For a change of pace…

Instead of asking you what you want to see in the SDK, I’d like to ask folks what they DON’T want in the SDK?  What do you wish we would stop including?  What do you wish we would stop doing?

We’ve been looking at the data from those customers who opted to tell us what they installed.  It looks like ~80% of you install the entire 1.2+ gigabytes of content.  To be fair, that’s ~80% of the less than 1% of all successfull installs of the the SDK who opted to send of data.  But, heh, it’s all the data we’ve got.

Why do you typically install everything?  Do you use everything?  Do you install everything just to make sure you have everything in case you might need it?  Is bandwidth so fast and hard drive space so cheap no one cares how big the SDK is?

Inquiring minds want to know!

Lori Pearce

Windows SDK Team

1. Mike Dunn says:

I install the whole shebang because HD space is plentiful. I certainly don’t _use_ everything, but I like having it available just in case.

2. DavidYoung says:

I install the lot because I might just need it.  Also I find that it’s really good to have it all so to poke around and learn some new parts of the SDK.

3. MSDN Archive says:

Thanks guys.  That’s pretty consistant with what folks have told us in person at conferences.

Anyone care to differ?  Are there times or machines where you wouldn’t install everything?

4. PatriotB says:

If only 1% of successful installs opted to send data, how do you know how many successful installs there were to begin with? Or is something sent back saying "successful install" even if we don’t opt to send data? 🙂

5. anony.muos says:

Can you compile the WPF samples (especially the WPF Picture Viewer, Graphing Calculator and similar Goodies) 🙂

6. MSDN Archive says:

Someone, do you think we should compile the WPF samples and ship them as tools instead of samples, or in addition to samples?  It’s an interesting idea.   Most users I’ve talked to like to play with the sample code to learn the technology, or expand on the code to create their own apps.  They find it easy to compile the samples themselves.  Email me if you’d like to share more details about why you’d like the samples to be shipped already compiled.

7. MSDN Archive says:

I probably erred in my use of language.  The download center tells us about successful downloads (i.e. all bits successfully transfered, download wasn’t aborted by user)–we assume a successful download is a successful install.

Lori Pearce

Windows SDK Team

8. XTab says:

This is really a bit of a side issue but is loosely related to what would be good to have/not have in SDKs.   Because of temporary problems getting large downloads I thought I would try and just pluck out the section of the SDK that contains XAMLPad .   I couldn’t really ifentify which of the sections that would be.

A farily thorough search for a freestanding copy of XAMLPad netted me only one blog link .. and that turned out to be broken.  :-{

So Q1, can you point me to the section in the download choices which contains XAMLPad and Q2/Suggestion, maybe it would be good to have utilities like this available separately for a quick download, in addition to being in the full SDK?