How to add a YouTube DataSource in Windows AppStudio

Here are the simple steps to add a YouTube DataSource in Windows AppStudio:

1. Click on   and click on  DataSource.

2. You would see the below screen.

a. Change the YouTube section name if you want.

b. Next, create a new YouTube key.

3. This will take you to a new screen as shown below:

Click on the highlighted section. This will connect your free YouTube developer account with your Windows AppStudio app.

4. This will take you to the Google Developers page. Login with your standard Google user name and password.

5. Click on ‘Create Project’.

6.  Enter a ‘PROJECT NAME’  and ‘PROJECT-ID’ and click on ‘Create’.

7. Now, the YouTube API needs to be switched ON. To do this

a. Click on APIs.

b.  Scroll down the screen till you find ‘YouTube Data API v3’ and click on ‘OFF’ to switch ON the API.

c.  Once it is switched on the API is visible in the ‘Enabled APIs’ section

8. Now we need to pass the credentials to the App. To do this click on ‘Credentials’ and then click on ‘Create New Key’.

9.  Click on ‘Browser key’

10. Click on ‘Create’

11. Copy the API KEY.

12. Paste the API KEY in the Windows AppStudio Section and click on ‘Validate’.  Ensure that there are no additional spaces before or after the Api Key. This is a common issue that can cause errors.

13.  The API key is registered now.

14. You will be able see the key name in Data Configuration.

15. Select the ‘API Keys’ and type in the YouTube channel name.

16. You will be able to see the channel videos in the preview screen.

2.png

1. Christopher says:

So, I've successfully gone through this process and app studio pulls in search results or specific User accounts  into the YouTube content, but for some reason Playlist data remains empty. So, for example, I select YouTube user XYZ123 and they have a playlist of videos called XYZ123-Favorites, I cannot get the Favorites playlist to populate…But I CAN get all of XYZ's channel to populate. I've manually entered the playlist ID. I've also tried searching and finding the playlist, which DOES show a preview on the "Find A Playlist" page, but then fails to load in the app preview or live app. Please advise.

2. Surya Varma Pakalapati says:

It loads only 20 videos out of 66 videos present in my playlist. So can anyone help me out with this problem?

3. ScottStonehouse says:

Same problem here, I want to include more than just the first 20 videos!

4. Md Jewel Miah says:

Nothing is impossibe.Everything is possible.

5. victor says:

o meu fica um cubinho e não consigo colocar a chave api alguen mi ajuda????

6. Raul Miranda Rios says:

Excelente ayuda para agregar vídeos de Youtube por usuario, una búsqueda de la palabra que sea, o una playlist.

7. kavya says:

Same problem here,it displays only 20 videos from my 500 videos,How to get all videos?? plz help trying from 1 week to solve this..i think many users are facing this problem if any one found solution plz share it..plz help…Thank U

8. I.E's Finest says:

Where it belongs

9. E.ELVINCI says:

HI , I WAS NEW TO THIS APP CREATION I WANT TO JUST ASK A QUESTION .YOU ALL GUYS ARE TELLING ONLY 20 VIDEOS ARE DISPLAYING IN THE APP FROM YOUR PLAYLIST DID YOU NOTICE WHEN YOU ENTERED THE APP EVERY TIME IT IS DIDPLAYING THE SAME 20 VIDEOS OR CHANGING RANDOMLY

10. Gautam Kabiraj says:

@E.@LVINCI

The video list get updated as soon as new ones are found on that particular YouTube channel. So yes, it changes.

11. Hi,

Can you please try to edit the app in Visual Studio and change the &count=20 to &count=50?

private const string URL = "api.instagram.com/…/tags{0}/media/recent?client_id={1}&count=50";

private const string URLUserID = "api.instagram.com/…/users{0}/media/recent?client_id={1}&count=50";

Thanks.

12. AboJwad says:

Thank you so much! , But I have trouble finding this sentence

and

I looked for them in every file on Visual studio after I opened my project ! ..

13. Invalid Credentials says:

The API Key "AIzaSyAPeGJWHtRrD9A-MXCWgHI87WwTQsVmIkg" is invalid.

14. prashant says:

Can I add a search option I my YouTube section to search videos on YouTube?

15. S_A_O says:

I did something wrong, when it took me to google developer site it was just a bit different for me, it first had me create project, then I enabled it, videos work ok but, it then had me sign up for the cloud platform at google for free for 60 days then after charges incur, usage charges.  Can you please explain this better, either I did something incorrectly or the google site has changed some since you wrote this "how to"  my videos all work though but the charges has me concerned.

16. S_A_O says:

I had done something wrong, so I went back and fixed it 😉  so please disregard what I said about updating "How To" it was me 😉

17. Mariaspop says:

Thank you a lot for the post, it was very useful for me.Please, check out the new windows app, I tried and I liked a lot http://www.popfax.com/…/popfax-launches-popcompanion-windows-mobile-phones

18. tim99 says:

it still shows only the first 20 videos.

on my desktop i run windows7, so i guess it makes not much sense to download visual studio and try to edit it there. could you change it in app studio, please please 🙂

19. stuart.b says:

This fails on step 7 for me. Perhaps the layout has changed? I can find an 'enable APIs and get credentials like keys', but when clicked it gives the message 'Failed to load' under 'Overview'.

20. Hi Stuart,

This generally does not happen. Can you please try again? And here is a more updated how-to link

appstudio.windows.com/…/howto.

21. Claudia says:

Hi! AppStudio always shows "Invalid api key" in my Instagram credentials and doesn't accept my Youtube api key because it contains dots "." Can anybody help me?

22. Claudia says:

Nevermind. I just solved the issue xD

23. youtube says:

Youtube always saying "Invalid Credentials, Please check it." no matter how accutarly add the key,Any suggestion?

24. Hamza Mir says:

please update this help thread, google changed the whole interface n’d looks, this one’s old

25. Waheed Rafiq says:

Thank you for your instructor , they are a bit outdated otherwise dummy proof

Skip to main content