Looking for Something New in a Sample?

Looking for some fresh new Vista samples?  I’m Karin Meier, the new Samples PM on the Windows SDK Team and we have samples for you.  The Windows Vista SDK is live with lots of great ‘new to Vista’ content.

Building on the Platform SDK and .NET Framework SDK v2.0, the Windows SDK is packed with samples targeting bothWin32/Com APIs and .NET Framework 3.0 APIs. Teams throughout Windows and our own developers on the SDK team have contributed samples, including:

·         430 Windows Presentation Foundation samples

·         140 Windows Communication Foundation samples

·         60 Windows Workflow Foundation samples

·         200 New to Vista (Win32/COM-based) samples

·         23 Cross technology samples

Everything you need to know about finding and building samples, and any known issues with samples, is detailed in the Release Notes, so check it out first.  We’ll update the online Release Notes regularly and appreciate any feedback you give us!

Wondering how to find the right sample?  The easiest way to find a particular sample is to navigate in the SDK documentation to Getting Started -> Welcome to the Windows SDK -> Samples and Tutorials for the Windows SDK. This page allows you to navigate to either the new .NET samples or to a listing of the Windows Vista samples (Win32/COM-based). The Windows Vista samples are located in the SDK’s \Samples subdirectory of your hard drive.  Each .NET sample has a page in the documentation where the source code is available to view or download, or they are available in bulk in several .zip files located in the \Samples subdirectory.

Have ideas for improving the sample content or presentation in the Windows SDKs?  I’d love to hear them!  We’re working full-speed ahead now on future releases of the SDK.

1. So if anybody reads any blogs on .NET then ya know 3.0 is out. 3.0 is really nothing more than…

2. KirtiChawla says:

I am trying to run the samples of CNG (Cryptography Next Generation). I am

attaching an error message that i got after building NewHash algorithm, which

registers a custom hash algorithm using provider mechanism. Can anyone in

microsoft help me with resolving this error & possible workaround ?

THANKS

KIRTI

ERROR:::

C:TestNewHashDebug> .NewHashAlg.exe

**** Error 0xc0000035 returned by BCryptRegisterProvider

3. MSDN Archive says:

Hi Kitri,

Thanks for your email and blog comment on the CNG samples. These samples did not ship in the RTM SDK.  I’ve written to the sample owner and will be contacting you as soon as I hear back from him.  Thanks!

Karin Meier, Samples PM, Windows SDK Team

4. cicorias says:

How about a "good" ASP.NET Page Flow framework?

5. MSDN Archive says:

The CNG samples did not ship with the RTM version of the Windows Vista SDK.  The Crypto Team is releasing a separate SDK that includes these samples, along with others.  This SDK will be available from the Microsoft Download site sometime around December 8, 2006.

Karin Meier,

Samples PM, Windows Vista SDK

6. sniles says:

Hi Karin!

I sure hope you can help me.  I’m trying to the (unmodified) SDK sample for thumbnails working and I’m failing.  The sample is in sampleswinuiShellAppShellIntegrationThumbnailProvider.  In frantically searching on the net, I’ve found several other people who’ve had identical results to mine, and nobody who has gotten it working.  My environment is Vista Ultimate Edition (RTM) and Visual Studio 2005.

It registers successfully, but navigating to the "recipies" folder never shows me a thumbnail for the .recipe file.  I inserted trace statements, and I see that it seems to get as far as issuing a QueryInterface for the IThumbnailProvider IID (twice), then a call for a GUID that I can’t find refererence to anywhere: 9B45E435-34A9-4E6B-A2A1-B0ECD284967C … that’s definitely *not* the GUID of the IInitializeWithStream, which is the only other entry in my QITAB aside from IThumbNailProvider.  Bottom line: It’s not calling your CRecipeThumbHandler::Initialize  and it’s not calling your CRecipeThumbHandler::GetThumbnail.

I’ve tried this on my Vista machine and on an XP Pro system. Same results.

I sure hope you can point me in the right direction!!!

Thanks,

Steve

7. You can download the Windows SDK samples for .NET Framework 3.0 in .zip files without installing the

8. sniles says:

Hmmm?  Your comment was cut off, and doesn’t appear to be addressing the issue I was discussing.

9. Are you building apps for Vista yet or messing around with the great selection of new samples in the

10. MSDN Archive says:

sniles, I’m sorry I haven’t responded to your post yet.  I’m waiting for an answer from the Shell Team and will post the answer as soon as I hear.  Please email me directly if you’d like. Thanks!

Karin Meier, Samples PM, Windows SDK Team

11. MSDN Archive says:

Sniles, sorry it took so long to get an answer for you.  Short answer: the sample is not working properly and will be fixed in the next release of the Windows SDK (a beta version of the WinSDK for Longhorn Server should be available in the next few months.

Long answer: the Shell team found a number of bugs in the sample. For example,  the self reg code did not work and some members were not zero inited resulting in crashes. I have fixed a fix for this and can email you the sample if you contact me (click on my name at the top of this article to email). Also, none of the sample .recipe files had the base 64 encoded embedded thumbnail that is needed to work in this model. (updated in sample I will email to you.)

Remember that to register this component you need to run as admin.

The reason this is hard to debug is explorer hosts thumbnail handlers in a separate process for robustness, DllHost.exe. <Shell Team needs to produce guidance on how to debug this case: probably will be some registry settings to make to help developers do this.  Fix coming soon.

When shell extension have a bug the explorer those failures will be trapped in the verclsid.exe process that is used to verify that an extension is safe for explorer to load. When this fails the fact that the handler is bad is cached and it will not be loaded again. To work around this delete this key…

HKEY_CURRENT_USERSoftwareMicrosoftWindowsCurrentVersionShell Extensions

Thanks for your patience while I researched this!

Karin Meier, Samples PM, Windows SDK

12. sniles says:

Awesome!  Thanks mucho, Karin.  I’ll be sure to let you know how this works out.

13. The Windows SDK Team and has samples for you! The Windows Vista SDK is live with lots of great ‘new to