This post invites you for input on a number of possible image scenarios we are considering as part of the guidance for the VSTS Rangers Virtualizing the Deployment of VSTS 2010 project, which is listed as one of the VSTS Rangers initiatives mentioned in the index post here. We would appreciate your candid input, either by adding a comment to this blog post, or by contacting me directly.
The diagram shows 7 hypothetical flavours of virtualised environments for Team Foundation Server (TFS) and Visual Studio Team System (VSTS) 2010, which can be summarised as follows:
- Base image, with the latest version of TFS) pre-requisites, including SQL Server, Windows SharePoint Services (WSS) and operating system configuration.
- Based on flavour 1, this image additionally contains TFS.
- Based on flavour 2, this image additionally contains VSTS.
- Based on flavour 3, this image additionally contains the TFS Load Agent.
- Flavours 5-7 are in essence the same as 2-4, but using MOSS.
When we ask the questions, forget about practicality and licensing, instead focus on what would be most beneficial and a value-add to “you”, in “your” environment.
So what are the questions?
- Which flavours do your regards as crucial?
- Which flavours do you regard as useful?
- Which flavours, if any, are we missing?
Thanking you for your candid feedback!