Wriju's BLOG

.NET, Cloud and everything

Orcas March 2007 CTP Error: Unable to find the requested .Net Framework Data Provider. It may not be installed.

 


If you have installed Orcas March 2007 CTP and trying to play with SQL Server 2005 Express database using the IDE feature. You might meet with an error mentioning “Unable to find the requested .Net Framework Data Provider.  It may not be installed.” while trying the below mentioned steps


 


In Server Explorer, Add New Connection – > Choose SQL Server 2 – > Provide the local database server information -> (drop down will not be refreshed or if you forcefully type the database name in the text box) and hit OK button. The above mentioned error will block you to go ahead.


 


I did install Orcas in fresh machine and then installed VS 2005 there. I think that was the issue. But the workaround is little tricky here,


 


Steps to follow:


 


Go to the folder C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\CONFIG


Select the Machine.config and then find the tag <DbProviderFactories> under <system.data>.Then next step is to hide all the provider entries which has either Version=3.5.0.0 or Version=9.0.242.0.


 


Following are the entries in my machine


<DbProviderFactories>


      <add name=Odbc Data Provider invariant=System.Data.Odbc description=.Net Framework Data Provider for Odbc type=System.Data.Odbc.OdbcFactory, System.Data, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089 />


 


      <add name=OleDb Data Provider invariant=System.Data.OleDb description=.Net Framework Data Provider for OleDb type=System.Data.OleDb.OleDbFactory, System.Data, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089 />


 


      <add name=OracleClient Data Provider invariant=System.Data.OracleClient description=.Net Framework Data Provider for Oracle type=System.Data.OracleClient.OracleClientFactory, System.Data.OracleClient, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089 />


 


      <add name=SqlClient Data Provider invariant=System.Data.SqlClient description=.Net Framework Data Provider for SqlServer type=System.Data.SqlClient.SqlClientFactory, System.Data, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089 />


 


      <!–<add name=”SQL Server Compact Edition Data Provider” invariant=”System.Data.SqlServerCe” description=”.NET Framework Data Provider for Microsoft SQL Server Compact Edition” type=”System.Data.SqlServerCe.SqlCeProviderFactory, System.Data.SqlServerCe, Version=3.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=89845dcd8080cc91″ />


 


      <add name=”SQL Server Compact Edition Client Data Provider” invariant=”Microsoft.SqlServerCe.Client” description=”.NET Framework Data Provider for Microsoft SQL Server Compact Edition Client” type=”Microsoft.SqlServerCe.Client.SqlCeClientFactory, Microsoft.SqlServerCe.Client, Version=3.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=89845dcd8080cc91″ />


      <add name=”SQL Server CE Data Provider” invariant=”Microsoft.SqlServerCe.Client” description=”.NET Framework Data Provider for Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Mobile Edition” type=”Microsoft.SqlServerCe.Client.SqlCeClientFactory, Microsoft.SqlServerCe.Client, Version=9.0.242.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=89845dcd8080cc91″ />–>


 


    </DbProviderFactories>


 


Then you are ready to work. Everything else will work fine.


 


Thanks to the entry from where I got the clue to the solution. You could find the bug entry at connect.


 


Namoskar!!!