Tao of the Windows Installer, Part 1

Ever agreed to something you thought was a quick favour, just to see it balloon into a massive project?

Well, towards the end of last year a customer asked me for a list of “best practices” for the Installer. Being helpful, I agreed to send one and started looking for a list. Now, as the Installer was released last millenium, I assumed that someone would have created such a list by now and my search would be short. How wrong I was.

After much hunting, I couldn’t find any document solely devoted to Installer best practices. Sure, there are recommendations and advice scattered around various sources – from my own experience and that of other Installer users in Microsoft to white papers and the SDK – but nothing dedicated to giving straight advice on what to do and what not to do with the Installer.

Having agreed to provide the list, I had to get one somewhere, so I decided to create my own from the many individual bits and pieces I gathered in my search. This is where things just seemed to take on a life of their own. I had envisioned a short (1-2 page) list, but some months later ended up with a 30+ page document!

Once I had this in reasonable shape, someone pointed out that it would probably be useful to the whole Installer community and not just one customer. So here it is – or at least here is the first part.

I initially looked into publishing the list as a white paper for download from the Microsoft web site. Unfortunately, the process of editing and reviewing white papers can take a while, so I decided to post here on the Installer blog first. Mainly so that the information can be made available quicker, but also just as importantly, so you can give some feedback to help improve the final white paper.

The paper is currently divided into various section, including a brief description of Installer functionality, troubleshooting advice, etc. However, the bulk of it is a series of “rules” (that is, the “best practices”), split into the following subtopics:

This week, I’ll cover the short Fundamentals section, with the other sections following on an approximately weekly schedule. Feel free to point out the good, bad and ugly in the list – your feedback will make sure that the final whitepaper will be as accurate and as useful as possible.

Fundamentals

Rule 1: Learn the Windows Installer Technology
The importance of this rule cannot be overstated. If you only follow one rule, this is the one to choose.

Microsoft Product Support often speak to Installer users who are installing packages which they created with a sophisticated high-level re-packaging tool, without any understanding of how the Installer actually works. While these tools are excellent at what they do and they abstract the user from the details on a day-to-day basis, the lack of Installer knowledge becomes a real problem when the package does not work as expected. Setup authoring is not simply about copying files. The Installer offers extensive functionality and complexity; understand it before you start authoring packages.

Start with this guide, then read the white papers, books, etc mentioned in the Resources section, then follow Rule 2.

Rule 2: Know Your Way Around the Installer SDK
The best resource to help with Rule 1 is the Windows Installer SDK (usually just called “the SDK”). It is the definitive guide to the Installer technology and covers all aspects of creating packages, including detailed descriptions of database tables, properties, custom actions, etc.

The SDK is designed as a reference and so you shouldn’t try to read it from start to finish. However, it does contain many tutorials and specific examples you may want to follow and try out for yourself. In any case, you should make yourself familiar with its contents and use it as your first port of call when you need to know something about the Installer.

Rule 3: Use the “Windows Logo” Program as a Basis For Good Practices
The “Designed for Windows XP” Logo Program is designed to help give users confidence in the software and hardware they buy to work with Windows. The logo ensures that any software conforms to a Microsoft-defined set of criteria that are designed to provide a consistent, high quality software experience. So, even if you do not intend to submit your application to the logo program, you can still use the guidelines to help make your Installer packages better.

Many of the logo requirements for software are covered if you use the Installer as your installation mechanism. Some of these rules are shown below, with more details available on the logo program website.

• Do not attempt to replace files that are protected by Windows File Protection
  • Migrate from earlier versions of Windows
  • Do not overwrite non-proprietary files with older versions
  • Do not require a reboot inappropriately
  • Install to Program Files by default
  • Install any shared files that are not side-by-side to the correct locations
  • Support Add or Remove Programs properly
  • Support “All Users” installs
  • Support Autorun for CDs and DVDs

Rule 4: Always Use the Latest Version of the Installer
Using the latest version of the Installer gives three important benefits:

• Extra features. Version 3.1 is the Installer version at the time of writing. This contains many new and enhanced features over earlier editions. In particular, from version 3.0 of the Installer, patching and patch management was greatly improved.
  • Bug fixes. Using the latest code, and keeping this patched with current updates from Microsoft Update, ensures that you are more secure and will avoid known problems.
  • Support. Microsoft does not support or issue bugfixes for older Installer versions, such as v1.1. Always using the latest version means that Microsoft Product Support will be able to assist with problems and supply updates and patches.

Rule 5: Build Setup Into Your Application Development from the Start
Installation absolutely should not be an afterthought in the development process. Many developers don’t like the idea that “setup” should influence the design of a product, but when using the Installer it is crucial to develop the two in parallel.

Thinking up-front about how an application will be installed makes it easier to take advantage of the idea of “features”, “self-repair”, etc. So, rather than forcing the software into some artificial split or limiting very large applications to a single feature, you will end up with a more user-friendly and resilient install.

Remember that:

• The developer writing the code knows better on what, how and where the configuration data for thier application/module should be
  • It is better to grow the stability and confidence of the product setup along with the confidence in the product itself: a poor product setup will leave lasting bitterness with the user

Rule 6: Get to Know ORCA
ORCA is an MSI package editing tool that ships with the Installer SDK. It has a basic GUI interface but supports advanced editing of Installer Databases. It is possible to create a new package completely with ORCA, but this would be very tedious and error prone; equivalent to writing the Microsoft.com website in Notepad – possible, but not something you’d really want to do.

Where ORCA excels is in letting you quickly view and edit package contents for troubleshooting and testing. This reason alone should be enough reason to become familiar with using ORCA, but it also provides a convenient way to validate your packages – a vital step during package creation and testing.

[Author: Richard Macdonald]

This posting is provided “AS IS” with no warranties, and confers no rights.

1. i_mike++ says:

I think allot of people need to be beat over the head with rule#1 and rule#5.

Despite the fact that MSI has been out since Win2k and that Microsoft has been making a big (justifiable) stink about perils of poor app installation, I encounter very few developers/Architects who see the install process as little more than a glorified xcopy;

or who even know what MSI stands for.

2. Michael says:

"It is possible to create a new package completely with ORCA, but this would be very tedious and error prone; equivalent to writing the Microsoft.com website in Notepad"

well and what is the best practice to create a new package? Isn’t ORCA the only tool the SDK provides for this?

3. Colin Bowern says:

I’ve loved the concept of the Windows Installer technology since the day I saw it.  From my past years at MS though I think there needs to be some time spent spreading the news of how cool it is internally to the product groups.  The Visual Studio folks should really get around to leveraging the stuff that shipped in WI3.x for the Setup Projects!

4. jonks says:

Please reorder – Number 5 should be number 1!

Developers who are not familiar/interested in installer really need to understand the _HUGE_ impact a install experience can have on the perception of their product.

5. Alexandra says:

Hi,

I am having Installer Custom Actions issues on VISTA, might be .NET related.

Unofortunately I cant seem to find any relevant info on the web re Vista and MSI Installers, besides the obvious.

Could you please give me some contact/link ?

I am an MSDN subscriber and a part of Microsoft Beta testers, but right now I would just like to approach someone through blog or online support request…

Thank you!!!

Alexandra.

6. Michael, the WiX toolset (http://wix.sourceforge.net) is an alternative to using Orca.  You have the ability to stay very close to the Windows Installer technology without having to worry about every itty-bitty detail (like keeping foreign keys cased correctly).  It is also free like the rest of the Platform SDK.

7. Rik says:

"read the white papers, books, etc mentioned in the Resources section"

Where’s that?

8. Michael says:

thanks, Rob. I know about the WiX toolset (and that some internal Microsoft projects are using it – though i don’t know how big they are). Especially the "Clickthrough" subproject seems promising (but don’t have the time to test how stable it already is).

I were just wondering if the VS2005 MSI Support is really the only easy-to-use tool to created msi packages from Microsoft.

I like the integrated with the build approach from WiX (it should be on the list as a MSI best practice 🙂 ), because VS2005 MSI seems not to scale for projects with about more than 5-10 people.

WiX certainly would.

9. SusanG says:

I’m a long-time install developer who grew up on InstallShield’s InstallScript. Switching to WI was painful. There was no way I could have made the switch without using a tool like InstallShield to create the package. In many ways WI provides a lot of standardization and consistency that I value. In other ways, I’m frustrated by the fact that I seem to be creating dozens of custom actions for most of my installs and that some seemingly simple things aren’t built into WI that ought to be.

I’m looking very much forward to the rest of your doc. Thank you!

10. zhakim says:

“what is the best practice to create a new package”
    Maybe I was being a bit unfair to ORCA with Rule 6.  You definitely can use it to create perfectly acceptable packages.  In fact, if you’ve never used it for this, then I recommend you use ORCA to work through the SDK examples.  Once you’ve done this, think about the amount of typing involved to create those tiny packages that essentially deploy a handful of text files and shortcuts, then consider this scaled up to something like the Office MSI.

As Rob says, WiX is an excellent alternative (and is recommended in a later rule), but those less developer-minded might be better off using one of the excellent GUI-based tools available from 3-rd party vendors – obviously, if you use one of these, you still need to keep Rule 1 in mind.

”Please reorder – Number 5 should be number 1”
    Actually, Rule 1 is the only one that is in order!  As it mentions, I consider it to be vital advice, hence I placed it at the number one spot.  However, the rest of the rules are not ordered according to importance.

Where is the Resources section?
    The resources section will appear at the end of the white paper when released.  I don’t plan on posting it here, but you can find some recommendations here and here.

”I cant seem to find any relevant info on the web re Vista and MSI Installers, besides the obvious”
    Not sure if this is “the obvious”, but you can download the Windows SDK for Vista,  which contains a section on the Installer and may answer your questions.  The documentation can also be found in on MSDN On-line.

”some seemingly simple things aren’t built into WI that ought to be”
    Can you elaborate on this?  Obviously, some things are specific to a particular package, so need some custom code written, but if you feel the Installer lacks a widely-applicable feature, then you can submit a “wish” request via the MsiWish alias.

[Author: Richard Macdonald]
    This posting is provided “AS IS” with no warranties, and confers no rights.
  11. Andy C says:

I don’t think I’ve encountered many installers that can’t manage an "All Users" install (whether the application uses the right data folders is another matter), however packages that actually work in all three deployment scenarios (user/computer assigned & published) is another matter.

12. Jennifer says:

I think you should rename the rules to be "Guidelines until we (Microsoft) decide to change our minds again".

13. Zweitze says:

I disagree with rule 4 (always use the highest version):

1. Older versions support a wider range of platforms, eg. Windows Me and Windows NT.

2. Upgrading system software on a target system may require a reboot, which could be costly for certain customers.

3. Upgrading system software on a target system may break down other applications that were authored poorly.

An example of #3 is MDAC: I once had an app that required MDAC 2.6 or higher. The manager decided to install 2.8. So we did, and dozens of customers complained that their ERP software (present on the same systems) became unreliable after installing our software.

The mentioned ‘pro’ reasons are :

* new features: Only use this reason if you intend to use these features.

* bug fixes/security: This reason is only valid when these fixes have an impact on your software.

* Support: Like older versions, support for WI 3.1 will end sooner or later, probably long before you withdraw your product from the market.

In my opinion, the only true reason for using the latest version is a reduction your testing efforts – you have less versions to test. For everything else, use the lowest version that suits the needs of your product and your customers.

Zweitze.

14. I’ve given up on msiwish myself.  Seriouly, Windows Installer came out with Windows 2000  and 7 years later LockPermissions STILL can’t properly handle ACL’s.   That’s just one example of a time that custom actions need to be written instead of just authoring table data.

15. zhakim says:

“I disagree with rule 4 ”
    You are correct that using older Installer versions does provide a wider range of platforms, but Windows NT 4.0 has left its Extended Support phase and Windows ME is in this phase only until July this year.  So, as the rule states, by sticking to an older version you are likely to have problems getting help if something goes wrong – this could be particularly bad if the issue is a security hole, which won’t be patched on an unsupported platform.

As the number of NT/ME clients decreases with migration to XP or Vista, then targetting older versions also becomes an uneccessary burden for package developers.  Why test and support a platform only used by a tiny fraction of the user base?

“I’ve given up on msiwish myself”
    Unfortunately, not every request can be implemented for a variety of reasons.  For example, a change that would help you may have a negative impact on other users and the developers need to take everyone into account when making changes.

If you feel something is a bug, then definately raise it via the usual support channels.  You can raise Design Change Requests (DCR) this way as well, but as my comment above suggests the bar for accepting these is higher.

In any case don’t give up on providing feedback – I guess that you’ve had a poor experience in the past, but I assure you that Microsoft takes customer feedback very seriously and the only way for you to get the improvements you want is to keep giving feedback.  If we don’t know something is causing customer’s problems we are likely to assume it is ok and concentrate efforts elsewhere.

[Author: Richard Macdonald]
    This posting is provided “AS IS” with no warranties, and confers no rights.

16. Zweitze says:

"Why test and support a platform only used by a tiny fraction of the user base?"

I assume this is not a rhetorical question and you really want to know why.

First, the word "tiny" is subjective. On a product I worked on, 30% of the users were on Windows 98 (+SE)…in the end of 2004.

But more important, some customers are large organizations or government organizations, having certain Service Agreements. They all force the supplier to support the product for 3..5 years after deployment. Such organizations are usually understaffed (or have staff of poor quality) forcing them to take conservative positions on upgrading their systems.

It is my opinion that the assumption "all customers are using bleeding edge technology" is short-sighted. Instead I suggest a customer-oriented rule to determine the right version.

17. zhakim says:

“the assumption ‘all customers are using bleeding edge technology’ is short-sighted”
    You’re right, the real world is never as clear-cut as you’d like and many companies are stuck with very old and outdated technology, for whatever reason.  However, I still feel that I can’t recommend using old and unsupported platforms and tools as a “best practice”.

[Author: Richard Macdonald]
    This posting is provided “AS IS” with no warranties, and confers no rights.
  18. Felix says:

While I agree entirely with your Rule #1, the biggest problem for a developer trying to learn the Windows Installer is "Where do I begin?"

Believe me, I want to understand the installer as much as possible (as I’m sure most developers would), but by just looking at your post for resources you reference a Knowledge Base article and a link on MSDN.  The problem with these 2 links?  They are also pages that contain more references to other resources, newsgroups, blogs, etc.

The most detailed part of the installer we have is the SDK documentation.  But as you pointned out, "The SDK is designed as a reference and so you shouldn’t try to read it from start to finish."

Why can’t there just be one resource that we CAN read from start to finish?

The books & white papers in the Microsoft Patterns & Practices are great.  You can read them from start to finish and have a better understanding about the topic being covered.  A good example of an excellent document is the Team Development with Visual Studio .NET and Visual SourceSafe.

If there were that one book or resource we could go to I’m sure most developers would try to follow your other rules.

19. zhakim says:

“Where do I begin?”
    You make an excellent point.  Installer material is widely dispersed (hence my trouble compiling a best practices list), but one book that may be worth a look for complete beginners is:

The Definitive Guide to Windows Installer

This is slightly out of date now, but should be fine for a beginner to get to grips with the key Installer concepts before switching to the SDK.

[Author: Richard Macdonald]
    This posting is provided “AS IS” with no warranties, and confers no rights.
  20. Felix says:

I know my last post sounded like a rant, but I also wanted to thank you for starting this article.  Your post was one of those "finally, I found it" type of blogs.

Maybe when this is complete it will be the resource to reference? 😉  Good luck with the rest!

21. It’s important that you run ICE validation on your MSIs and MSMs, and that you fix any and all ICE errors, treating warnings subjectively.

22. I recently noticed a series of in-depth articles that have been posted on the Windows Installer team…

23. If you’re following this article, you must be interested in modifying how an MSI produced by a Visual…