Windows SDK v7.1 with Visual Studio 2010 Service Pack 1 – Potential issue with x64/IA64 Visual C++ Compilers

We’ve identified an issue for users of the Microsoft Windows SDK for Windows 7 and .NET Framework 4 (Windows SDK v7.1). If you have downloaded and installed the stand-alone Windows SDK v7.1 and you are using the x64 or IA64 compilers that were included in that download, you may find that these compilers and the associated Visual C++ library files removed. The impact may be as indicated below:

• If Visual Studio 2010 Professional is installed, then the IA64 compiler and Visual C++ libraries are removed.
  • If Visual Studio 2010 Express (any edition) is installed, then the x64 and IA64 compilers and Visual C++ libraries are removed.
  • Visual Studio 2010 Premium and Visual Studio 2010 Ultimate are unaffected.

Please see this article for more information about the issue, and how to restore the SDK compilers to a working state.

We recommend that users of the Windows SDK do not install Visual Studio 2010 Service Pack 1 at this time, since there is no workaround for this issue. We are currently working on an update to fix this issue and will post more information when it becomes available.

1. Maxime C. says:

Thank you for the notification.

I will waiting your fix.

2. VCEnthusiast says:

Hope VS vNext decouple the compiler and switch to full use of Windows SDK, so this type of issue can be avoided 🙁

Anyway, thank you for the forefront warning 🙂

3. Fulvio Esposito says:

What happen if I install Windows SDK after apgrading Visual Studio Express 2010 to SP1?

4. pcunite says:

I quit installing the SDK years ago and instead just copy over the directory structure.

5. @Fulvio:  You can install the Windows SDK after installing Visual Studio 2010 SP1, but the compilers are blocked from being installed.  In order to install the compilers from the SDK, uninstall Visual Studio 2010 SP1 first.  The details are in the Visual Studio 2010 SP1 readme:

6. adentum says:

Since Visual Studio 2010 Ultimate is not affected, can I go ahead with the sp1 install? I use the ultimate edition

7. @adentum: Yes, using the Windows SDK v7.1 with VS 2010 Ultimate + SP1 does not remove the compilers, so you should not run into this issue.

8. Chriso says:

Whats about publishing a corresponding Windows SDK (maybe Windows SDK 7.2)?

9. Our current plan is to provide an update package that addresses the issue with Visual Studio 2010 SP1 and the Windows SDK rather than re-releasing the complete SDK. Full releases of the SDK are aligned with the releases of the underlying platform and this will be the case for the next major SDK release.

10. TM says:

And when is the SDK update planned? I'd like to use VS2010 SP1 but since I'd run into this isuue I still wait…

11. Mr Ziggy says:

Well, the OS did just have a release, Win7SP1, so the corresponding SDK Update should just be waiting on this fix to be released. The question is what's the target release date?

12. R says:

Guys, seriously, it's been three weeks after VS2010 SP1 has been out. When are you planning to issue an update for Windows SDK? We'd like to get the fixes made to VS210 in SP1, and we can't, due to this stupid install-time problem…

13. Me too says:

I'd be interested in an ETA as well..

14. Update says:…/details.aspx

This update fixes the SP1 installer bug.

15. TM says:

Seems this update is deleted…. I can see the update in the google cache, but it is gone. Also KB2519277 is gone… strange.

16. R says:

The link you posted does not work.

17. Eduard says:

I still have the file on my PC, but I'm not so sure anymore if I should apply it.

18. Eduard says:

The link is live again, and the file is the same.…/details.aspx

19. LG says:

Why does it mention Windows SDK v7.2 in the releases notes for SDK v7.1 ?

20. Hong says:

If I have installed the Windows SDK 7.1, and I want to install visual studio 2010 SP1 ,what will happen?

I tried ,and the result shows that the SP1 installed failed, it seems that I have no some files.

21. @LG – that is a typo, it should say Windows SDK v7.1.  Sorry for the confusion.

@Hong – in order to install Visual Studio 2010 SP1, you need to have some edition of Visual Studio 2010 installed.  Windows SDK v7.1 by itself does not work with Visual Studio 2010 SP1.

22. Greg says:

Error Type:  Microsoft.VisualStudio.Sdk.Setup.MissingPrerequisiteException Error Message:  You must have Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 SP1 installed on your computer before proceeding.

Is this error related to this blog post or a separate bug?  I have MSVS10Express V10.0.40219.1 SP1Rel installed.  How do I get the SDK installed?

23. Fernnando says:

Crazy, I install everthing perfect! But no work was July 2011.