Standalone Emulator

I’ve seen several people ask this question lately so here ya go… It is possible to run the Pocket PC and Smartphone emulators without going through VS.NET.  Assuming you used the default paths to install VS.NET 2003 and the Pocket PC 2003/Smartphone 2003 SDKs, these command lines will do the trick:

Pocket PC 2003:

“C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET 2003\CompactFrameworkSDK\ConnectionManager\Bin\Emulator.exe” /ceimage “c:\Program Files\Windows CE Tools\wce420\POCKET PC 2003\Emulation\PPC_2003_WWE.bin” /video 240x320x16 /ethernet true /skin “c:\Program Files\Windows CE Tools\wce420\POCKET PC 2003\Emulation\Pocket_PC_Emulator_Skin.xml”

Smartphone 2003:

“C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET 2003\CompactFrameworkSDK\ConnectionManager\Bin\Emulator.exe” /ceimage “c:\Program Files\Windows CE Tools\wce420\SMARTPHONE 2003\Emulation\SP_2003_WWE.bin” /video 176x220x16 /ethernet true /skin “c:\Program Files\Windows CE Tools\wce420\SMARTPHONE 2003\Emulation\Smartphone_Emulator_Skin.xml”

Tweaking those to work with other emulator images (e.g., for 2002, 2003 Second Edition, or a localized version) is left as an excercise for the reader :)

[Author: Robert Levy]

1. George Henne says:

It would be nice if it were possible to download just the emulator. Right now, I think it only available as part of an 80meg (or so) download, which makes it unavailable to anyone without broadband.

The OS 5 emulator is available as a standalone download.

2. Anonymous says:

cell phone fan » Starting emulators of Windows Mobile phones – without the whole IDE

3. me says:

"C:Program FilesMicrosoft Visual Studio .NET 2003CompactFrameworkSDKConnectionManagerBinEmulator.exe" /ceimage "c:Program FilesWindows CE Toolswce420SMARTPHONE 2003EmulationSP_2003_WWE.bin" /video 176x220x16 /ethernet true /skin "c:Program FilesWindows CE Toolswce420SMARTPHONE 2003EmulationSmartphone_Emulator_Skin.xml"

4. Josh Bowes says:

Is it possible to use the Windows Mobile 2003 SE emulator without VS.NET 2003?

5. Sudhir Tibrewal says:

I’m able to launch smartphone 2003 emulator by command line, but how to launch 2nd edition smartphone 2003?

6. Roberto. says:

I would like to run the Windows Mobile 2003 SE emulator on PC that does not have Visual Studio.Net

Is it possible? If so what do I need to do.

Thanks.

7. sven says:

I found this one later on while searching on an on an on.. Microsoft® Windows® CE 5.0 Device Emulator

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=a120e012-ca31-4be9-a3bf-b9bf4f64ce72&DisplayLang=en may be it will help other searching for the same

8. Smokin'PC says:

I ran the Pocket PC 2003 bin from Microsoft with the Windows CE 5.0 emulator with this command:

"C:Program FilesWindows CE 5.0 EmulatorEmulator_500.exe" /CEImage "C:Program FilesWindows CE Toolswce420POCKET PC 2003EmulationPPC_2003_WWE.bin" /Video 240x320x16 /Ethernet virtualswitch /memorysize 128

it works… now what you do with it? 😉

9. sups says:

I ran the pocket pc using this command and it worked. thanks

10. Dominick says:

I have download Device Emulator Community Preview, but it does not come with files for mobile 5 OS. Where can i get these files.

Please and Thank you

11. Iven Xu says:

How about VS2005’s Emulator Manager start the Pocket PC 2003(not SE) emulator. And how to bluid for the Pocket PC 2003(not SE)?

12. Joe Kanis says:

Any idea how to get the above emulator to work with Acitve Sync 4.0?

13. Finally! Microsoft has just released a standalone version of the device emulator (smartphone and pocketpc)….

14. Hamish Schembri says:

I am trying to install the Windows CE 5.0 on a clean PC that has only the .NET Framwaork installed and when it comes to install it give me an error.

On the other hand when i try the installation on a PC that has visual studio installed it installs fine.

For the PC with no visual studio do you need to install some additional components?

15. Josh says:

what do you do with the command line?

16. Zhan says:

where to download emulater imgaes of WM6?

it’ll help developers alot…

17. topaz says:

I have loaded both the v1 and v2 emulators and cannot get the shared folder to be writable to my app.  I created a shared folder c:sdcard and granted everyone full control.  Do I need to do anything else?

18. jack says:

hi im a beginner and ive downloaded the windows mobile emulator, vs2005,windows mobile 5.0 pocketpc sdk,virtual network driver and activesync 4.5….however i cant connect my emulator and my hello world code cannot be deployed with an error msg "configuration errors"…pls help me? thanks

19. Emulators have come a long way since for Windows Mobile.  One such, is a game based off such emulation, called Shadow of Legend.  It’s a 2d mmorpg for your mobile device.  if you want more info, you can visit http://www.shadowoflegend.com/  hope you find it helpful!

20. Jamie says:

Can anyone provide a link to the standalone WinMobile emulator?  I am trying to test activesync.

21. Santosh says:

How to deploy any application (java based) to standalone emulators and test?

22. Wincoder says:

Hi,

We have completed our first windows mobile application and we are setting up test environment for testers we have installed device emulator, active sync, virtual pc but we are not finding a way to install the stand alone cellular emulator which comes with sdk6 to install sdk6 we need to install visual studio!!

is there any way we can install cellular emulator without installing sdk6 and visual studio in testers computers? please correct me if our procedure of creating test environment is not correct as i did not find this information any where on Microsoft web portals and forums

Thanks,

win coder

23. Vijay_Visana says:

I have exactly reverse scenario can I run standalone emulator (let us say stand alone 6.1) from visual studio 2008 to debug my app ?