Windows Installer 4.5 Beta Accepting Nominations

The Windows Installer team is closing in on our Beta release of Windows Installer 4.5 so it’s time to open the Beta program.  As usual, the connect site at is the host for the program.  The Windows Installer 4.5 specific subsite is at

We’re opening nominations ahead of our beta documentation and binary release.  For now, the draft white paper “Agility Trends in Package Software” is posted at  The draft paper frames the problems we’re targeting with the Windows Installer 4.5 release.

UPDATE: as E notes below in the comments below, one has to sign-up for the beta program to get access to the doc.

This paper is part of the information we offered the tools vendors on the Live Meeting call we had last month. I’m still working on improved broad live meeting logistics and a bit more polished demo that I’ll provide later in the beta program.  Your patience is appreciated as the information is gradually staged out of the Windows Installer team.

Thank you for joining our Windows Installer 4.5 beta program.

[Author: Robert Flaming]

This posting is provided “AS IS” with no warranties, and confers no rights. Use of included script samples are subject to the terms specified at

Editors note:

– Investigating broken link to paper.  Edited down to be less conspicous for now.

– Fixed link to paper.  Edited back up to the original text.  Root Cause of Break: first time beta site administrator error in that I didn’t grant permissions correctly.  Thanks for the help (and patience ;^).

– Added note that one needs to sign up for the beta program to get the doc

1. I tried to download that white paper, but I am getting a page not found error?

2. Microsoft is working on two new versions of Windows Installer (MSI): Windows Installer 4.1 MSI 4.1 will

3. davidacoder says:

I also cannot access the white paper. I am part of the connect beta for MSI 4.5.

4. Joe O'Sullivan says:

I have joined the Beta (applied for) but I as other canb not get the white paper.

5. Joe O'Sullivan says:

6. zhakim says:

Thanks for the reports of the download problem.  Investigating now.

7. Hi Robert,

Just signed up for the Beta program. Waiting for the distribution to get started. As may of the previous commenter’s reported the White paper Draft seems offline. Please fix the link.

@Joe: Glad to see you here.. 🙂

8. The white paper download link is working now.

9. I noticed a post on the Windows Installer team blog this morning that I wanted to link to here. There

10. zhakim says:

Link Troubleshooting: I’ve found the source of the problem, fixed it, and confirmed with MSI MVP Stefan Krueger and Flight Simulator Dev Bob Arnson they are now able to download the document.

Thanks for your help and patience,

11. The Windows Installer blog has info on its upcoming 4.5 beta , if you are interested in signing up head

12. Thanks for the update Robert. I’m on the doc now.

Hemanth John Jose

Microsoft MVP – Shell/User

13. E says:

Sorry – I’m still getting an error.

14. zhakim says:

Please try it now.  The connect backend administrators said they had a problem today that was just resolved.

15. Jon says:

Hate to piss on your cornflakes, but it’s still not downloadable from here… would it be possible to stick it elsewhere for the time being – or even post the whole hting as a blog post?

16. E says:

Sorry, still can’t download it. The message is:

Page Not Found

The content that you requested cannot be found or you do not have permission to view it.

If you believe you have reached this page in error, click the Contact Us link at the bottom of the page to report the issue and include this ID in your e-mail: 10afaa7e-773a-4097-a809-7bdeb8876edc

Microsoft Connect welcome page.

I wonder if it is a permissions thing? Do we have to be signed up for the beta program just to view the document?

17. E (Erik) says:

I just answered my own question. After I signed up for the beta, I was able to download the document.

It wasn’t clear to me that the "beta" (draft) paper was also part of the beta program for the installer. You might make that more explicit in the post.

Interesting ideas at first glance, that I want to dive into further. Looks like it was worth the effort.

18. Colin Bowern says:

I am in the process of reinstalling all of the applications after reinstalling my development workstation

19. The download link and the connect link seems working for me. No probs.