The SDK is compatible with the RTM release of Visual Studio 2005 SP1; including Visual Studio Express Editions. In addition the SDK is shipping the Visual Studio 2008 Beta2 versions of the C++ command line toolset and CRT.
As always, please look over the Release Notes for a description of known issues with the SDK. A few important items of note are the following:
1. This release of the SDK is an ISO-only download. For more tips on handling an ISO, please take a look Copying the contents of ISO files section of the Troubleshooting SDK Download/Setup Problems blog post.
2. To take advantage of new VS 2008 capabilities when building SDK samples please review the Release Notes about what steps are required.
3. The .NET Framework documentation, samples, and tools in this SDK aligns with .NET Framework 3.5 Beta2.
Here’s a quick rundown of what’s new in this SDK:
· The latest set of documentation, samples, and tools for Windows including .NET Framework 3.5 development.
· A new C++ compiler and associated CRT
· This SDK will install side-by-side with Visual Studio 2008 Beta2.
We encourage you to install this SDK on a test machine and let us know what you think.
Barry R. Butterklee
Windows SDK Release PM