This week’s poll: Development and the emulator

How much of your development/debugging do you do on the emulator?

[Author: Dave Stewart]

1. Terry says:

At least 95% of my development is on the emulator due to the fact I don’t also have a device to connect to my development machine.

2. Chris says:

80-90% on an actual device. I find it easier to have just one place to debug. I can just take it out of the cradle and perform the GPRS connectivity tests, put it back in and I can test connecting via ActiveSync. Magic!

3. Mike Dimmick says:

However slow the connection to the device is, it’s still faster by an order of magnitude than the emulator. Sorry, but there it is.

I’ll only use the emulator if I really don’t have a device available, which can be the case at the beginning of a project, since we often work with either equipment loaned for development, or part of the eventual end-customer order (my employer mostly subcontracts vertical-market software work for VARs and OEMs).

4. Grant says:

There’s enough differences between the various devices, I don’t want to waste time making it work on the emulator.

Also you should restate the question on your survey page, otherwise it’s just confusing.

5. mgama says:

Note, I do mobile development in my spare time… the app I’m thinking of writing isn’t a high priority. Previously I was spending 100% of my time in the emulator since I didn’t have a phone, but then about 2 weeks ago the emulator started giving me grief (wouldn’t run my application anymore even though I hadn’t made any changes since the last time when it worked). The emulator would run a new helloworld app, so I either had to move all my code into a new EVC project, or buy a phone. Yesterday I broke down and bought the phone. I knew I would have to eventually buy one to do some real life testing, so now I’m 100% on the actual phone.

6. 仪表 says:

7. Chris Auld says:

I spend maybe 10% of time in the emulator- usually because I don’t have a device handy.

Generally debug on the device remote controlling the device from my desktop.

Skip to main content