you guys to BC-ulize, and that game is…..

JETSETRADIOFUTUUUUURRREE!!!!

but was your group discontinued or something? I’m kind of worried since you haven’t updated the BC list in a long time….

53. Matt says:

Yes Shenmue 2 should be put on this list by christmas.. Because I Love that game.

54. Milton says:

Mortal Kombat ARMAGEDDON! PLEEEEEAASE!!! For the love of all that is sane!

55. re: New Backwards Compatibility Update (Version 1.5) says:

Nice updates.

I totally agree with the comments saying that Soul Calibur II should be on the list!!!(after all, ’tis among the" best of platinum" on XBOX…)

56. Jeff says:

Hope that Soul Calibur II will make the list soon.

57. Shaun says:

I’de really appreciate if some of these would make the BC list!!!:

From Russia With Love -007

True Crime New York City

Oddworld Stranger’s Wrath

Gun

Dead or Alive 1 &2 Ultimate

58. Craig says:

Any news on when the next(post august 2006) update for these will be??  Just bought serious sam 2 and Doom 3 Resurrection of Evil.

59. Chris says:

Hey there,

My fav game is Soul Calibur 2, could we please have an update for this game?!!…

60. fgambit says:

You know its funny. The PS2’s backword compatibility is flawless while we have to wait for them to get off there butts fulfill our requests. I want Conker and Marvel Alliance:Rise of the Imperfects. It will probrably take them tilll December of 2008 to do it. So sad >_<

61. Jonathan says:

I really want to see AREA 51, on the next update. I have been disappointed that its been left off so far.

Is there going to be another update soon?

62. diggymau says:

Okay with the next update they should make all the good games everyone likes instead of half good pleasing some people and rest no one knows; Should be on list:

Soul calibur 2 (everyone seems to want it)

munchs oddysee (i want it, i bought copy off eBay and now doesnt work)

conkers (ME WANTY!!!!)

and also Jetsetradiofuture coz that was one of the original titles on xbox that i woulda buyed.

and wtf make em compatible soon, do this and people wil lforget the bad stuff thats happened like all the company takeovers.

63. jonny says:

well i change my last one coz no1 really cares bout takeovers but they will be happy bout this and if any bda titles seem to pop up some will be like "omfg that suxzorz microsoft sux coz of this now" and then some1 will remember the BC list with all the games i posted on it and be "dood microsoft are trying, remember BC update 1.6 with the great titles?"

64. Acer says:

The game that do work, work great, but I have to say this is pretty slow progress. They realy should have invested more resoures into getting more game compatable. Right now the whole "backwards compatable" sales point is pretty much fraudulant. I bought thinking it was going to be much better than this and made the mistake of trading in my xbox. MS screws me again! Thanks!

You really got to wonder who picks these games they port over. Many are just so crappy that it is hard to believe anyone owns them, let alone plays them. Meanwhile dozen of good xbox games arent ported. Did some 40 year old guy who knows nothing about games prioritize the list?

65. centar says:

i agree with the area 51 comment

66. Could you add ESPN NFL 2K5 to the list please o please o please?!?!

Or, if you’ve already started on the emulation for this, how far along is it going?

If it isnt, then why isnt it being worked on?

ESPN NFL 2K5

ESPN NFL 2K5

ESPN NFL 2K5

ESPN NFL 2K5

ESPN NFL 2K5

ESPN NFL 2K5

ESPN NFL 2K5

Thanks!

67. SharkMeNow says:

Hey XBOX Team, just a couple of requests for the next backwards compatability update

Street Fighter Anniversary Collection

SNK VS Capcom 2 EO

Samurai Showdown V

Seriously, the original XBOX was the best system for 2D Fighters and none of them are supported on 360 right now, so throw us a bone, will ya?

68. Moosecannon says:

Please…for the love of god…ADD 2K5…

Do us all a favour…Madden 360 is complete torture.

69. RYU says:

I just wanna see street fighter aniversary collection thats it and any 2d fighting game like guilty gear

70. José Luis Baro says:

Please… include The Matrix: Path of Neo in the next UPDATE… I love thata game soo much.. although is full of bugs…. I´d really apreciate it… ahhh and with widescreen support, like the PS2 version!!!!

71. Mike says:

What sucks is that they don’t make Nascar games for the 360 yet and I can’t find a site to download any patches to make Nascar 2006 work even though they told me when I bought it that I could do this.   Any ideas out there – It’s the only game I really care about playing right now.

Oh, I can’t connect my x-box to the internet so if you know of a site and it can be downloaded to a disk so I can install it on the harddrive it would be very helpful

72. Cheesey Puff Jr. says:

and star wars republic commando

73. zuezlll says:

That’s a good amount of games.   but NFL 2K5 should be on the next one…   There is going to be a next one, right?

74. Spencer Sims says:

PLEASE PUT NFL STREET 1 AND 2 AND PLEASE MAKE MADDEN 2007 update on marketplace with Co-op. WOULD INCREASE GAME SALES EA/ MICROSOFT!!!

75. Dave says:

Mercenaries: Playground of Destruction

76. billys says:

Hello! I am Billy Johnson Nice design. Enjoy! Good site! OK. 0n79p7k .

77. Steve says:

Beyond good and evil

Mercenaries

Area 51

Project Snowblind

Full Spectrum Warrior

Urban Chaos Riot Response

PLEASE! and then ill be happy.. got about 15 more games that im not as bothered about

78. Alex says:

I’m really sorry guys, no matter how many games you make compatible, there will always be games that people want to play on their 360 because (like in my case) their original 3 X-Box’s all have start up and spontaneous rebooting problems.

And still, it seems like you give the crap games high priority, and fail to make the good games work (properly), like Outrun, Shenmue, and indeed JSRF.

How hard can it be?

79. Blake Nixon says:

Please…Soul Calibur II and Jet Set Radio Future… these were instant cult classics on the XBox. Anything you could do to make them compatible would be great….

80. Travis says:

HELLO!! I still don’t see MVP 05 on this list. Yes you guys a doing a good job but I would just like to see Mvp on that list as well. It happens to be my favorite game. I just miss playing it since I got my 360.

81. Silas says:

The only reason I havn’t bought an Xbox360 is because Jet Set Radio Future isn’t backwards compatible. The moment it is you’ll have my money.

SO GET ON IT!

82. Jeff Lane says:

It would be nice to see some some old favs like Street Fighter Anniversary and Marvel vs Capcom 2 on the BC list and also Soulcalibur 2 because lets face it, being limited to the Dead or Alive series pretty much sucks.

83. wozzer says:

No support for metal solid gear and no plans to add a new one.  Hmmm I will not be purchasing MS hardware in future.

84. meesterbrian says:

another vote for ESPN 2K5

i refuse to upgrade to the 360 until an NFL sanctioned game from the 2K team is available.

85. Darius says:

I agree with Jeff Lane, the only reason I feel they arent making Streetfighter b/c is that it would hinder sales of Streetfighter 2 HF on LIve Arcade.   I believe in about 6 months they will add it to the  listing, once the demand for the Live Arcade Version has run thin.   Or they will shaft us even more by putting the next version straight on Live Arcade since MS apparently have increased the arcade game size from 50 mb to 125mb, which is enough for maybe an Alpha or Streetifhgt 3 version.  If this does happen tho, dont expect them to make Anniversary Collection B/C anytime soon.

86. warriors fan says:

what about the game THE WARRIORS.

87. Michael Bird says:

Please add Test Drive: 4×4 offroad

88. Apocolyps says:

I would love to see Jet Set Radio Future on the next update, and Silent Hill 2: Restless Dreams, would be great aswell

Hope the next update is coming soon, because i want to enjoy these games again.

89. Major Tom says:

Should Be Back Online In Next 5 Hours.

MT

90. marcus says:

can u actually download backward compatibility from this website

91. XBoxOMega says:

NOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!, GOD DAMN YOU TEAM XBOX!.  YOU SAID TO ME IN THE EMAIL YOU SAID YOU’D BE WORKING ON ”PHANTOM DUST”  AND THAT WAS OVER A YEAR AGO.   I HATE YOU BASTARDS!!!!!.

92. Friedrich says:

These games is NEEDED

Brothers in Arms : Road To Hill 30

Timesplitters 3 : Future Perfect

Project Gotham Racing 2

Kingdom Under Fire : Heroes

These are a MUST have , only reson why i still keep my xbox is so i can play these games , but i also like to thank you for adding Mercenaries recentlly Good Job! now add these games and i will be thankfull!

93. Sam Kasko says:

We need more 2d fighters on the xbox 3-sizzle.

Guilty Gear, Street Fighter Ann., Samurai Shodown would be grand. MVC 2 is a pretty rare game and I doubt you would be down to BC that, but it would still tickle my glands.

94. Sam Kasko says:

We need more 2d fighters on the xbox 3-sizzle.

Guilty Gear, Street Fighter Ann., Samurai Shodown, SVC Chaos would be grand. MVC 2 is a pretty rare game and I doubt you would be down to BC that, but it would still tickle my glands.

I’m also hoping you guys consider the Fist of the North Star 2d fighter, it’s gunna be a hit in Yapan.

95. XBOX LOVER says:

It really does upset me that Rise of the Imperfects is not ready yet.  How long was 360 in production before rollout?  I find it hard to believe that this frustration level was not anticipated and corrective measures were not put in place early.  Talk about poor planning.

96. third steak says:

good list so far but im lookin and wonderin why the hell operation flashpoint elite is not backwards compatible its soooooooooooooo good ask anyone who has played it that should definetly be one of the title that gets bacwards compatible it deserves its an awesome game

OPERATION FLASHPOINT ELITE FOR BACKWARD COMPALITY