Last week at the Screenmedia Expo Europe 2010 in London, Intel® and Microsoft announced the commercial availability of their joint platform for Digital Signage media players, and the availability of the Digital Signage Evaluation Kit (DSEK-10). The DSEK is a reference platform that is designed to help digital signage developers quickly prototype and develop digital signage solutions. The DSEK is based on an Intel® Core i5-based reference design and Windows Embedded Standard 7 OS.
The device itself is made up of:
- Intel® Core™ i5 Processor (520-M) with Intel® Active Management Technology
- - 3MB Cache, 2.40 GHz
- - 2 processor cores, 4 software threads
- - Integrated Graphics Engine
- - Hardware Accelerated HD Video Decoder
- - Mobile Intel® QM57 Express Chipset
- 2GB SODIMM DDR3 1333MT/s memory x2 (total of 4GB)
- SATA 2.5” Hard Disk
- IEEE802.11a/b/g/n Intel Wireless PCI Express* Half Mini Card (6200)
- Small form factor (185mm x 125mm x 55mm) with an aluminum chassis and an EPIC based mainboard
- Gigabit Ethernet interface (Intel® 82577 Gigabit Ethernet PHY)
As you can see, it’s quite a bit of power tucked into a small form factor device. What this gives you is the power to drive extremely rich user experiences (like this one) while also delivering a small enough size and high reliability to be practical for Digital Signs.
From the Windows Embedded side, the device comes pre-installed with a Standard 7 OS that simply boots up into an application that talks a bit about the DSEK device. We also include an evaluation copy of the Standard 7 OS toolkit so that you can immediately start building your own OS customized for your digital signage applications.
Some features that Standard 7 brings to the table that are especially helpful for digital signage include:
- Microsoft .NET 3.5, Windows Presentation Framework, and Windows Touch support for building rich user interfaces
- Internet Explorer 8 and Windows Media Player 12 (plus MPEG and H.264 codecs) for delivering internet and video content
- Embedded-enabling features such as Dialog Box Filter and Application Locker for ensuring your digital sign only displays the content you want it to display
The DSEK-10 kit is available for order now from Winmate by visiting this address: http://www.winmate.com.tw/DigitalSignage/DSEK-10.htm
Go forth and build your digital signage solutions on this great hardware from Intel® and OS from the Windows Embedded team!
Technorati Tags: Embedded Standard