The WPF Designer team has publicly released a Rollup Hotfix (KB958017) for the WPF Designer in Visual Studio 2008 SP1. This contains a number of important fixes (see below).
If you already have the latest version of the Silverlight Tools for Visual Studio 2008 SP1, you DO NOT need and should NOT install this hotfix. All of the fixes in the Hotfix package are already included in Silverlight Tools for Visual Studio 2008 SP1.
If you are encountering the issues described below with the Visual Studio 2008 SP1 WPF Designer (“Cider”), please download and install the Hotfix.
Issues resolved by this Hotfix:
• When a resource in an external resource dictionary is updated, Visual Studio 2008 crashes.
• WPF Designer cannot load read-only attached properties, such as the VisualStateManager.VisualStateGroups property.
• If some data is bound locally, and then the data binding is cleared, WPF designer reports an error message 'System.Windows.Data.Binding' is not a valid value for property
• WPF Designer fails to load in VS.NET 2008 SP1 (RTM) if the startup project is set to a Win32 project
• When you set and then delete the Source property of a WPF WebBrowser control, Visual Studio crashes.
• When you move a control which is using the MultiTrigger class or the DataTrigger class in the Style class, WPF Designer may throw an InvalidCastException exception.
Where to get the fix
The KB hotfix has been published on Connect and Code Gallery. The corresponding KB article will be published very shortly.
• Code Gallery: http://code.msdn.microsoft.com/KB958017
The fix applies to Visual Studio 2008 Service Pack 1 installations only.