I’ve been doing some work with Hyper-V build controllers and build agents and rather than remoting to the Hyper-V host it’s easier to manage these directly from my Windows 7 workstation. This is possible but the set up process isn’t obvious so here you go:
- Install the Remote Server Administration Tools for Windows 7. Although this installs the tools to your machine, it doesn’t “enable” them so they won’t be available in your Start Menu (or anywhere else for that matter).
- Go to Control Panel | Programs | Turn Windows Features On Or Off.
- Scroll down to Remote Server Administration Tools and select the tools you want to enable. For managing Hyper-V I selected:
- Role Administration Tools\Hyper-V Tools
- Role Administration Tools\Remote Desktop Services Tools
- Server Manager
- Click OK.
You’ll now find the Hyper-V Manager in your Start Menu under Administrative Tools.