Win2D and CoreWindow

We recently added the ability for Win2D to draw into a CoreWindow swapchain.  This allows Win2D to be used standalone, creating C# or C++ applications that do not also require XAML.  The new CoreWindowExample shows how to do this.

There are many things we could do to make CoreWindow support easier and more complete.  Our backlog lists some of them:  for instance we could create a Visual Studio template to help get you started writing Win2D apps without XAML.  We could go further and provide things like game loop behavior along the same lines as CanvasAnimatedControl.

We could do that, but my question is: should we?

Would you use it if we did?

Are there people out there hankering to use Win2D without XAML, or are you all using XAML in any case for other reasons?  (in which case it would be a waste of time for us to spend much more effort improving our CoreWindow support).

1. Jacques Mostert says:

Me personally would want something as awesome as XNA was. Xna let many developers create games for the MS platform when writing C++ is more performant, C# was definitely more productive.

2. Sander says:

Yes i want use win2d without xaml and am planning on writing a small game using it. The game loop stuff would off course be perfect for this. Keep up the good work!

3. fm says:

I only see myself using Win2D to integrate with existing winrt apps (so, xaml)…

4. Sander – I'm curious why you prefer the no XAML approach over doing your game as a CanvasAnimatedControl inside a XAML page?

(I have various theories why that might be, but don't want to put words into your mouth so will wait to hear what you say first 🙂

5. Imperial Dynamics says:

xaml is the best thing that has happened to UIs ever. I don't know why anyone would not want to use xaml. XAML+Win2D is a perfect combination

6. H says:

You want the basics because Microsoft could drop XAML at any time, without warning, just like they did with Silverlight.

7. goose007 says:

I would us Win2D without XAML, especially when designing games. I am using a combination of CoreWindow and CanvasAnimatedControl currently. If these were combined it would be nice to have an optional(flagged)/configurable double buffer(DrawSession). Love the project keep up the great work.

Skip to main content