Windows Mobile SDK Samples: Your feedback is important to us!

Howdy.  I own the SDK samples for the Windows Mobile SDK… and I would like to get a feel for what you think of the current SDK samples.

In the past there has been concern that there were not enough samples on the SDK. When we released Windows Mobile 5.0, we had over 100 samples on the SDK. Is that enough? What APIs do you think we are not demonstrating enough? How often do you refer to the samples? What samples have helped you in the past? Do you know how to find the SDK samples?

We are trying to add content that is relevant and that gives you a good example of how to use the different APIs that are available to you. Your feedback is important to us. Any comments are welcome.

Thanks.

Luis E. Cabrera

SDE – Microsoft

1. richardjjs says:

My main problem with SDKs is that which one(s) do you need to download and install

When do you install them

What is needed is a set of instructions on what SDKs are needed

I am using visual Studio 2005 to develop software for the POocketPC 2003

I think I have all the software but it took me 2 months to eventually get it all in the correct order

In answer to you specific question can you give me a list of these examples and what they do

Again my major problem with all the SDKs IS GETTING INFO ON THEM QUICKLY

Once you know about them its relativly easy but its getting info without having to trawl through everything

Keep up the good work

Richard

2. Jake says:

I would love to see samples on sending and reciving raw data using the IR ports.

3. Jing-Hwa Liang says:

I tried the sample code in <PlatformBuilder dir>PUBLICGDIEXSDKSAMPLES (but I don’t remember whether in CODECS or SIMPLE subdir) using eVC4, but it seems like missing a zlip.dll.

I’d like to ask a question about GUI style:

I notices menu in PDA application developed  using MS Pocket PC 2003 SDK was at top, but menu in Smartphone application developed using MS Smartphone 2003 SDK was at bottom.

And I notices that there are no components as "MS Pocket PC" or "MS Smartphone" style in

Platform Builder 5.0 to choose from, I can only choose aygshell.dll.

My question is: Must I use SDKs from MS to build application with GUI style like MS did?

or I can simple choose some components in Platform Builder 5.0 to create a SDK, and  later build menu at top (MS PDA style) or bottom (MS Smartphone style) simply using eVC4 resource editor? (I am using Win32 API, no MFC, so simpler is the best, else I must write a lot of code in my program to achieve this effects)

Thank you very much!

4. Ken Yee says:

Such a silly question 😉

Having good samples is probably why developing software for MS platforms is easier than other platforms…

5. Mike Edwards says:

I tend to find (and not just with MS Samples) that the samples are either (a) too brief, or (b) too complex. If you’re trying to learn this stuff by doing rather than reading, it would be useful to have more "step by step" stuff, which would involve multiple "cuts" of the same sample to show what changes when extra parts are added.

For example (on another platform, not WM) I was trying to implement a settings screen. There is plenty of sample code that, in one program, shows a dozen different ways of implementing a list view, but nothing to show how to take a working program, and go through all the steps required to add the settings screen.

6. LuisCa says:

Jing-Hwa,

I own the Windows Mobile SDK.

I recommend you use the Windows Mobile SDK and not the Platform Builder SDK to write applications that will run on either Windows Mobile Pocket PC or Smartphones.

You can download the Windows Mobile 5.0 SDKs from http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=83A52AF2-F524-4EC5-9155-717CBE5D25ED&displaylang=en and http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=DC6C00CB-738A-4B97-8910-5CD29AB5F8D9&displaylang=en. They work on top of Visual Studio 2005.

The Windows Mobile samples are found in the samples directory located under the installation path. On my computer they installed to

C:Program FilesWindows CE Toolswce500Windows Mobile 5.0 Pocket PC SDKSamples

I hope this helps.

Thanks.

Luis E. Cabrera

7. LuisCa says:

Richard,

You wanted a list of samples and what they do.

You got it!

Check out

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/mobilesdk5/html/mob5oricodesamples.asp .

It contains the list of samples that shipped with Windows Mobile 5.0, and what they demonstrate.

Enjoy.

Luis E. Cabrera

8. Shane Church says:

I will second the request for multiple cuts of the sample as different features are added.  Often the samples are either so simple as to be irrelevant or so complex that a step by step of how to get from the simple to the complex would be nice.

9. Shane Church says:

After reading through the sample list, there are a couple comments I have as well.  More samples using C# or VB.NET would be nice.  You have a number of feature areas that have no .NET samples despite the fact that I know that there are .NET libraries that use those areas (Phone, Comm, DirectX, MAPI).

Also some Today API samples would be nice.  The only Today Screen samples out on MSDN were updated in 2002 and are far from complete.

10. Magne Roald says:

The list of samples covers most of the interesting API’s. However I would like some samples on EDB use. Best practice for optimal speed.

Since you are using EDB for the built in applications i suppose you could have some nice samples on how optimize the use of EDB for best possible performance.

I have made a wrapper class that supports both EDB and CEDB databases, and makes it easy to have common code base for PPC 2003 and WM 5. I can share this if anyone is interested.

11. Jorge says:

Agree with Shane, there should be a push to update the seminar articles, such as the great but old Home Screen article when new SDKs are released.

The organization, at least for .NET developers is not straightforward, and it’s hard to easily find the relevant docs and samples for the .NET CF (is that another team?)

12. Riki says:

The one that pops up in the newsgroups is a better C/EDB sample, the ‘currency’ one isn’t the best for showing how to use C/EDB. other than that i think the native samples are great – with good coverage.

13. Paul says:

More Win32 C++ samples, please.  Unless you’re building some sort of corporate enterprise application, Compact Framework samples are pretty worthless.

If you’re building a game, or a special messaging client, or any software for sale across many platforms besides Smartphone/PocketPC, then you want Win32 samples.

I don’t care about C#, VB.Net, or anything else on the device that isn’t C++.  Managed code is too slow on the device.  However, it is great on a web server, so WinMob client samples in *native code* that hook to web services and other server-based .Net services would be great.

14. vivi says:

I have found a problem in the windows mobie 5.0 SDK, that is in C:Program FilesWindows CE Toolswce500Windows Mobile 5.0 smartphone SDKSamples cppCEcamera.

the problem is that it can not work rightly.

so can you give me some advice?

contact me:  ustbvivi@sohu.com

15. LuisCa says:

I am talking to Vivi offline regarding the CECamera sample. We’ll let you know of any workarounds or solutions once we identify the problem.

-Luis E. Cabrera

16. rmatsu says:

The code sample for the following technical article is very useful.

The only problem (for me) is that it works for WM 2003, but not for WM 5.0. The data that I need is not being populated if I compile against CF 2.0.

17. j p c says:

I was wondering if there were more samples on the mail system.  Like moving the storage of the actual mail to a storage card.  Or adding public folders for replication.  These seem to be the hardest to understand for developers.

BTW would this registry setting work?

To move both the mail and attachments to the storage card?

JPC

18. Balakrishna reddy says:

I want to reinstall the Operating system and all Applications like internet explorer in my

VOQ (sierra) Windows mobile How can I do it.

Pleast suggest me the way

19. Abu Khaleel says:

For me,

I could not find any sample about how to send USSD(lineSendUSSD api).

20. patbateman says:

A sample about using RAS Api in connection with the Connection Managr would be nice.

i still found no way to dial RAS and tell PocketIE or Outlook to use that connection. But you still can do direct socket communication with that connection.

21. Jim Burton says:

I’d like to see an example on how to format a Storage Card on the device — I did find one example with Platform Builder, but it doesn’t want to compile under Visual Studio 5.

ZIt be even nicer to find an example that uses PInvoke under managed code 🙂

22. LuisCa says:

FYI, Vivi has not responded with the issues with the CECamera sample. I tried using it, and I didn’t have any problem using it.

If anyone sees any issues with any of ther other samples please let me know.

Also, thanks for your suggestions for new samples.

Thanks.

Luis E. Cabrera

SDE – Microsoft.

23. Chris says:

I would like to see more VB examples.  I’m not a C# programmer 🙂

24. Greg Ross says:

Could you direct me to where I can find videocap sample ? I’ve installed the SDK’s, looked in the specified location, and …

no sample !

🙁

25. LuisCa says:

Greg,

Ok, there are two samples called CECamera (both managed and native) that use the SHCameraCapture API to capture video.

There is another sample that uses DirectShow called CameraCapture.

I hope this helps.

In my computer the last one is installed to

C:Program FilesWindows CE Toolswce500Windows Mobile 5.0 Pocket PC SDKSamplesCPPWin32Cameracapture.

Can you find the samples now?

I hope this helps.

-Luis.

26. riya raj says:

help me to create and mount databse in SDK 2005.

27. LuisCa says:

Riya,

What kind of database are you interested in?

EDB?

SQL Everywhere?

If you are interested in EDB, I suggest you take a look at http://liebela.net/cedb2edb.doc

(http://blogs.msdn.com/windowsmobile/archive/2005/05/10/416117.aspx)

Inside the document, there is an object that allows you to download the source code for an EDB sample. We hope to add this sample to our next SDK release.

Thanks.

Luis E. Cabrera

SDE- Microsoft.

28. Fahd Alwashmi says:

I need more samples on VB.Net and C#. Since the SDk lakes some important samples on important areas like Telephony, IR, Bluetooth, WiFi coding …etc

Please update the samples folder with much more ….

29. David Webb says:

I would like to see more C# apps that demonstrate using some of the unmanaged libraries from a managed app with PInvokes.  Similar to the GPS CS sample.  I still find it very difficult to get all the managed code set up just right to properly use an unmanaged library to its full extent.

I would also like to see a sample for doing audio capture.

Thanks!

30. David Webb says:

BTW Luis, it was nice to meet you at Tech Ed last month.  (-;  I was never able to write a sample app that demonstrated the magically appearing SIP button – it seems to be unique to my app.

31. ks_chai says:

My company uses a Cingular 2125 phone. I connected the Cingular 2125 phone to the USB Host, and the program in the Cingular phone calls the following code. However, the Cingular phone does not seem to send out any USB data. I check that in the registry HKLMDriversUSBFunctionsDriversDefaultClientDriver = "RNDIS".

Can I use RNDIS as a COM to send data out from the USB port?

#define FILENAME _T("COM5:")

hNewDevice = CreateFile(FILENAME, // pointer to name of the file

GENERIC_READ | GENERIC_WRITE, // access (read-write) mode

0, // share mode

NULL, // pointer to security attributes

OPEN_EXISTING, // how to create

0, // file attributes

NULL); // handle to file with attributes to copy

if ((hNewDevice == NULL) || (hNewDevice == INVALID_HANDLE_VALUE)) {

hNewDevice = NULL;

}

else

{

success = WriteFile(hNewDevice, // handle of file to read

data, // pointer to buffer that receives data

size, // number of bytes to read

&num_bytes, // pointer to number of bytes read

NULL); // pointer to structure for data

}

if (!success)

{

CloseHandle(hNewDevice);

return FALSE;

}

CloseHandle(hNewDevice);

Hope you may help me send my questions to a relevant person, or post this question on a web site.

Thanks,

KS

32. Tom Sage says:

Hi Luis,

I load the SDK, but when I looked for VB samples for the WM5 PPC, all I found in the VB directory was readme.txt.  Here is the directory I looked in:

C:Program FilesWindows CE Toolswce500Windows Mobile 5.0 Pocket PC SDKSamplesVb

Thanks,

Tom

33. LuisCa says:

First of all, I really appreciate everyone’s feedback.

Tom and Fahd: I agree that we are missing VB.Net samples. Even though there are none in the PPC SDK, you will find one in the Smartphone SDK that is called PhoneFinder. The reason we have not written many VB samples is because we have assumed developers that program VB.Net could take a look at some of the C# samples, and get an idea of how to use the Windows Mobile APIs. But that might not be necessarily true. I hope the PhoneFinder sample helps a little, and will make a note of the demand for more VB samples in future releases.

David: Platform Invoking can be tricky using the Compact Framework. I recommend taking a look at http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dv_evtuv/html/etconplatforminvokewrapperexample.asp

If you have a specific platform invoke issue related to the compact framework that you would like showcased that we don’t currently show on the samples, please let us know.

Thanks,

-Luis

34. LuisCa says:

Someone mentioned here that they wanted to learn how to create and mount a database on a Windows Mobile Device. As I mentioned above, the "Porting to EDB document" can be a good start for those of you planing to use EDB.

Using SQL Everywhere (former SQL CE) from native code can be tricky. The SQL team ships a sample as part of their SDK called NorthwindOleDb that is a good start. The article at  http://www.pocketpcdn.com/articles/atl_ole_db.html explains how to adapt ATL OLE DB Consumer templates to simplify the tast of talking to a SQL database on Windows Mobile.

As far as talking to SQL from a managed application, that is much easier and enjoyable ;). We hope to add a sample showing how to do that in future releases of the SDK.

Thanks.

-Luis.

35. rsolo says:

I am just starting out to examine the possibilitiy of creating WM5 apps so please forgive me if this is the wrong forum for my question. I downloaded the development environ and power toys. I started to experiment a bit but I cannot get seem to get ppc_command_shell to work. I think I have followed the instructions explicitly. But when I click on the command icon, nothing happens.

Any ideas or suggestions.

36. Acapulco Rolf says:

Hi Luis,

I’ve been watching the e-how to’s available here

In the video for "creating smartphone application using MVS 2005", Neil Enns references some code snippets that he has pre-built

Where can I download Neil’s code snippets.

There are two referenced in the video:

CameraCaptureDialog

DisplayEmailComposeForm

I’ve managed to find the following snippet from Neil but it’s not the whole story and also it’s also the VB version

Are the C# versions available for download?

Many thanks

37. lazmous says:

There is an application using directshow but nothing about adding a custom directshow filter.

Very hard to collect information to do it yourself.

That’s a pity.

38. Where do you find the complete list of codecs supported by Windows Mobile 5.0 and how to program to them (i.e. samples or API docs)?

39. Joel Green says:

Luis –

Thanks for opening this thread for the samples discussion.

I always find samples valuable, which makes it frustrating when you can’t find one as a reference for a problem you are working on.

Right now I am opening every sample in …Windows Mobile 5.0 Pocket PC SDKSamplesCPPWin32 because I find the folder labels deceptive.  For example – Memwatcher.  It has nothing to do with what the name implies.  It is an example on how to place something on the "today" screen.

Anyway, I am looking for a simple EDB sample – the standard CEDBtoEDB sample (the one I think you published) re-creates the DB at each run.  I am porting an app where the data needs to persist between runs and, for the life of me, I cannot get that to happen – it persists when I compile for CEDB on PPC2003, but not for EDB/5.

40. Joel Green says:

Luis –

I altered the sample for CEDB2EDB to "OPEN_ALWAYS" instead of "CREATE_ALWAYS", and with a few tweaks, it works.  Before placing that as an official SDK sample I’d alter it for OPEN_ALWAYS and give it a listview to display, FWIW.

41. Iain says:

Hi Luis,

Can’t say it enough times – VB samples,VB samples.

Thanks Iain

42. LuisCa says:

Joel,

I am glad you figured out your issue with EDB.

I agree that the tree structure in the samples needs to provide more context as to what the samples showcase… That’s definitely something we should do.

Thanks,

-Luis.

43. Nongmoth says:

A sample that illustrate API hooking technique on WM5 would be nice.

I want to hook some …TextOut functions in gwes.

44. Brendon says:

Hi guys, not sure if its to late, but PLEASE! can we have a ‘Bluetooth Portable Printing’ example in ‘VB.Net’.  I am waring a whole in my keypad trying to locate source code in VB and everyone say ‘3rd Party’, this surely cant be true..

45. Ben says:

The Imaging API seems to have very little coverage in the samples.  There is a (basic) sample covering loading and displaying an image, but nothing covering encoding of an image.

There is a description given here:

This seems to confuse the issue a bit, since I believe operations 2 and 3 are actually part of operation 1.

What I would really like to see is an example of encoding an image from memory to a jpg file, including setting compression levels, and exif tags.  I tried writing code for this for WM5, but it currently raises an exception when I call EndSink (all previous operations are succesful).

I gather such an example already exists as part of the Platform Builder SDK (but I don’t have access to this, so couldn’t confirm).

46. ceprio says:

I found this blog when searching for a sample from the windows mobile sdk. It seem the help files from the sdk are disconnected from the samples. For example, in the bluetooth samples there’s supposed to be a "Virtual COM Port Creation Sample" located in "%_WINCEROOT%PublicCommonSdkSamplesBluetoothComtest". You can find this link in both the SDK and in online documentation -www.msdn.com- and both are dead links on unfindable samples.

The first thing to do may be to clean up the SDK’s help to make shure all help files are available and that the links are valid.

47. LuisCa says:

Ceprio,

This is a documentation bug that needs to be fixed. The bluetooth documentation is referring to a sample that ships with Windows CE. You should be able to download the Windows CE SDK at http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=fa1a3d66-3f61-4ddc-9510-ae450e2318c3&DisplayLang=en

I will open a documentation bug so that we don’t confuse Windows Mobile developers.

Thanks!

-Luis.

48. Michael says:

More VB.NET samples.  Or heck, even more C# so I can translate over.

49. Yinyz says:

Dear Sir,

Where could I get samples espetially for video/audio and windows media player sdk.

I would like to develop an application with interactive video and audio contents on windows mobile. The application has the following features:

1, The platform should be windows mobile type such as WM 5.0 pocket pc and smart phone and Pocket PC 2003 and Smart Phone 2003.

2, It is capable of playing video and audio contents via a programmer defined fancy skin. Common buttons such play/stop/pause and common menus such as file/play list should be available.

3, Interactive video and audio functions should be available. For example, the programmer is capable of setting some bookmark on video and audio contents. When the contents are played to this point, they are pause and ask for user instruction. User may select to goto a website or other multimedia contents as well.

3, Compression of raw sound and video from MIC and camera to windows media files should be available. Moreover, all the staff, including some video and audio contents and interactive functions, should be capable of being packaged and distributed to end-users.

As a beginner of windows mobile developer, I need your instructions. Could you tell me how to realize it? I have some experience of VS2005/C# and SQL 2005.

When I go through MSDN, I have the following questions:

1, Is it capable of realizing all the above features in .net compact framework 2.0 without the aid of eVC and platform invoke?

2, Shall I use windows media player sdk or .net compact framework 2.0? I could not find enough resources on mobile interactive video and audio development on MSDN, could you help me to locate them.

would you please reply to jademobile@126.com

50. LuisCa says:

Yinyz,

The prgram you want to develop is quite complex. I will tell you this much:

1. For that kind of application it would make sense to use the Windows Media Player SDK. It exposes an ATL control that you could use.

2. You will not be able to use the ATL control from C# without P/Invoking.

3. Even with the ATL control, I am not so sure you will be able to do part 3. But you can take a look at

and

Good luck,

-Luis.

51. horaceho says:

More WTL samples, please.

52. Mayank says:

Hi Luis,

Is there anyway that the networking samples could be documented better.For example the <WINCE500>PUBLICCOMMONOAKUTILSNetLog.

As a first time developer to NDIS technologies,I find the sample code very cryptic.Though the code is structured well,little or no documentation is there about how the sample works.Fishing around on msdn/google for information just adds to the confusion.

53. LuisCa says:

Mayank,

I would like to clarify something so that other readers are not confused. You are reffering to the Windows CE OAK [OEM Adaptation Kit (set of files given to OEMs to make their final image out of)]. This is not an SDK sample.

I will pass the feedback to whoever owns the OAK sample though.

Thanks!

-Luis.

54. saju says:

I am developing a directdraw application. The sample provided with the pocket pc sdk does not working for me. The driver look up function FindFirstDevice gives me some cryptic characters and the handle returns 0xffffffff … I use a HP iPAQ with photosmart mobile camera ( which they don’t produce anymore -:( )

Please anyone tell me how to draw on a preview capture window… which is in full screen mode.

55. MikeCal says:

Saju, can you tell us what model iPaq you’re using and what version of the OS it uses?  FindFirstDevice returns a handle to the camera driver, but will only work if the device is using a standard camera driver.  If the built in camera on the device uses a nonstandard driver, you’ll need to talk to HP to get the programming model to use for it.

Mike

56. saju says:

Thanks mike…that was the exact problem I faced. It is not a built in camera but a ‘push in’ type.

57. MikeCal says:

In that case, you’ll definitely need the programming model for the camera.  We didn’t standardize on a camera driver model until phones started having them built in.  Before then, every camera manufacturer did their own thing with their drivers.

We still get pushback from OEMs and IHVs that they don’t want to use some of our standards, and we always try to explain that ISVs like you need them.  But they don’t always agree with us.

Mike

58. saju says:

Now I see the point…

Thank you very much.

59. ali says:

when i use WM5 for PocketPC

happen this error :

Microsoft.WindowsMobile.Forms, Version=1.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35

60. timbar3 says:

I haven’t check above to see if somebody already asked for this, but it would be good to get a sample in the Windows Mobile SDKs on Active Sync service providers. I’m trying to write a service provider for a new application and could do with a managed sample (If possible). Currently I am in the process of downloading the Standard Windows CE 5.0 sdk which I believe has a suitable C++ sample, but downloading 112Mb of stuff for one sample is a bit of a pain.

61. greenhorn says:

Hi ,

I have a specific question for the sample SockApp for windows Mobile 5.0 Smartphone SDK samples. I am not sure if this is the place to post it , please correct me if I am wrong.

I have attempted to build the SocClient in Win32 (debug) configuration and SocSRV in Windows Mobile 5.0 Smartphone SDK (ARM 4I) configuration. I get the following errors:

Could anyone suggest what may be wrong ?

C:Program FilesWindows CE Toolswce500Windows Mobile 5.0 Smartphone SDKincludeARMV4Iwinnt.h(2976) : error C2146: syntax error : missing ‘;’ before identifier ‘ContextRecord’

C:Program FilesWindows CE Toolswce500Windows Mobile 5.0 Smartphone SDKincludeARMV4Iwinnt.h(2976) : error C4430: missing type specifier – int assumed. Note: C++ does not support default-int

C:Program FilesWindows CE Toolswce500Windows Mobile 5.0 Smartphone SDKincludeARMV4Iwinbase.h(1414) : error C2146: syntax error : missing ‘;’ before identifier ‘LPCONTEXT’

C:Program FilesWindows CE Toolswce500Windows Mobile 5.0 Smartphone SDKincludeARMV4Iwinbase.h(1414) : error C4430: missing type specifier – int assumed. Note: C++ does not support default-int

C:Program FilesWindows CE Toolswce500Windows Mobile 5.0 Smartphone SDKincludeARMV4Iwinbase.h(2117) : error C2061: syntax error : identifier ‘LPCONTEXT’

C:Program FilesWindows CE Toolswce500Windows Mobile 5.0 Smartphone SDKincludeARMV4Iwinbase.h(2125) : error C4430: missing type specifier – int assumed. Note: C++ does not support default-int

C:Program FilesWindows CE Toolswce500Windows Mobile 5.0 Smartphone SDKincludeARMV4Iwinbase.h(2125) : error C2143: syntax error : missing ‘,’ before ‘*’

C:Program FilesWindows CE Toolswce500Windows Mobile 5.0 Smartphone SDKincludeARMV4Iexcpt.h(63) : error C2040: ‘PCONTEXT’ : ‘_CONTEXT *’ differs in levels of indirection from ‘int’

C:Program FilesWindows CE Toolswce500Windows Mobile 5.0 Smartphone SDKincludeARMV4Iexcpt.h(66) : error C2378: ‘LPCONTEXT’ : redefinition; symbol cannot be overloaded with a typedef

C:Program FilesWindows CE Toolswce500Windows Mobile 5.0 Smartphone SDKincludeARMV4Iwinbase.h(1414) : see declaration of ‘LPCONTEXT’

62. ricky says:

VB samples plz…….why arn’t there any vb samples

63. Hany says:

I’ve heard that C++/CLI technology is the new way of briding managed code with unmanged code, but I didn’t find any sample on either the PPC 2005 SDK or the msdn samples! Is it even possible to use C++CLI on PPC projects?

64. Do you have any examples using the Windows Media Player mobile ATL control for a smartphone or pocket PC using VB.Net.  I have loked and founf nothing.  I have tried usingn the WMP.dll but on a smartphone it does not closse properly and I can not run video only audio.  Any help is greatly appriciated.

65. Vivek says:

The CECamera sample (managed) has several problems. (1) It will not load into VS2005 Team Edition; so we had to rework the code to make it compile and build the EXE; if you’re interested, I’ll send you the VS2005TE project. (2) Running it on an HP6945 was a mixed bag. (a) The CameraCaptureDialog is way too small; (b) Even if you hit the OK box the dialog box returns DialogResult.CANCEL. In other words, it does not "take" and/or "save" the still picture. Because neither Microsoft not HP provide any useful documentation on the Dialog and camera (respectively) nothing useful can be done with Windows Mobile 5.0 "camera service".

Any help would be much appreciated.

66. Sunny says:

Hello,

I am new to edb and SQL Everywhere.  Does both databases support SQL Queries? and what is the difference between edb and SQL Everywhere?

67. joseiz says:

I have tried code samples CECamera, and CameraCapture for C++.

I can compile and build but I can not execute these programs.

Any advice about what the problem is?

Regards

…Joseluis

68. Jeremy says:

Can we please get some VB samples?  I do not know anything about C, and all of the great samples that I see in C are what I want to use, but I only know VB and not even that well.  This would help me out a lot!  Or even maybe a link to some place that has good VB samples for this Mobile SDK?

Thanks,

69. Miller Chan says:

Any CPP examples to demostrate the Slider bar? The Slider control of Windows Mobile 5 SDK does not work (cannot move its position )…

Thanks

70. Thorsten says:

Hello ,

I hope you can help me with my Problem. I would like to open the Sample (memwatcher) with my Visual Studio but when I try to open I became a error ("Das Projekt besteht ausschlißlich aus Konfigurationen, die Unterstützung für Plattformen erfordert, die auf diesem Computer nicht installiert sind") sorry the error message is in German.

71. LuisCa says:

Thorsten,

It seems like the Windows Mobile 5 SDK was not properly registered. Are you able to create any Windows Mobile 5 projects on your computer?

Thanks,

-Luis

72. Thorsten says:

Hello Luis,

Thanks for your Help. It was the first Project from the C++ Samples that I tray to open. I have installed the SDK from Pocket Pc 2003 (wce420) and from there i could open the Sample in my Visual Studio 2005. But it was able to open the C# Samples from the Windows mobile 5.0 SDK. So i  can’t understand why the Sample from the wce5 was not able to open with my Visual Studio. Sorry for my bad english.

Thanks

Thorsten

73. joseiz says:

I still have no solution for the execution of the samples CECamera and CameraCapture with my SD Camera (SPECTEC) and no support from the customer.

Does anyone tried these examples successfully with any other external camera for a PPC?

Regards

…Joseluis

74. rgalgon says:

Cannnot get CameraCapture to run on a SmartPhone, works fine on PocketPC but I need an example of using DirectShow to capture video on a SmartPhone. When recompiled with the SmartPhone SDK the application runs but hangs and I can’t figure out why.

Any ideas?

75. vaibhav says:

i am unable to run any  of samples in WM 5.0 smaryphone sdk,

it even doesnot show run option

76. mumbaiyaa says:

It would be great to have at least one RIL (Radio Interface Layer) sample. Some information is available only through the RIL interface and there is a lot of conflicting information regarding proper use of RIL.

Please consider this for the next release of the SDK.

Thanks!

77. Lohith says:

Hi

I am writing an application in Windows Mobile 5.0 using Visual Studio 2005.  I am able to execuite the sample programs given in SDK,  in CameraCapture application the preview is not available!!!! can anybody tell me how to get preview in that application, i mean what should i modify to get preview in the same application (because i wanted to use Directshow apart from SHCameraCapture API ).  If anybody knows how to modify or if you have any code snipped to modify the same please send that to me..  my email id is lohith.m@gmail.com

Thanks in advance

Lohith

78. Eric says:

about the Comtest sample app, do we have to understand that this application can NOT work on windows mobile 5 platforms ?

I’ve a BTH module which can only be accessed through SPP and

I’m looking for such example app to create a virtual com port uppon the RFcomm

can anybody help me please ?

regards

Eric

79. Kavitha says:

Hi,

I need C# code to open a mobile phone as a desktop drive to explore the files on the mobile. The mobile phone is not a Windows Device and it is connected to the desktop thru USB. assume there is no BT or IR. Please help me ASAP.

Thanks and Regards,

Kavitha.

80. MIKE says:

Thank you, thank you, thank you… finally samples that are NOT in VB !!!

Keep the C# and C++ samples coming… !!!

I would like to see an example of how to extend / create a swappable screen for the recent call list, outgoing calls and received calls

81. raja says:

Hi,

I would like to get the working sample code for custom filter(windows mobile 5.0). It can be any kind of filter. Can you please let me know from where I can able to download?

Thanks,

Raja

82. Nic Bedford says:

I am trying to get up and running with WM5 SDK for PocketPC, i install the SDK, but when i got to new project, smart device, i still only see pocket pc 2003 for smartphone 2003 🙁

I am running Vista, VS2005 SP 1 + Vista beta bits, can you please tell me if the WM5 SDK for PocketPC is compatable with this configuration

Thanks, Nic

83. Vishal says:

I m trying to work with Directshow, i m able to capture video on file, but i want video in buffer to send over the network.

I tried using Isamplegrabber but i doesn’t work with windows Mobile.

Please help me

vishaljogi@gmail.com

Thanks,

Vishal…

84. Arjun says:

Hi,

I am using the modified Camera Capture sample for capturing the Video from my Win Mobile device. Now my problem is that I want to capture it direct-to-disk using directshow (so that the user can see real-time increase in size of the captured file and should also be abel to preview the file midway in between, while recording is going on). Please let me know how to do that, since I could not find anything on the same.

Thanks in Advance

85. JayJay says:

Hey,

I would like to use a DirectShow application on my PDA with Windows Mobile 5.0.

Is this possible in general?

What do I have to install on my PDA?

The DirectShow programm running on my dektop is not running on my mobile…

Thanx for any help

86. Ronald says:

Hi everyone,

I am a beginner in WM programming.  My project requires me to port my Win32 application into Windows Mobile version.  The application itself is a media player which was developed using DirectShow.  Actually, what are the neccessary adjustments I have to do?  I have searched in Google.com, but nothing made me clear.

This application also contains some DLL file, which is a DMO (DirectX Media Object) release file.  These act as audio effects to the media player.  Is it possible to convert these DLL files to match with WM?  If it is so, what programmes, SDKs, or tools should I install?

I hope somebody can help me…

Thanks,

Ronald

87. John O'Sullivan says:

The CeCamera sample does not load correctly into VS2005 professional edition. It complains of a missing .resx file. If you delete this reference it loads fine.

88. Max says:

Hi!

please help me to finding VB sample to WM!!!!!!!!!

P.S Ex. My english is bad , I am Russian!!!

89. somsom says:

I send video captured from a pc to pocket pc 2003 using wirless connection and i want to display it in the pocket pc 2003 when it is recieved. How can i do this using directshow in c#?

90. kumarlinus4u says:

Hi, I’m in the process of porting a windos mobile client which need Public Key encryption. When I look into the SDK there is no samples related to it. IS there any compatibity issue between openssl and MS Crypto. I like to link these two? where can I get the proper information ablout this. These are the main problems I’m facing.

1. couldn’t able to import the priate key (generated by openssl PEM format) to CSP.

2. I created a .pfx file using this private key and could able to get a handle of the private key.

3. when I tried to decrypt the data(encrypted by openssl)its showing error.

is there any samples or documents related to this?

please help

S. Kumar.

91. Derrick says:

hi.would like to see a program to establish connection between a PDA and a notebook using C#.

92. Roy Yokoyama says:

Hi

I would like to see a SIP (Software-Input Panel) sample for PPC and Smartphone.  I think there is a SIP sample

from the Platform SDK.

Thanks

93. C M Pandian says:

I have been trying to use the Windows Media control into a HTML page using OBJECT and EMBED tag to play a video clip available in my application server. But I couldn’t.

I tried the samples given at the link http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=46BA698A-C00D-4B90-9177-460854F1B57C&displaylang=en

But I am able play a vido providing a link to the video file using ASX entry; Using this method, when I click the URL, the browser will open a Media player and play the video clip that URL is point to. I want to play a video using embeded media control. How is that possible? Is there any code samples available?

Or Any security issues to embed a windows media player into a HTML page? Any document related to this?

Thanks,

Pandian.

94. Vince says:

Louis,

Looking for an app that i can load and excute on my HP pDA that will intercept an inbound sms, apply some business logic and do some processing – write to an external txt file and transform parts of it and write out to COM9 for example. The app with lie dormant and wait for the even to occurr ….

I am trying to also locate the source code for PhoneFinder …. may that will help me …… can you email it to me ? …..

I am not a developer, so if I am asking dumb questions, please accept my apology ….

Vince

95. GianLuca says:

Hi, I would like to develop an application to grab frames from my built-in camera in my smartphone (Windows Mobile 2005 inside). I know I should build a custom Renderer but everything I tried doesn’t work at all. I can’t find an exhaustive help around, so could you help me please ?

GianLuca

96. Joe says:

Hi,

I am looking for the mesh converter to convert a .x to a .md3dm file. The docs say it’s in the VB folder, but no VB files in the SDK? What gives? How can

I get this converter now? Can’t find it on the web when I Google it. Just a few brief references to the VB files.

Thanks

Joe

97. Vinitha says:

Hi,

I am trying to work with Directshow(using Windows mobile5.0, VS2005)

I would like to play a wmv file.I am facing a problem in the RenderFile method which fails.

I hope somebody can help me..

98. Ackee says:

Hi,

I am trying to work with Directshow(using Windows mobile5&6)

I would like to play a wmv file.I am facing a problem in the RenderFile method which fails, too.

The code is a copy of that of MSDN.

Please help me.

99. Morad says:

Hey everybody. I am running the GPS sample on a pda with wm5. but how can i use this sample on a pda with pocket pc 2003? Thanks a lot?

100. Roselin says:

I want the sample coding of this concept

101. Srikrishna says:

Can we have an audio capture examples with any audio encodersm particularly by using DirectShow APIs? If you have can you please share?

102. EdyB says:

Can i have a suggestion on how to do a 2d textures animation with alpha blending?

Apparently the alpha channel is not properly loaded and using the Imaging.h API(which displays ok images using alpha) is not an option, as i get very low performance (under 10 fps for only 2 PNG files displayed!).

Thank you.

103. EdyB says:

I forgot to add that i already tryed the examples found in Windows Mobile 6 SDK directory.

DDex1, DDex2 and DDex3 fail on initialize while testing flipping and backbuffering.

Mosquito returns an "No Overlay Supported" error.

I got these errors on my emulator and on my device too (HTC Kaiser).

104. Hari says:

I have been trying to use the Windows Media control into a HTML page using OBJECT and EMBED tag to play a video clip available in my application server. THe IE mobile page is creating windows media player control but not playing the video. I cross checked the URL and it seems to be fine. Please tell me how can i embed a media player in an HTML page. AN example would help

105. Chris says:

The Installation of the "Windows Mobile 6 Professional SDK Refresh" crashed my system. I’m using a Sierra Wireless HSDPA Network Adapter for UMTS, which seems to be incompatible.

After uninstalling and system restore I was able to work again.

The problem seems to be the Windows SDK creates some virtual COM ports which map to real COM ports from the Sierra Card and then block these. "Unable to create the symbolic link for Deviceporte14"

Is there any solution ?

106. Allerliefste says:

hi guy,

I need to transfer data from pocket pc to pc via bluetooth. As I know, windows mobile 6 doesnt support bluetooth SDK. Does anyone have an idea how can I get it and I also need some examples about bluetooth communication.

thanks in advance

107. JackHenry says:

Hi..

Hi All,

I am developing an application through windows Mobile 5.0. In that application Contains

Invoice details. While I click the Print Button the invoice should be printed via bluetooth.

I am having bluetooth printer also. But I dont know how to invoke the bluetooth printer..

If any of you Know please help me. if u have sample code please send (formsworld@gmail.com).

Eagerly waiting for that..!

Thanks in Advance,

Jack

108. vijrumbhan says:

Hi Everyone,

am developing a mobile application which connects to pc using blue tooth. now my prob is that am not able to identify the inbound port of the mobile that communicates with the pc .

can some one help me ? how to do indentify the inbound port of the mobile in which my application is running

109. Tikky says:

I installed the Windows Mobile 6 Standard SDK for smartphone application development and this is the content of  C:Program FilesWindows Mobile 6 SDKSamplesSmartphonecppWin32:

back

closewindow

CMTime

Currency

HomeScreen

LAP

MailSet

MediaPlayerHomePlugin

MenuDemo

muihello

PhoneIme

poomtasks

SIMMgr

I am missing some of the samples that are listed on msdn website such as the:

sockapp

MSDN reports that this sample should be available for the following SDKs

SDK: Windows Mobile 6 Professional SDK and Windows Mobile 6 Standard SDK

Source:

I have just installed the SDK a week ago so I must have the most current revision. Have some of these samples been revoked?

110. Tikky says:

I recall the question I posted on Monday, June 01, 2009 5:28. I was looking inside the Smartphone directory whereas the code was in the Common directory.