Windows Installer 4.5 versions

As you all may already know the final release of the Windows Installer 4.5 Redistributable and SDK are now available.

The current version of Windows Installer is in the form; major.minor.build.update. We have received a few questions regarding the differences in the “build” and “update” fields of the version of Windows Installer 4.5 installed across different supported Windows Operating Systems . I will try to explain what these differences are and why they are expected.

The Windows Installer 4.5 redistributable can install on the following Windows Operating Systems:

Target Operating System

Windows Installer 4.5 version

Windows Vista RTM

4.5.6000.20817

Windows Vista SP1, Windows Server 2008

4.5.6001.22162

Windows XP SP2, Windows XP SP3, Windows Server 2003 SP1, Windows Server 2003 SP2

4.5.6001.22159

Windows Vista RTM build number is 6000, while Windows Vista SP1 and Windows Server 2008 RTM are build number 6001. Hence, to comply with the different OS build numbers and applicability logic on Vista RTM and Vista SP1/Server 2008 operating systems, the Windows Installer binaries are built from the Vista RTM and Vista SP1 servicing branches respectively.

The “update” field is based on the OS revision number.  Since the redistributable packages to install Window Installer 4.5 on the different target operating systems are built from different Windows servicing branches, the revision number is different for each.

However, the different versions have no effect on the functionality provided by Windows Installer 4.5.

[Author: Zainab Hakim]
This posting is provided “AS IS” with no warranties, and confers no rights. Use of included script samples are subject to the terms specified at http://www.microsoft.com/info/cpyright.htm.

1. Ramji says:

Hi,

During Un-Installation of any Exe on Vista with UAC on,it displays a prompt saying "Unknown Publisher".

When is this thing going to be fixed.

Is there a KB article Which i can refer to?

2. Windows Installer Team says:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929467/en-us is the KB article you are looking for. This has not been addressed in Vista SP1 or in Windows Installer 4.5.

3. mark says:

I installed this

Windows6.0-KB942288-v2-x86.msu

on vista 32 bit home edition

but I am still getting error

"this installation package could not be opened verify that the package exists and that you can acces it…"

when I try to install things like quicktime and google earth

4. HolgerG says:

Can a Setup use 4.5 features (like transaction processing) in place until the reboot since MSI 4.5 redist installation requires a reboot?

5. Tyler says:

Hey Holger — Deferred reboot is supported on Windows XP and Server 2003, but not for Windows Vista and Server 2008 systems.

6. HolgerG says:

>>> Deferred reboot is supported on Windows XP and Server 2003, but not for Windows Vista and Server 2008 systems

Thanks Tyler, but does that mean that transaction processing can be used in place until the reboot? Cause it does not work for me.

7. Balu says:

if i use Windows installer 4.5, does my MSI supports fourth field in the product version

8. Balu says:

9. giza says:

hi i dont now how to install windows installer 3.1

10. binl says:

Just to confirm, since there are different redist installer for different OS, each application installer has to package all redist installers, detect the target OS and launch the OS specific redist installer?  Why can’t there be a single redist installer that applies to all OS?

11. WHY WON’T MY COMPUTER VALIDATE CODE———–   -746GF-GX947-QMVHV-63JPJ-28G4F—CODE ON COMPUTER BOTTOM SO THE LABEL IS WORN. THIS IS AS GOOD  I’M REALLY ANGRY–THIS IS A 2,OOO DOLLAR MACHINE IT NEVER FAILED TO ID MY CODE BEFORE. I ALSO LIKE TO KNOW WHERE MY CONTROL PANEL WENT. ALL I GET IS A BLANK BOX. I EXPECT BETTER THAN THIS FROM MICROSOFT.I WILL AWAIT WHAT YOU HAVE TO OFFER AS A FIX. WESLEY A. WARREN PhD.

12. kvbk says:

I want to use the fourth field in the Product version of MSI. Whether the Windows installer considers the fourth field or not?

13. Bidyut1234 says:

In one of our test setup we are installing our

application developed using VS2005 along with the VS2005 redistributables. The machine have

dual boot system with Win2000 in d: and Win2003 in c:. The installation fails. Without

the redistributables in the installer the installation proceeds smoothy.However for VS2005 developed application we need to install the redistributables.

14. GB Dub says:

Hi im running Vista home premium 32 bit my current installer (faulty) is Windows ® Installer. V 4.5.6001.22162 .  when i try to install a fresh version the error message says it is not the right one for my system, i am sure i have the right version and platform but it wont agree,what am i doing wrong please help

15. juice says:

Hi

Windows installer 4.5 is it inbuilt for any Operating System

16. GB Dub says:

thanks for replying, i cant install anything as i get error 1719 installer cannot be accesed,the path is missing, i thought installer would realise the missing link and self repair but this has not happened either..

17. GB Dub says:

i have tried this (Windows6.0-KB942288-v2-x86.msu) still says this update is not for my system. why cant i find the prog and simply reinstall it? any ideas?

18. Last says:

I am still getting the error that says windows installer service could not be accessed even after installing WI4.5. I have tried all the solutions given by Microsoft and none of them worked for me. Is there a way to fix this?

Thx