Finding Pocket Outlook Object Model (POOM) documentation

Today I was once again reminded how hard it is to find POOM documentation in MSDN. For those who also have this frustration, here’s the link:

[ Author: Neil Enns ]

1. Chris Durbin says:

I would like to know how to copy an e-mail from the server to several devices without using activesync. I just want to put the e-mail into a file, pass it down to the device when I connect and put the e-mail into outlook. I have an menu option in my program that will startup pocket outlook from my application:

Private Sub mnuReadMail_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles mnuReadMail.Click

Dim si(128) As Byte

Dim pi As New ProcessInfo

CreateProcess("Windowstmail.exe", "", IntPtr.Zero, IntPtr.Zero, 0, 0, IntPtr.Zero, IntPtr.Zero, si, pi)

End Sub

Now I just need to know how to get the mail into the mail folder without using activesync. Our company does not want e-mails being sent back and forth during connection(it is usually long distance or an 800 number. They just want the ability to send down necessary, business related e-mails. Any suggestions???

2. Neil Enns says:

You can use MAPI on the device to write data into the message store. It would be quite a bit of work to replicate the functionality of ActiveSync, however. A better option might be to explore some of the flat-rate data plans that are available now so your corporation doesn’t have to feel limited by 800 number or long distance dial-up. All Smartphones available in the US come with flat-rate data plans.

3. Hi, friends,

I am developer of smartphone, POOM database

can anyone explain how to "Update,Delete" the contacts records in SP, using C++ Win32 API

.Is there any diff between Pocket Pc POOM

& SmartPhone POOM "Icontacts" ?

4. windowsmobile says:

You should be using the POOM API. You can either use the Native POOM API or if you are using Windows Mobile 5.0, you can also use Managed POOM (Microsoft.WindowsMobile.PocketOutlook).

The POOM API should behave the same on both PPC and Smartphone.

There are many POOM samples in the Windows Mobile 5.0 SDK. A list of them is posted at

The following link shows how to delete an item:

Hope this helps!

-Luis E. Cabrera

5. Hi,Luis

Thanks for link,

Regards, sabari

6. J says:

This is a newbie question I know – but can you access POOM info with VB .NET?  Or is this a C++ or C# only thing?  I know you can with embedded C++ or VB from legacy versions (I guess, right?).  I don’t want to have to buy "inthehand."  Thanks in advance,  J

7. LuisCa says:

You can access Microsoft.WindowsMobile.PocketOutlook and any of other managed Windows Mobile assemblies from both VB.Net and C#.

There is a VB sample that ships with the Windows Mobile Smartphone SDK called PhoneFinder that uses Microsoft.WindowsMobile.PocketOutlook.

It is located at C:Program FilesWindows CE Toolswce500Windows Mobile 5.0 Smartphone SDKSamplesVbPhoneFinder on my computer, so you should look for it in a similar location on yours.  Notice that the sample is a smartphone sample, so you need to install the __Smartphone__ SDK.

I hope this helps you.

Luis Eduardo Cabrera

SDE – Microsoft.

8. shimaro says:

Hello, my dear friends.

I am new in winmobile development but have only 2 (maybe    noob questions).

Can i with help of POOM do and (if yes) how:

1) create group of contacts? maybe just logical, for my app only

2) add my own field to contact information (what type?)? for example, favourite film or girlfriend’s photo.

Will wait for ant answer, thanks.

9. int75 says:

I have been looking for how to add a menuitem to pocket outlook using C# for the longest time, there are articles only for C++, are there anyway I can do achieve the same thing using C#?

10. Deepak says:

Hi All,

I am developing an application wherein I need to access the Outlook, not on Windows Mobile Platform, but on Windows XP. I am unable to find POOM like API interface for Win32 applications. I know there is one Outlook Api reference out there, but it does no good to me as i need to access the Outlook Calendar and there’s nothing for that in the API reference. Furthermore Outlook Api reference is only for Outlook 2003 and not for any previous or future versions.

Any help would be really appreciated.

Thanks in advance.